Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Here's a YouTube video of the 2nd Qualifier VTA Race from Mike's Hobby Shop Thursday, Aug. 11. This is some of the best "Nose-to-Nose" racing I've seen in all the VTA Races at Mike's. Chris Adams and Richard D Double really show you how to drive with good driver's etiquette.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAxsvaCh03M
Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone notice any significant setup changes that need to be made when changing bodystyles?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Does anyone notice any significant setup changes that need to be made when changing bodystyles?
YES, going from my 70 camaro to the 69 was a drastic change. Had car handling good with 70 then didnt handle for crap with 69 body.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

It was actually hearing you talk about the handling issue that made me ask the question on here. What did you do to get your handling back besides losing the swaybars?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

It was actually hearing you talk about the handling issue that made me ask the question on here. What did you do to get your handling back besides losing the swaybars?
Shock Positions made the biggest change to get it back in. TCD changed them but I think he layed them down more.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In my opinion, all of the HPI bodies seem to have a higher center of gravity as compared to the Pegasus Mustang or Protoform Javelin.

I don't think you would need to make significant changes when changing bodies (like having to go to different springs), but you may need to fine tune your setup, which is nothing different than racing on different tracks or different surfaces.

While bodies do have an effect, there isn't one body that offers a definitive advantage. The best example is from the 2010-2011 USVTA Nats where the top three cars (in no particular order) were the HPI Camaro, Pegasus Mustang, and Protoform Javelin.

The best advice I can offer is to run what you like (including the Parma bodies), watch/listen to what your car is doing that specific day, and tune accordingly. Most of all, just have fun.

----------

As far as the HPI '69 Camaro, 'Cuda, and Challenger you do have to be mindful about tire rub on the front fenders. On the HPI '65 & '66 Mustangs you have to watch for tire rub on the rear fenders. On the Pegasus Mustang, you can also get some tire rub on the rear fenders depending on how far forward/back you mount the body. Tire rub on all these bodies can cause handling issues. I'm not suggesting that the previous posters issue when switching bodies was caused by tire rub, but it is something to watch out for when switching between different bodies.

Another issue I've seen with different racers' VTA bodies at the track is related to Shoe-Goo (or front end reinforcement). Too much Shoe-Goo or reinforcement that is used on the front end might/will have a negative effect on handling. While that really isn't a negative to using a body, it is something that almost needs to be done with the HPI 'Cuda if you want to get more than 4 weeks of racing out of it.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 08-15-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

1 thing I noticed also when I tried TCD's 70 mustang body with my 70 camaro set up tc5 is all my rear traction was gone. Had plenty with camaro body and next to none with the 70 Mustang. That may have something to do with no rear spoiler on the mustang to push rear down. Not saying any body is better then any other, just in my case there was a significant difference when just switching bodies.

Im running alot better now with the 69 then i was the 70 but also now more familiar with chassis and alot of tweaking set up. I think everything factors into what set up works...including body
Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

Default 2011 USVTA SOUTHERN NATIONALS IN MUSIC CITY,USA

cap off coming...we are getting so many extras racers, we are going to make a decision on opening practice for Thursday as well.....got some guys coming a day early...I will post about it later this week...

Send in your entry forms or signup on RCsignups....soon

http://www.thunderrcraceway.com/Thun...ionals2011.pdf

http://events.rcsignup.com/events/di...nt.cfm?ID=2148
Old 08-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Great to see that its looking to be a big success entry wise. Hopefully next time, ill be there. Think next time, there will be a nice posse riding in from Texas.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Most of the time I buy new rims everytime I go to a new set of tires, but the rims I have still look pretty good. Does anyone recycle the VTA rims?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Most of the time I buy new rims everytime I go to a new set of tires, but the rims I have still look pretty good. Does anyone recycle the VTA rims?
I actually just tried that last week. Ive never done it so I tried baking them at 275 for awhile and didnt work. I tried letting them soak in acetone and didnt work other then for some reason it actually melted a hole in 1 of the rims but tire was still glued. If you figure out how to do Id love to know cause it would save quite a bit of money over time. My rims are always still in great shape when the tires go bald and its usually just my fronts that need replaced. Id love to be able to just change tires and move on.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've always glued up my own tires/rims. I just cut the old tire tread off of the sidewalls, pull the foam insert, and drop the rims with rubber bead attached into a pickle jar of acetone. A day later, pull 'em out of the jar, seperate the parts, shake the excess acetone off, and let 'em dry, and they're instantly ready for new inserts and tires. Works for standard touring car wheels and offroad tires, too.

Maybe it's an issue with the glue they use on the premounts? Or it could be that I use about 4 drops per bead of thin CA to glue mine up (and they don't come loose!).
Old 08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
1 thing I noticed also when I tried TCD's 70 mustang body with my 70 camaro set up tc5 is all my rear traction was gone. Had plenty with camaro body and next to none with the 70 Mustang. That may have something to do with no rear spoiler on the mustang to push rear down. Not saying any body is better then any other, just in my case there was a significant difference when just switching bodies.
I think you nailed it with your assumption. The 70 Camaro has a prominent rear spoiler--as do the 'Cuda & Challenger--but the Mustang does not. With RC cars this light and fast, I'm sure that makes a significant difference.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
I've always glued up my own tires/rims. I just cut the old tire tread off of the sidewalls, pull the foam insert, and drop the rims with rubber bead attached into a pickle jar of acetone. A day later, pull 'em out of the jar, seperate the parts, shake the excess acetone off, and let 'em dry, and they're instantly ready for new inserts and tires. Works for standard touring car wheels and offroad tires, too.

Maybe it's an issue with the glue they use on the premounts? Or it could be that I use about 4 drops per bead of thin CA to glue mine up (and they don't come loose!).
maybe I had a bad rim or least bad spot on the rim. Be nice to be able to save that extra money spent on rims each time. 3-4 race days tires are bald so gets kinda expensive lol
Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

I have heard that you don't even have to soak it in acetone. Just put it in a sealed container with the fumes from the acetone all around it, but leave it in there for like 24hours or more.

Not my experience just something I read.

As far as spoilers go it would be great if someone would make aftermarket spoilers for the shells that don't have them. As far as home made ones go, I was thinking about a pencil rule. Make your own lip spoiler from heating sheet lexan with a heat gun and then bending it to the angle you need. Attach it to the rear deck of the shell. Set a wooden school pencil on the base of the spoiler and the lip cannot extend higher than the width of the pencil. Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.