Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dont you lose punch when you jack the timing? Just asking. I always leave mine the way they come from the wrapper.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
you must wasent watching...i said they wasent good drivers...so it really did matter how fast they was going bcus they wasent running up front...but if they could of held their lines & not all over the track... you would of known...believe me...
Dude...half of us are just trying to UNDERSTAND you... ur TYPING nw, nt txtng, nt mne ppl hr r ndr 17...
Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Dude...half of us are just trying to UNDERSTAND you... ur TYPING nw, nt txtng, nt mne ppl hr r ndr 17...
I dont think English is his first language....
Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Crazy thing is I understood what Scott just posted, but I have to read starrx's posts 2 or 3 times.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
I dont think English is his first language....
Kevin, if that's true I will certainly offer my heartfelt appologies. That said, it looks like a BAD case of text-ese.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scottrik
wow!..i understood what you wrote.....i had to go back & read what i put & i understand it perfectly.....sorry for those that dont understand...yes english is my (1st) i mean first...language...(dont wanna confuse nobody)....but i found out what i needed to (no) oops!!.. i mean know
Old 02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This is in response to VTA racing at R/Car (Indianapolis) on Sunday.

I was TQ in VTA and my car was turning the fastest laps through round 2. In round 3 there were other local VTA drivers that had better top 5 & top 10 lap-times, but I drove more consistently to secure TQ. I didn't notice any VTA car that seemed to be faster than any other in a straight line during qualifying. I led most of the main (finished 2nd), and also didn't notice any cars that seemed faster down the straight than my car. That is not to say that other racers didn't notice/experience a situation where another VTA car seemed to be going faster.

Without knowing all the variables involved, it is hard to say why one car was faster (actual or perceived). Assuming that the driver(s)/car(s) in question were running a VTA legal speed control & motor, there really shouldn't be a huge difference in straight speeds. Since the switch to the 2010-2011 VTA rules, I've seen the closest racing in VTA ever. I've raced with some of the best VTA driver's in the Midwest over the past several years, and setup (not speed) normally wins the race.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is what I'm currently running in VTA:
- FT TC4 (basic setup is front diff, silver springs front/rear with 50wt front/35 rear and rear sway bar)
- Novak GTB without lipo cut-off (I use drag brake)
- Novak 25.5 Ballistic (converted from a 17.5 Ballistic that was used in RCGT. Purchased 25.5 stator directly from Novak, but reused the rotor)
- 3.87 FDR (82/53 x 2.5)
- Thunderpower 5000 50c (that is 1+ years old)
- HPI Cuda (replaced a Pegaus Mustang. Sits a bit higher so I may need to slightly adjust roll-centers)

On Sunday, I was using tires that are 3 months old. The fronts are starting to lose their tread pattern and the rears are starting to swell. Traction was high for normal club racing, so I adjusted by using less traction compound.

Other than fine tuning setup, I've run the same basic setup when I race on carpet. Some days I'm better than others, but the car is normally competitive.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

I'm looking for a set of the HPI '66 Mustang decals with the white hood and roof stripes. Does anyone know where I can find them. HPI does not sell them separately it seems.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Blinky....enough said. At our trophy race a couple of weekend ago, proved why the USVTA has a esc list. Thanks Rob
No think not. My gtb powered photon still made more power than the blenky tenkin. Tekin has no deffinant advange
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
No think not. My gtb powered photon still made more power than the blenky tenkin. Tekin has no deffinant advange
we know...but Im more of what the USVTA esc list is more fair so it doesnt even come into question....just keep from second guessing and keeps tech real easy...where you guys racing this weekend?

I want a re-match...Im not use to being a lap down...I like Thunder Jam when this pic was taken...lol...the black and white is yours...
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-thunder-jam-2009-067.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-thunder-jam-2009-061.jpg  
Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
The percieved Tekin advantage is that a Tekin will run some motors (most notably an X12) a lot cooler than many other ESCs in 'blinky' mode, thus giving more headroom in overall primary gearing.....which could be an advantage depending on the driving style, track set up, and the other competators in any given field.

Example, my GTB/17.5 X12 with optimal gearing for my track was slow in straight line speed compared to the rest of my field, and ran at the 180F mark. Simple switch to an RS(no boost!) with no gearing change brought that temp down to the 130s...allowing me to gear up radically and get my car's speed competative with everyone else while still maintaining safe temps.

This mirrors every other persons experience that I've ever talked to or even heard of with the Tekin/X12 combo.

That temp model, though, does not hold true for every motor out there when paired with a Tekin.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
we know...but Im more of what the USVTA esc list is more fair so it doesnt even come into question....just keep from second guessing and keeps tech real easy...where you guys racing this weekend?

I want a re-match...Im not use to being a lap down...I like Thunder Jam when this pic was taken...lol...the black and white is yours...
we r tring to get to carbondale this weekend so we can get our tables but if no we will be back up there for our last carpet race of the season( we got track dirrector duty this summer)
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Dont you lose punch when you jack the timing? Just asking. I always leave mine the way they come from the wrapper.
well maby maby not.
jgram was running a 4.9 frd on #2 line
i was running 5.2fdr and timing 3/16" past the sticker and would eat him up anywhere on the track for the first 4min after that mine got spungy and i had to role thru the corners better to stay in the powerband of the motor but even 7min into the main i had more strait speed but it equaled out in the infield
Old 02-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

So you geared down for more off the line and balanced it with timing for top end. ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.