Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
Ok, let's change the direction of this thread...

I have it on really good information that there are THREE new VTA bodies on the way from HPI (2) and another well-known R/C body manufacturer (1) that has not yet entered the vintage class yet. I want to know what you guys think the next three new bodies will be for our beloved Vintage Trans Am, or at least, what would you most like to see next...

Well, there better be '69 and '70 Mustang BOSS 302s and a Javelin. That's all there is to say about that.

P.S. v208 = 1 blinky LED, v212 = 2 blinky LEDs. Very easy to tech the difference.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have it on really good information that there are THREE new VTA bodies on the way from HPI (2) and another well-known R/C body manufacturer (1) that has not yet entered the vintage class yet. I want to know what you guys think the next three new bodies will be for our beloved Vintage Trans Am, or at least, what would you most like to see next...

Doesn't matter to me, I'll probably end up with one of each, as long as it's not a camaro or mustang, although I'll run anything made by Protoform.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=reenmachine;8501203
P.S. v208 = 1 blinky LED, v212 = 2 blinky LEDs. Very easy to tech the difference. [/QUOTE]

10 Pages........
Old 01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I hope 1 of those 3 is a 1971 Dodge Challenger!! Preferably a body that already has an attached front and rear bumper! What's with the detached bumpers that you have to figure out how to mount??

Before anyone says "Well there wasn't a dodge challenger in VTA back in the late 60's or early 70's." There indeed was. Here is the link to show it too. http://www.historictransam.com/Drive...Challenger.htm

He was the ONLY driver that ever used the 71 Challenger R/T.

PS. Anyone that would like to paint their body to make a replica VTA from back in the day here is a list of every driver from back then, Just click on the driver and a photo of them along with a couple photos will appear of their VTA cars paint sceme.

http://www.historictransam.com/Roster.htm
Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I don't know what to do.
You're doing it. Nothing's broke. Nothing need fixing.

As wonderful as the internet is as a source of finding and sharing information, it is not without it's downside. Unfortunately, it gives people a place to piss and moan about something they don't like while the vast majority of the people that race VTA are happy with the way things are and thus say nothing. This gives the false impression that something is broken and needs fixing. Trust me, the silent majority is standing right behind you. I guarantee that if you caved to whiners, you would have a far worse situation than you have now.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
You're doing it. Nothing's broke. Nothing need fixing.

As wonderful as the internet is as a source of finding and sharing information, it is not without it's downside. Unfortunately, it gives people a place to piss and moan about something they don't like while the vast majority of the people that race VTA are happy with the way things are and thus say nothing. This gives the false impression that something is broken and needs fixing. Trust me, the silent majority is standing right behind you. I guarantee that if you caved to whiners, you would have a far worse situation than you have now.
Nothing is changing. I meant I don't know what to do to satisfy those who continue to complain here. I'm hoping these rules will be stable for a long time.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AudioStylz
I hope 1 of those 3 is a 1971 Dodge Challenger!! Preferably a body that already has an attached front and rear bumper! What's with the detached bumpers that you have to figure out how to mount??

Before anyone says "Well there wasn't a dodge challenger in VTA back in the late 60's or early 70's." There indeed was. Here is the link to show it too. http://www.historictransam.com/Drive...Challenger.htm

He was the ONLY driver that ever used the 71 Challenger R/T.
I'm pretty sure the Sam Posey Challenger was a '70, but who's counting? I would hope that HPI doesn't add a new body to the lineup that can easily be converted from one of the existing with some creative decal work, but you never know.

The multiple piece bumpers are because the Lexan vacuum pulling process requires that the body be pulled OFF of the mold in one piece, requiring that a "negative pull" is only done on one end of the body. To get the proper look and bumper overhang on some of the bodies, they make them multiple piece. They aren't hard to install, and look a LOT better than the bodies that don't do this (Parma, Pegasus).

The third body on the list of new ones coming is using a very different technique to accomplish the correct look for the bumpers, and I'm anxious to see how it is pulled off, so to speak.

dc
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

A method I've been shown to get "undercut" at both ends of a vac body without multi-piecing the product is a 3 piece (though I suppose it could be done in 2 pieces) buck. The challenge, and it's a BIG challenge, is that the break lines for the buck HAVE to follow existing "lines" on the body or it introduces non-proper lines in the vac'd product. Vac forming pics up the tiniest of imperfections, even dust shows up as blemishes. The existing procedure of tack-on rear facia is probably the best compromise (and works very very well) though I'd be interested in seeing how your mystery company/product does it.

The guys who know what they're doing in the vac arena and turn out GREAT looking stuff (like HPI and Tamiya do) are true artists. The top contour isn't terribly difficult, it's the undercuts faithful to the original and detail work down low on the body that separate the men from the boys so to speak.

I know undercuts are tough from my resin casting experience. You can get a fair bit of "under", but it is hard as heck on the mold which is the expensive (and time-consuming) bit to get done.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Oh, and re: the Challenger in TA (back then it wasn't "VTA" as it wasn't "vintage" yet...it was currently happening!) Doug is absolutely correct that Sam Posey / Autodynamics were racing the Challenger in 1970.

Also, they weren't racing a Challenger R/T, they were racing a Challenger T/A. The biggest (only?) external difference other than decals is the hood and that hood would be a MAJOR BEAR to do in vac form other than MAYBE doing the scoop separately. It is WAY undercut, though I suppose the bright young lads at HPI could figure it out if anyone could.

Uncle Scott "taking the Challenger out to pre-grid" (thanks Ken Epsman):

And now that I think about it, "fudging the rules" would probably be appropriate in VTA as apparently this was rampant in the real series. The video history of TA has interviews with many of the period drivers including Sam Posey who candidly admitted to using an illegal engine and Parnelli Jones' reaction "welcome to the club".

Nah, let's just play on the even field that has been provided. None of us are making our careers or blowing major corporate advertising budgets here.

Last edited by Scottrik; 01-17-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by trerc
Instead of a pissing match I would much rather see Tekin fight back with a 100% USVTA approved full Spec ESC that can be puchased for less than $100. I don't really care that Novak has cornholed this class with their motor, the motor works just as well as any.
100% agreed we should put up or shut up in this case. I can not stress enough how much this was not about the USVTA.

Rob - Sorry I made you stay up late and write it out, but you made the right decision to just deal with me. You are clearly a level headed person and care about what you are doing. I cannot deny the success of your series and do plan to be part of it in the future.

I have what I need and further discussion does not need to happen here. Hopefully we will have the chance to discuss these points and how they apply to the broader market somewhere else considering you are on the ROAR electric committee. I now see you are not dead set that this is best idea for all stock racing period and I am smiling.

I will be contacting you directly to make sure I absolutely understand the box our esc must fit into. We might be able to fit 2….

I apologize to everyone again for annoying you with issues you do not feel concern you. Good racing to ya. Carry on
Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tekin Prez
We might be able to fit 2….
Good on you!!

In addition to the "better mousetrap" you have definitely proven yourselves the masters of packaging! It would be foolish for anyone to try to deny you that either.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tekin Prez
100% agreed we should put up or shut up in this case. I can not stress enough how much this was not about the USVTA.

I cannot deny the success of your series and do plan to be part of it in the future.

I will be contacting you directly to make sure I absolutely understand the box our esc must fit into. We might be able to fit 2….

I apologize to everyone again for annoying you with issues you do not feel concern you. Good racing to ya. Carry on
Tekin, this is a great move on your part, Not only for USVTA but Spec Racing in a whole, as well as for the guy who is just looking for a rock solid budget friendly ESC. I truly believe that a non programmable version of the RS Maybe the would be an absolute homerun for your company.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Oh, and re: the Challenger in TA (back then it wasn't "VTA" as it wasn't "vintage" yet...it was currently happening!) Doug is absolutely correct that Sam Posey / Autodynamics were racing the Challenger in 1970.

Also, they weren't racing a Challenger R/T, they were racing a Challenger T/A. The biggest (only?) external difference other than decals is the hood and that hood would be a MAJOR BEAR to do in vac form other than MAYBE doing the scoop separately. It is WAY undercut, though I suppose the bright young lads at HPI could figure it out if anyone could.

Uncle Scott "taking the Challenger out to pre-grid" (thanks Ken Epsman):

And now that I think about it, "fudging the rules" would probably be appropriate in VTA as apparently this was rampant in the real series. The video history of TA has interviews with many of the period drivers including Sam Posey who candidly admitted to using an illegal engine and Parnelli Jones' reaction "welcome to the club".

Nah, let's just play on the even field that has been provided. None of us are making our careers or blowing major corporate advertising budgets here.
I stand corrected on all accounts. Either way I would still like to see this body come out as a legal VTA body!

As for the one that talked about the pegasus mustang, that body is the most popular body at the track I race at with about 8 or so.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Good on you!!

In addition to the "better mousetrap" you have definitely proven yourselves the masters of packaging! It would be foolish for anyone to try to deny you that either.
Second that Mr Campbell. And while you're working on something cool for us Tekin fans to play with, how about bringing back the Black and Gold for the new esc and motor. One of my old G12C3's will always be part of my collection.....it needs a black and gold relative.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sooooo......how was your VTA racing this weekend...

for me...I got my azz handed to me by my "bud" , as he made a return this Sunday and put me down a lap...wth...oh did you guys know that......

Thunder JAM 3

Jan 23rd 2011

open 9am racing at noon

50% payback for TC and VTA
TC 17.5 $25 roar stock spec jaco blues 1400g

Thunder TA $25 25.5 4.0 fdr 21.5 4.9 fdr 1550g

for tc and ta no second class discount
payout based on entries and may be to 5th in A and and first in B and C
main spread based on half the field or 1/3 field if odd count +1 to the main.

12th scale $20 40% payback 1s lipo and open 17.5 speedo

Open TC $20 40% payback open, no really open any tire motor run sorex 24s run foams if you want open.

just saying....come see us...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.