Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
Yeah, I agree and it's the big reason I have not went with Novak since the Tekin came out. I hoped Novak would make a smaller footprint. It's a huge selling point for many. I don't know the SP esc size, but if it gets approved, it's size and cost is very low.

The speed passion has been approved and is much smaller than the novak
, bit its also sold out everywhere. Can't wait for tekin to make their spec esc...oh and you can forget about the rs EVER being vta friendly, its programmable, that's not gonna change
Old 11-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
Well, I seriously don't understand why the Tekin is not allowed in it's spec mode. It's not really, easier? If you can't tell someone is running turbo or advanced timing then...well...don't be a tech. What VTA needed is a fixed gear radio. In the end you still have people tring to do stuff to their motors and then it comes down to better batteries. Sounds like to me it's the motor guys cring they want to tweak motors, gear hard and buy better batteries? VTA too boring for you? If they are that serious why are you racing the VTA class? I thought that's what they were tring to change.

Now one more thing, bodies? Honestly no one cares about the old TA series back in the day. I'm 36 and had no idea it existed. If you want to grow the class, then I recommend allowing more vintage bodies. Perhaps you guys pick them, but no one young gives a darn about some old racing series. The younger people see "cool cars" and want to get involved. Don't we need the young people in this class? The next generation of racers? It's a good starting class, but they need to adopt rules that make more sense. Add a few bodies, go to fixed gear ratio, allow speedos that allow growth in the next class. Just my 2 cents.

Again, why do people come to a class and then tell them how they should change it.

You may not care about the vintage look, I'd say there are just as many people that do. BTW RCGT is that way >>>>>.

Nothing against Tekin, but I think 208 pretty much sealed it in Rob's and many others mind that he made the right decision.

Again class X that allows the RS is that way>>>>>

My kids don't frinkin whine and complain as much as you guys.

Are you on the Senior spec boards lobbing to allow more chassis?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not to stir the ESC pot too much, but is the GTB 2 going to be USVTA legal? The part number isn't listed in the official rules yet.

My Havoc Pro just died (finally confirming conclusively my electrical gremlins were ESC related...) and my only out of warranty options are another Havoc Pro or a GTB 2.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am in complete agreement with the rules.
I run a Havoc speed control and a Ballistic 25.5.

That being said, I don't have a problem with people making suggestions that they believe could help the class. It is very easy to tell them "no, we're not going to change anything.", without accusing them of whining or being degrading to them. That doesn't seem to promote this as a fun class at all.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by BNiels707
Not to stir the ESC pot too much, but is the GTB 2 going to be USVTA legal? The part number isn't listed in the official rules yet.

My Havoc Pro just died (finally confirming conclusively my electrical gremlins were ESC related...) and my only out of warranty options are another Havoc Pro or a GTB 2.
I have offered to send Rob a GTB 2 for evaluation. We will be building some test escs with the low profile HSs and soldered-in switch wire and smaller capacitor to make them as low profile and compact as possible for 25.5 racing.

If approved for next season, we can offer a special USVTA version built (as described above) for the 2011- 2012 series. We can no longer make the orig GTBs or Havoc Pros, although we anticipate having enough for our non-warranty program for a while.

These new GTB 2s have the same on-resistance (0.00040ohms) as our original GTBs; on resistance is the most important spec to consider when selecting a Spec controller. The OR indicates performance.

What is the OR of the Citrix controller? I could not locate published specs.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwkride
I am in complete agreement with the rules.
I run a Havoc speed control and a Ballistic 25.5.

That being said, I don't have a problem with people making suggestions that they believe could help the class. It is very easy to tell them "no, we're not going to change anything.", without accusing them of whining or being degrading to them. That doesn't seem to promote this as a fun class at all.
I understand it, but admittedly it get very tiring to hear the same, why dont you allow the Tekin or Why cant we use other bodies every other page. It's been answered and beaten to death.

It's time for that group to come up with a new idea!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
I have offered to send Rob a GTB 2 for evaluation. We will be building some test escs with the low profile HSs and soldered-in switch wire and smaller capacitor to make them as low profile and compact as possible for 25.5 racing.

If approved for next season, we can offer a special USVTA version built (as described above) for the 2011- 2012 series. We can no longer make the orig GTBs or Havoc Pros, although we anticipate having enough for our non-warranty program for a while.

These new GTB 2s have the same on-resistance (0.00040ohms) as our original GTBs; on resistance is the most important spec to consider when selecting a Spec controller. The OR indicates performance.

What is the OR of the Citrix controller? I could not locate published specs.
Thanks for putting so much effort in to your VTA program!

The out of warranty page no longer lists the GTB as available for exchange but your response implies it may be possible to exchange my Havoc Pro for a GTB. If this is the case I'll get the paperwork ready and ship it to you guys ASAP.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by BNiels707
Thanks for putting so much effort in to your VTA program!

The out of warranty page no longer lists the GTB as available for exchange but your response implies it may be possible to exchange my Havoc Pro for a GTB. If this is the case I'll get the paperwork ready and ship it to you guys ASAP.
You can send in your Havoc Pro and replace it with a HP for 59.00 plus shipping. We are not allowing exchanges into the orig GTBs, but you can still replace them. The only difference between the GTB 1s and Havoc Pros was the programming options---HP had more.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

We will be building some test escs with the low profile HSs and soldered-in switch wire and smaller capacitor to make them as low profile and compact as possible for 25.5 racing.
If I could offer ANY input at all it would be to not go to the soldered-in switch wire. If there is any weakness in the GTB 4-cell (which I am currently running in "Spec" 1/12 1s racing) it is where the wires land at the soldering. I have had to fix several of these over the years...and my eyes are getting worse so this becomes a bigger challenge each time I'm asked to do it.

I'm also not sure why a low height heat sink would be of value. Most concern for packaging seems to be footprint on TC chassis based classes, height I've only run into problems on 1/12 cars.

Looking forward to another great product from our friends at Novak!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I'm also not sure why a low height heat sink would be of value. Most concern for packaging seems to be footprint on TC chassis based classes, height I've only run into problems on 1/12 cars.
LCG

low center of gravity

some people take trans am at a club level as serious as the mod nationals

plus if you have to add weight add it where you want to and balance the car
Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

PUH-leeze.

If your name is Blackstock or Baker or one of a dozen different pro-caliber drivers you MIGHT notice the reduction of something around a half an ounce on the esc heat sink. MAYBE. At least demonstrably as measured by lap time difference. And if someone is THAT good they know where to adjust their camber link, etc. to compensate.

Then there is the MUCH larger number who can imagine that it's better but couldn't demonstrate same on the clock with a gun held to their head.

Then there are the realists (like me) who realize that "hey, no difference".

PLUS, what happened to all the folks who "...then we could run the same equipment/esc on every car we may ever run in our RC careeer..." chant? Reducing the heat sink makes the esc a non-starter for mod racing, probably even Superstock in TC's. I'd say cater to this end for the out-of-package esc and offer a lower profile heatsink as an accessory. Or most folks can find someone with a mill who'd run a couple passes over the heat sink for a few bucks. OR...take the heat sink off entirely and make an aluminum blanking plate which is basically what the 4-cell GTB did.

I guess I have to give it a big "whatever", but if it floats your boat have at it.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
LCG

low center of gravity

some people take trans am at a club level as serious as the mod nationals

plus if you have to add weight add it where you want to and balance the car
That would be me...Ive even got light weight wires on my Havok Pro....lol
Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
PUH-leeze.

If your name is Blackstock or Baker or one of a dozen different pro-caliber drivers you MIGHT notice the reduction of something around a half an ounce on the esc heat sink. MAYBE. At least demonstrably as measured by lap time difference.

Then there is the MUCH larger number who can imagine that it's better but couldn't demonstrate same on the clock with a gun held to their head.

Then there are the realists (like me) who realize that "hey, no difference".

PLUS, what happened to all the folks who "...then we could run the same equipment/esc on every car we may ever run in our RC careeer..." chant? Reducing the heat sink makes the esc a non-starter for mod racing, probably even Superstock in TC's.

I guess I have to give it a big "whatever", but if it floats your boat have at it.
I got guys buying xray 2011s to run in trans am because they think they need the edge of that car at the club level. and want to run RS PRO tekins so they have that advantage I didn't say it was me that was worried about that in TA.
My beat the crap 006 and a GTB can beat most anybody in TA at my club track. and you can ask Blackstock how beat to crap it is as he was who I almost hit when I flipped it off the track at the end of the straight at snowbirds 2 years ago!

someone actually asked me if they need a black diamond set to profile 1 (no timing) to compete in VTA. yes I know not the national rules but my track is about letting people race what they can within the spirit of the rules with existing equipment. I told them they were crazy get a havok and a 25.5 and just run leave the high cost toys for TC class.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

You can send in your Havoc Pro and replace it with a HP for 59.00 plus shipping. We are not allowing exchanges into the orig GTBs, but you can still replace them. The only difference between the GTB 1s and Havoc Pros was the programming options---HP had more.
so if "I" wanted to send you guys my old GTB and 21.5...you will send me a Havok Pro and 25.5 SS or Ballastic for how much?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

I love guys to buy high end stuff and race VTA...its funny, when me or even Dirla hand them their tails with my TC3 or 5, depends on the mood...lol...

its finally a class that you can throw money at and not change to much about your position on the grid....drop a $1000 and still be 2nd place behind my $50 TC3...yeah its funny....lol....

I really love this class....also cant wait to test the new stuff, on Wednesday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.