Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Been running a 25.5 motor in my VTA this summer against 21.5 VTA cars. I've been running a 4.1 FDR and I'm more than able to hold my own in the infield. However, the 21.5 definately has me beat on the straight. I was really surprised that the 25.5 really didn't feel slower other than the straight.

I decided to go the cheaper route and just upgraded the stator on my existing 17.5 Ballistic motor and turned it into a 25.5 motor. One thing to note is if you do go this route, you may want to buy a new blue motor ring as it doesn't come with the stator.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I am just looking into the possibilities of running this class at our indoor track this winter and was wondering if there is any chassis's that are better then others? also how do you go about a tech inspection? Never having done one just some pointers on how to approach this.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 3rd Annual Music City Championsip - Sunday, Sept. 26, 2010

hey on-road racers,

Its less than 20 days before the MCC#3. Get your rides together and prepare yourself for a great raceday and event. All the things to make this another great race for VTA and TC/RCGT have fallen into place nicely. Here is the rundown.....

Warm-up race is this Sunday Sept 12th at Hobbylobby

MCC#3 is two weeks after on Sunday the 26th at the same location

Track and pits open at 8am
Registration between 9-10am
Paint contest at 10:30am
Drivers meeting at 10:45am
Race #1 at 11am

Best 5 out of 6 scoring

BBQ and drinks for all paid entries
Entry fee is still just $15....bring the Family and get lunch for $5 per person
Trophies 1st-10th in each class

So come on out or go ahead a pre-register and get ready for one of the best VTA/TC races in the country.....

Thanks Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard

http://www.coolspringsracing.com/Mus...mpionship.html

here are some pics from last year

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=fc5bd8d003

http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2009090301/
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-darksideracing025m.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Company Representative

Whenever you have VTA races, you can PM me the info and I can post to our Facebook page:

Name
Contact
Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

2010/11 Hurricane All-Star Carpet Series……5th year

October 2nd- The Track @ Harbor Hobbies in Winthrop Harbor, IL
http://www.harbor-hobby.net/

November 6th- R/CAR Indy Motor Speedway - Indianapolis, IN
http://rcarassociation.homestead.com/index.html

December 4th- Summit RC - Ft. Wayne, IN
http://www.summitrcraceway.com/

January 22nd- Hobby Town USA of Oshkosh, WI
http://www.hobbytownoshkosh.com/

February 26th-The Track @ Harbor Hobbies in Winthrop Harbor, IL
http://www.harbor-hobby.net/

VTA will be run at all the races and was one of the biggest classes last year. This year we will be using the New 25.5 rules and as alway we have a No-1-way rule for the series.

First round is less than a month a way....

Here is the series flyer.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2010-2011 Series Flyer.pdf (181.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Company Representative

Kevin, I just posted your info (link).
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Kevin, I just posted your info (link).
Awesome....thanks for all the support you guys have given all of the VTA racers and racers in general.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdeadman
I am just looking into the possibilities of running this class at our indoor track this winter and was wondering if there is any chassis's that are better then others? also how do you go about a tech inspection? Never having done one just some pointers on how to approach this.

Thanks
The belt drive cars are smoother, but less punchy than the shaft drive cars. Depending on your driving style, both work well. I have 3 TC3s and 1 Team Magic E4RS up and running. You can't beat the Associated cars in a straight line and the TM car corners better, but both run similar lap times. I'd get a used car that has local parts support and go from there. A used TC5 or JRSX-R make top notch VTA cars also.

John
Old 09-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdeadman
I am just looking into the possibilities of running this class at our indoor track this winter and was wondering...how do you go about a tech inspection? Never having done one just some pointers on how to approach this.
Thanks
From my experience the last few years...

Tires: get a feel for how a set of the stock inserts feel when new and after the tires are almost fully worn out. If anyone is cheating with "real" inserts, the tires will feel totally different.

Motors: regardless of whether or not your club runs the motor/esc rules exactly as written, watch for cheaters running uncommon final drive ratios and/or extremely low endbell timing, that's a dead giveaway they are hiding something inside the motor or ESC.

ESC: If you stick to the new rules, you won't be doing much at all here. Conversely, if you allow the adjustable ESCs to be run with limited or zero timing profiles, you should download the ESC Tech sheet from Scotty's IIC thread that outlines how to tech all those ESCs. Even if you tech everyone's ESC before the race, someone will claim that someone else is cheating, so be prepared for a headache.

Weight: If you don't already have a scale, buy an inexpensive digital model (Staples, Walmart, etc.) and write JUDGE in big bold letters across the top of it.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Generally speaking, only available directly from Novak. Have a look at:

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...vta/index.html
Months ago, we instituted a direct-to-dealers program so that hobby shops could carry the Novak VTA-specific items. Dealers who are interested, can contact [email protected] for the application.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the mcallister stock car interiors ? how are they mounted in the bodies?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use a threaded aluminum standoff that is attachd to either the chassis top plate or to the speedo heat sink with a long set screw like 1/2 inch long. I use red loctite for the set screw into the standoff and a button head screw and washer for attaching the driver to the other end of the standoff.
If the driver is not quite located where is needs to be, I will use a piece of .060 inck thick lexan sheet as a shelf to relocate the driver figure.

Bob Oaks
Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bob o
I use a threaded aluminum standoff that is attachd to either the chassis top plate or to the speedo heat sink with a long set screw like 1/2 inch long. I use red loctite for the set screw into the standoff and a button head screw and washer for attaching the driver to the other end of the standoff.
If the driver is not quite located where is needs to be, I will use a piece of .060 inck thick lexan sheet as a shelf to relocate the driver figure.

Bob Oaks
Thanks for the information.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HPI 102993/994 Vintage Performance tires

These appear to be the same tire as the approved USVTA tire but with a more modern tread design. There is interest at out track in allowing these in addition to the Vintage Racing tires. Aside from looks, is there any performance advantage to be gained?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
These appear to be the same tire as the approved USVTA tire but with a more modern tread design. There is interest at out track in allowing these in addition to the Vintage Racing tires. Aside from looks, is there any performance advantage to be gained?
i believe if you read back thru Rob's posts, he said there wasn't any performance gain, but they wore out a lot quicker

just be careful going with them, they aren't the 'popular' tire for vintage racing - so you might have trouble finding them in stock at places

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.