Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Looking at running a Xray for VTA. Does anybody have a setup sheet for medium grip carpet using the non-slick hpi tires?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wanted to know if we can still use a small trunk spoiler (made from scrap lexan) on the mustang body?
Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeremy c
Im new to vta and our local club runs the 540 j motor any esc and 5000mah 40c lipo max. I have a question that I was hoping to get help with. I would like to know what FDR I should be trying to achieve as our longest straight is about 100ft but the track is also pretty tight and technical. as for my car its an hpi sprint 2 with a sidewinder esc (the only extra esc I have with lipo cut off) 3200 mah 25c lipo and the 540 j so any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Try starting at 5.8 FDR. Run a fan blowing through a motor vent hole onto the comm. Make short runs at first and watch the temps.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Wanted to know if we can still use a small trunk spoiler (made from scrap lexan) on the mustang body?
Thanks
Has this ever been legal???
Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Thanks
at SJCCR, we allow a little one (3/8" max) spoiler on the rear truck of the mustangs

and yes, i believe it was talked about "once upon a time" and given an 'ok' - as long as it was within reason (hence the reason we went with a 3/8" one - its roughly the same height as the 'cuda's and camaro's)
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Ok, I just want to clarify a few things because there seems to ba a little confusion on the USVTA rules, and people now are asking a LOT of questions that I never thought would (or should) need clarification. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I seem to be getting the same questions asked over and over again...

WINGS & SPOILERS
First, all decklid-mounted touring car-style "wings" are not allowed at all, on any car, no matter the fact that they are included with the bodies.

Second, spoilers or "lip" spoilers are legal for every car available. That means that even though the Mustangs don't include spoilers, you can use one of the spoilers from either the 'Cuda or the Camaro and be perfectly legal. The photos in the gallery are from a series in Florida that wasn't at the time using USVTA rules (hence the pan car with the 'Cuda body in a few shots). There were a few Mustangs using home-made spoilers. In my opinion, and by the "Spirit of the Rules," making a 3/8" spoiler that is identical in size to the 'Cuda or Camaro included spoilers is perfectly legal.

Though, keep in mind that there were at least 3 Mustangs in the top 10 cars, and none of them had a spoiler. You really don't need them to be fast—they really are only for appearance more than anything else. They may provide a little rear plant, but nothing you can't fix with chassis setup changes.
I think I should clarify this for the September rules
Old 06-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Too bad somebody doesn't have a windtunnel at their disposal to test these things. I'd speculate that spoilers at 25.5 speeds aren't all that important.

Drafting, on the other hand, is VERY important. Last outing I drafted Evoracer down the back straight and ended up driving under his car entering the sweeper. Draft sucked me right into the back of him and since i was running stiffer springs than him, my car maintained that speed entering the sweeper while his car rolled a fraction and the next thing we see is his car going into the pipes on its lid.

Oooops.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
Draft sucked me right into the back of him and since i was running stiffer springs than him, my car maintained that speed entering the sweeper while his car rolled a fraction and the next thing we see is his car going into the pipes on its lid.

Oooops.

Yeah I use that excuse all the time.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
Yeah I use that excuse all the time.
Yes, but pejota's description was so much more believable !! BTW pejota, if my car has the same problem when its behind yours....does that mean your car sucks ?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

If you're behind me then i must have done something right... like rebuilt my diffs or discovered that the neutral range on my transmitter was too wide which explains why i had little to zero low end finesse coming out of the corners last outing.

In other words, be prepared for that 2nd sunday in June!!!!

BTW- My F1 car is dialed, how about yours?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

Drafting, on the other hand, is VERY important. Last outing I drafted Evoracer down the back straight and ended up driving under his car entering the sweeper. Draft sucked me right into the back of him and since i was running stiffer springs than him, my car maintained that speed entering the sweeper while his car rolled a fraction and the next thing we see is his car going into the pipes on its lid.

Oooops.
Worst excuse ever for taking someone out!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Coming from someone who wasn't there....

Ask Evo, drafting is real and works pretty good at 25.5 speeds.

Originally Posted by Ritchie T
Worst excuse ever for taking someone out!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

Coming from someone who wasn't there....

Ask Evo, drafting is real and works pretty good at 25.5 speeds.
Shame your brakes dont huh?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

LOL

Shame i run harder springs and carry more speed entering a sweeper. I'll keep your braking idea in mind next time i'm an inch from someone's bumper and they scrub some speed off their corner entry.

Originally Posted by Ritchie T
Shame your brakes dont huh?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

Orrr dont use someone elses spring choice as an excuse for driving into the back of them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.