U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Vette body

Originally Posted by hogmansp
I wish the 67 vette body was legal. I am going to look around a little and pick one to do up and run this one as a practice body.
Scott,

there was one running at the track tonight. Nobody seemed to care. The car was an awesome blue. Hopefully he keeps running it so we can see how well it holds up.

In VTA at the local track to us there has always been the "ONE" guy who's way faster than the reat of the field. The fast guy from last year and now this year have removed themselves from VTA. I was watching the 7 cars running and any of the top 5 could win easily. The guy who was the usually last place last year set TQ in the heat. Same car, same GTB 21.5. He's worked on driving and worked on the car. I like driving, but watching from the side sometimes gives a whole new prospective. They all had a blast.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Whoops...wrong Scott. That's the problem when people have aliases unrelated to their names I guess.

Last edited by Scottrik; 01-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miket3
Scott,

there was one running at the track tonight. Nobody seemed to care. The car was an awesome blue. Hopefully he keeps running it so we can see how well it holds up.

In VTA at the local track to us there has always been the "ONE" guy who's way faster than the reat of the field. The fast guy from last year and now this year have removed themselves from VTA. I was watching the 7 cars running and any of the top 5 could win easily. The guy who was the usually last place last year set TQ in the heat. Same car, same GTB 21.5. He's worked on driving and worked on the car. I like driving, but watching from the side sometimes gives a whole new prospective. They all had a blast.

Thanks Mike I think I will pick one up. I think they are pretty cool looking. Scott
Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I hate the rule change...I really do...and the more I talk to my locals the more it seems the wrong direction for the class, they are with me on this....

Rob I really wish another alternative can be made, not just locally, but for all. I dont want to see all this division among VTA racers. PPL are finding this class to be the most out of control among all on-road. And it shouldnt be. But it is hard to promote this class to ppl when we are asking them to put more money into a "slow/budget/beginner" class.

Im asking to look at it from the racers point from across the country, and even take a vote....or maybe do what I did and pick up the phone and talk to the race directors that are on this list and see where their heads at, see what they are doing locally and see if its working...then give yourself a month away from this forum to make a desision for all of us...

cause rather you know it or not, ppl will run whatever is best for them locally, but they rather run what the national rules say...Just give it another month to decide..and talk to the tracks across the nation that run the class currently....

thanks...

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/tracks/index.html

and this is the ones that are listed
I like the 25.5 rules when it comes to just pure racing. But getting the equipment for the new rules will be painful.

Although it would be a considerable amount of work, I would like to see the new, slower rules incorporate guideline limits instead of spec equipment. That way companies would be able to offer RTR VTA kits. VTA could become as popular as the short course truck class with corporate support.

I’ve seen the SC class save tracks in my area. No reason why VTA couldn’t follow that same model to help on-road.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hogmansp
Thanks Mike I think I will pick one up. I think they are pretty cool looking. Scott
The sidepipe stickers on the HPI 'Vette are the coolest stickers in the history of, well, stickers.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think the ability for manufacturers to make VTA legal vehicles out of the box would be a nice thing. HPI could do one I am thinking if they teamed up with Novak to offer one, or, if the motor rules were opened up, they probably could make there own legal ESC and 25.5 motor as well.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I guess everyone missed the post that Rob said if Tekin made a ESC that fit the rules it would get added to the list.

So don't blame VTA's rules for keeping out other manufacturers. The rules only list current ESC that fit the rules, but based on Rob's post it should be safe to assume any new ESC that has no timing/boost and can't be externally programmed would be added to the list.

I know there's an expense involved, but Tekin could take the RS, remove the programming port, throw it in a new case and sell it for VTA.

Then you all could still buy a $200 ESC for VTA.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
I think the ability for manufacturers to make VTA legal vehicles out of the box would be a nice thing. HPI could do one I am thinking if they teamed up with Novak to offer one, or, if the motor rules were opened up, they probably could make there own legal ESC and 25.5 motor as well.
Losi could make one based on their drift car and Exceleron motors.
Hpi could make one based on the Flux.
Traxxas. Ofna. AE. Whoever.

Opening the rules to allow corporate backing would:
-Grow the class
-Solidify the rules from track to track
-Regulate costs

Ah, nevermind. I'll stop talking about this because it will never happen. We need to keep VTA locked away as our little secret.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
I know there's an expense involved, but Tekin could take the RS, remove the programming port, throw it in a new case and sell it for VTA.

Then you all could still buy a $200 ESC for VTA.
There is no programming port -- you program it via the receiver wire. It would just be a sticker change and "locking in" the existing older non-timing-advance firmware.

Then there's new part numbers, packaging, carrying inventory, distribution, etc., etc., etc.

Question is, why would they go through the trouble? They're selling the RS series faster than they can make them, and all of this timing advance hubbub will be a crazy memory in a year when all of the speedos are in the same realm of performance again. I think it was incredibly generous of them to come on here, listen to everyone, and offer to create a special firmware version, complete with a unique chime, basically just for VTA. But to ask them to create a new speedo, obsolete right out of the box, just for the class is pushing it IMO.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bigshow4u
Hopefully though this will be the last change.
It will be until someone else whines about not being able to keep up with the leaders and wants to eliminate new technology and create new rules to "even" the playing field.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 7 celler
It will be until someone else whines about not being able to keep up with the leaders and wants to eliminate new technology and create new rules to "even" the playing field.
Awesome.

You have no idea what this class is about.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

If someone who's doing tech can't tell the difference between a distinct set of light flashes and tones, they shouldn't be doing tech.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think it would be cool to have 2 classes in VTA. Have one for Beginners (like me) where it uses the 25.5 and a "Pro" class that uses 17.5. Both classes use 2S lipo's.

That way those who do wanna go fast but race a VTA class Can. Best of both worlds, old cars and fast cars. But thats what i would like. Highly doubt it would happen though but it would be cool.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
If someone who's doing tech can't tell the difference between a distinct set of light flashes and tones, they shouldn't be doing tech.
Feel free to do tech at your track.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
obsolete right out of the box, just for the class is pushing it IMO.
Like you said Tekin has a good ESC and strong sales for all the other classes. But for VTA the idea was to be able to take out old, slow, cheap stuff and race it for fun.

The class has gotten away from that some, but sticking to never programmable/no timing esc's is a good step.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.