Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

not sure what I think yet...Ill get back to ya
Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by robk
http://www.teamnovak.com/product_exchange/index.html

That link is their current exchange program. Hopefully we will get the full lowdown shortly.

Right now i don't see anyone making anything without some timing advance in it, and no way to externally program the esc.
and WELL WHAT HAPPENED if it aint broke dont fix it , rule change .what happened to 27 turn and 17.5 cheap class not no more .and fdr roll out no more why not add two wheel pan cars to class and drop front drive out of four wheel drive class to make it a tru trans am car class and then learn to drive the cars . the way it is now has been working good , but it is a nother class that if the cars dont brake change rules so they brake to sell more parts if they are going to fast bye a mini.just two cents but means nothing anyway

Last edited by ioyasm; 12-29-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ioyasm
and WELL WHAT HAPPENED if it aint broke dont fix it , rule change .what happened to 27 turn and 17.5 cheap class not no more .and fdr roll out no more why not add two wheel pan cars to class and drop front drive out of four wheel drive class to make it a tru trans am car class and then learn to drive the cars . the way it is now has been working good , but it is a nother class that if the cars dont brake change rules so they brake to sell more parts if they are going to fast bye a mini.just two cents but meens nothing anyway
Yes...meens nothing not ritten en inglish.

And buy all means bye a mini, bye 'em buy the gross. By by now.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Yes...meens nothing not ritten en inglish.

And buy all means bye a mini, bye 'em buy the gross. By by now.
sorry jethro maybe i didnt take spelling or typing but we also run minis with johnson motors not southern red dots but stock johnsons and the vta are not that much faster on our track racing.and maybe not you but somebody wants to make vta slower.da
Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

and WELL WHAT HAPPENED if it aint broke dont fix it , rule change .what happened to 27 turn and 17.5 cheap class not no more .and fdr roll out no more why not add two wheel pan cars to class and drop front drive out of four wheel drive class to make it a tru trans am car class and then learn to drive the cars . the way it is now has been working good , but it is a nother class that if the cars dont brake change rules so they brake to sell more parts if they are going to fast bye a mini.just two cents but means nothing anyway
The current rules allowed certain racers to destroy the field. These updates will ensure that racing goes back to the slower, closer experience we started with. It will also be cheaper in the long run. No more ESC of the week (those poor LRP owners). No more 2-3 day tires. Less body damage. Etc, etc. You may not have seen any of these pitfalls at your track, but it was happening and it sucked. I think minis are cool too, but they ain't cool like muscle cars!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

and maybe not you but somebody wants to make vta slower.da
Yup, me. Among others. Taking it back to what was originally intended. Only going, to my estimation, about half way back, but we'll take what we can get. Definitely a move in the right direction.

Oh...and if you're going almost as fast as 2s/21.5 VTA with Minis powered by stock Johnson or Mabuchi silver cans you're doing something wrong in VTA. VERY wrong. Actually I SHOULD ask what you consider to be "close"...half a second difference? A second? More?

They ran 2s / silver can as the VTA spec at Seattle Indoor and I ran my 4-cell / 27T there...THAT was fairly close.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I guess will see a lot of comments regarding the new rules

With the new rules I think that the racing will be closer but...
(Here is my personal opinion)
I think that for me the new rules won't work, since I don't see the point of selling 2 Tekin RS for GTBs. (not looking at the brands, but the features)
I use this class to introduce the hobby to my 9 year old son, he is been running it for about 3 months now, and bought him an advance timing ESC because I know he was going to get a better driver with time, and that when he is ready to jump into a faster class I won't have to spend money again on a ESC; he started with no timing advance, no turbo features and now he is able to control the car with all the power/features that the ESC can give him... and always asking for more speed, so he'll probably be moving to a faster class soon

For me I'll stay in the class if the local guys decide to run it. but there were conversation already to run GT, oh well only time will tell... I like the TA for the bodies styles

and regarding the weight on the car, it's all true, seems to be easier to drive them with a little extra weight, at least on 1500g, never try 1550g
Old 12-30-2009, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokefan
Well it looks like I may be selling my Tekin here around fall unless I use it in a rcgt car. So Novak will offer a exchange on the SS motors right?
Yes, Novak will do an exchange on the ss motor.

http://www.teamnovak.com/cs/web_opti...dex_motor.html

There may be a chance locally to just shut the boost and turbo off completely or even run pre boosted software in our Tekins. We'll have to pow wow and see what everybody thinks.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The link below is to the 2010 rules for the USVTA. These rules will not be enforced until September 1, 2010. There will be nine months to adapt your cars to comply with these rules. I understand that times are tough right now, so there should be plenty of time to swap, sell, or save the money to have the correct equipment.

I understand that there will be those who will disagree with what has been done here, but right now the biggest issue with any class is the ESC. There is no extra tech required with the controllers that will be allowed, since they have no timing advance.

Novak Electronics will be establishing a portion of their web store dedicated to Trans Am. They will have complete 25.5/Havok systems available, as well as exchanges for the 21.5 SS motors and other items. The 25.5 Ballistic stator is available right now for those who have a Ballistic motor.

My hope is that the cars will be more drivable and bring the racing closer than it has become in the last 6-8 months. I hope these changes will make things stable for the months and years to come.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/2010rules.pdf
wow..you just probably completely killed this class in my area

what i really want to see IN WRITING is Novak's exchange policy for all us that own the 21.5SS Pro motors..

and also, how the havoc are going to protect the motors should the sensor wire come out and the speedo switch to brushed mode?!??

Last edited by k_bojar; 12-30-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by k_bojar
wow..you just probably completely killed this class in my area

what i really want to see IN WRITING is Novak's exchange policy for all us that own the 21.5SS Pro motors..

and also, how the havoc are going to protect the motors should the sensor wire come out and the speedo switch to brushed mode?!??
If your "area" is this limited in it's thinking...there is always the option to stay with the existing spec. NOBODY is strong-arming anyone into change.

Why is it, neccessarily, Novak's responsibility to create an exchange of obsolete motors for current ones? Did Trinity ever exchange Cameleon 19T for Komodo 19T when the time came to change? Uh...no. While it would be nice, Novak have absolutely ZERO obligation in this matter. That said, IF you happen to have the current motor (Ballistic 21.5) you can either exchange the complete motor for a complete Ballistic 25.5 for $44 plus shipping OR purchase a stator assembly for $35 plus shipping.

And what does ANY esc do to "protect" motors should the sensor wire come out? I don't know this for fact, but if it puts your mind at ease I'll test it...I'm pretty sure the whole thing rolls to a stop if the sensor wire pulls out until you plug it back in. Being alarmist certainly doesn't help your case or anyone elses, and this is absolute foolishness at it's zenith.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pejota
BTW Kevin, the ol' Pro4 is still kicking in RCGT livery these days. LOVE THAT CAR!!!!!
Thats Awesome man its good to see you are getting some good use out of it.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

*deleted* keeping opinion to myself.

Last edited by lowcel; 12-30-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was hesitant to try the Trans AM class when it first came out because I would have to buy certain tires/rims/body and I waited to see if it would last in the MD/VA/DC area. After a while the class grew and I decided to run in it. My first set-up was brushed motor 4 cells NIMH battery. Running against the brushless lipo just was not fast enough to compete and I went to the brushless setup and was staying with everyone. Then when one of the locals got a Tekin ESC with the power boost it changed the class. Watching him blow by 3-4 cars on a 60 foot straight away meant that if I wanted to be completive I would have to make a major purchase… That’s when I decided that it was time to leave TRANS AM. This was my choice to leave and what I did was give away the TRANS AM bodies and tires to fellow racers who I thought money was tight and help them stay in the hobby. I do not have any plans to go back soon as once again a potential great novice class is slowing losing its appeal to the mainstream hobby because of the ESC that’s one of the best around but expensive for the general racers. With the new rules in place this might keep the class going, time will tell….
Old 12-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I love the guys that post about quitting. We're all small fish in a large pond, get over it, know your role.

A fair amount of people racing VTA in the first place are people that have raced other TC and were tired of high costs. Under the new rules we will be back to lower cost, better racing. The racing will be more fun for many more people. I have seen newer drivers get way in over their head in terms of speed in the last year.

I sold a Tekin for $135 (in less then 10 minutes) a little while back, so coming up with $150 for a Havoc system is really not that big of deal.

I plan on having to buy 1 less body and 1 or 2 less sets of tires a season under the new rules. That also almost covers the cost of the system. Why bitch just to bitch?

How can we really be losing anything?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The link below is to the 2010 rules for the USVTA.

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/2010rules.pdf
robk - a man among bitches. (keep up the good work, sir).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.