Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I am not a VTA racer. I admire the passion and enthusiasm all the loyal VTA guys have for this class. For me the current format is too expensive for me. I don't think there should be changes made in the current class rules for drivers like myself. I would like to see those in charge consider an additional class in VTA for those on a tighter budget as suggested by f1larry. I think the explosion of the Slash spec classes is an example of how successful a spec class can be. There are obviously other factors involved such as that it's off road, the crashing and banging involved and the toughness of the chassis. In Maryland they've started a TT01 spec class, which is a less expensive chassis. They have limited hop ups, tires restrictions, a fixed gear ratio, and handout silver can motors that are turned in after the race. The silver cans have been tuned by Doc. This is just food for thought and may be a chance to expand the VTA series. I hope the VTA series keeps growing.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The simple fix for VTA -> Silver Can Motors.

Cheap, slow, even, no "turbo", easy to tech. Everything USVTA claims it is meant to be.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mark_stnly
My opinion is if the class does change to a spec speedo make it one you don't have to use a hand held device or laptop to tune it. But to me I don't care what happens it is a competitive class and we all run on the same tires. If we go all spec and then we have a pro driver racing with us and he wins by 1 or 2 laps with the same equipment like everyone else, then we know to step up our driving abilities.

Why I said that is. At my track I have driven most of my competition's cars that I beat. Their cars are as fast as mine if not faster. It is their driving ability. I am no pro driver of any means. It seems to me that the ones that are complaining are the ones that don't have their driving abilities up to par yet.

Let's stay with the rules we have and suck it up and RACE. More complaining that goes on will eventually ruin the class.
That is the point, if everyone had equal motor and ESC, then no one can complain it is the equipment and all you would need to do is learn to drive better and learn to set up the car better. Unfortunately there are too many people that think they are great drivers and only think that it is someone elses better equipment that is beating them, they don't want to admit that the hours and days of practice and the hours spent working on the car may be why tha other guy is beating him. Of course the same guy that thinks it is better equipment beating him is the same guy that will accuse someone who beat him running the same equipment of cheating.

It just seems that the only way to get new people into the hobby would be to have an easy to understand and lower cost option set of rules/specs to understand. Someone new to the hobby will quit just as fast when all the rules and specs change causing the need to spend more and more money.

Maybe USVTA needs a spec and an open division, although an open division would be TC. I do think what makes everyone so pationate about this class and why they want to bring in all the new technology is that everyone likes the realism of the car looks. With how fast this class has gotten why wouldn't some just move to a TC class (because the cars don't look real).
Old 11-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

WHATS SPEC

Last edited by 37 RACING; 11-21-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

'usually' the guys that bitch about the ESC thing aren't being held back by their equipment but by their lack of driving skill. Sure the fast guys that make the podium have the more expensive ESC's but if you watch them they're also not out there banging boards. Instead they're making fast consistent laps, fast guys are fast and that's that. A fast guy could take your car, set it up and still beat you. Fast guys practice, this is why they're fast, so instead of bitching about it practice driving and making clean consistent laps and someday you too will be fast....regardless your equipment.

I wouldn't have any problems ditching the timing boost on my Tekin but I don't think they should make the Tekin illegal when the timing can be shut off completely.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Perhaps VTA has run it's natural course, and is no longer the "economic & speed friendly" class it started out as.

I AM NOT SAYING THE CLASS IS DEAD...

The class is still strong and a lot of fun, but maybe it has fulfilled it's intended purpose and is now something else. Why try and choke out the natural evolution, 90% of the people that run it aren't the ones that have any problems with it.

How about we leave VTA alone and SPEC out the HPI Formula 10 cars? Cheap and cool looking, entry level, rubber tire, silver can/Tekin FX, Orion SPEC 2400 lipo. It'll get 3 good years before it runs a muck, and then we do something else.

Slash racing was fun. Then SC10 showed up and was thrown into the same class. Or when 17.5 brushless systems started creeping in. Then boost was invented, and on, and on, and on......

Ben
Old 11-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trerc
'usually' the guys that bitch about the ESC thing aren't being held back by their equipment but by their lack of driving skill. Sure the fast guys that make the podium have the more expensive ESC's but if you watch them they're also not out there banging boards. Instead they're making fast consistent laps, fast guys are fast and that's that. A fast guy could take your car, set it up and still beat you. Fast guys practice, this is why they're fast, so instead of bitching about it practice driving and making clean consistent laps and someday you too will be fast....regardless your equipment.

I wouldn't have any problems ditching the timing boost on my Tekin but I don't think they should make the Tekin illegal when the timing can be shut off completely.
That really is not the point of what is being said. I agree with you that Fast guys will be fast with whatever equipment they have. The point is there are not enough people like me who know that the lack of equipment in my pit is not the reason I can't keep up with the fast guys, I know it takes practice and set up skills, but to the observer or the guys that can't admit it is their driving will think it is the others equipment that makes them fast. If it was spec they might finally understand it is their driving, but like I said before that same person will think others have to be cheating to be faster.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Oh here we go again yes I agree with a SPEC class for VTA and if you wana keep it simple (this has been brought up before) Run the Novak 21.5 and OR the Havoc or GTB speedo and thats it. now we all have the same equiptment. The electronics should all be equal. End of story. When the Tekin RS came out I don't think anyone knew how powerful that Speedo could be and we found out at the 1st Hurricane race. So Rob and Co made a rule change that the Turbo function can not be used. That rule applys for all VTA racing. Now it's up to each club if they chose to inforce the rules. But as it stands now my opinion is with all the diffrent speedos aloud (as for new ones on the way) then the 21.5 should be a open motor let us run any 21.5 made it helps out all the manufactures instead of just Novak. untill then I will enjoy the class and when and if things get too out of hand rules will change as needed. if not.. BYE.. The headace just wont be worth it
Old 11-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

$15.00
Old 11-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

I don't know if that $15 motor will fit in all of our $500 touring cars. That boss on the end that houses the bushing won't fit in my Type R.

I say we switch to a spec pre-mount (Jaco/Sorex) tire and run TC bodies. The VTA movement could influence a 21.5 TC rubber tire as stock. Any 21.5, any speedo, boost it if you got it, and ROAR 5000 lipo.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Looks like there should be enough clearance but it would be close.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by or8ital
Looks like there should be enough clearance but it would be close.

I think I tried it last year. It's a no go.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

I believe this is the same motor (perhaps its not?), except the 20T version. From this picture it would clear easy.

EDIT: Here is the 27T version

The HPI motors are only $13. Tires are speced at HPI so might as well make the motor too!
Old 11-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

This one would pop wheelies....

Old 11-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Who else is bored with this discussion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.