U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
didnt cya there...whats up?
im deployed.. dont get to race off road or T/A till AUG...but i have all my new T/A gear at the house waiting for me...im still more focused on offroad but im also gonna take T/A a little more serious then the last time..so B-main drivers watch out
Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

be careful Rick and cya soon
Old 04-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm just about to embark on my first foray into VTA - having picked up the 68 Camaro body, and the rims and front tires -neither track in the area has the rear rubber right now - one doesnt' order it because "noone runs it" and the other can't keep it on the shelf because everyone is buying it the day it comes in...

My car will truly be "vintage" - Kawada SV10 running 4 cell and a 27 turn motor running on FM - I finally found a class where all my vintage gear will actually be competitive
Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thirtybird
My car will truly be "vintage" - Kawada SV10 running 4 cell and a 27 turn motor running on FM - I finally found a class where all my vintage gear will actually be competitive
"Truly Vintage" is cool. The competitiveness of the motor/battery combinations has been beaten to death on the previous 300-odd pages of this thread, but the issue seems to work itself out for most racers. You can dust off some old gear and go racing. Once you decide to do VTA on an ongoing basis, you can get the 21.5/lipo stuff or whatever everyone else runs. You'll quickly find that out and sort it from there.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I wouldn't mind running old Midnight stockers and NiCads. But I gotta say that there's something beautiful about having one battery that runs forever and a motor that never begs for attention.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhberger
"I'm a cheap bastard, so I wouldn't mind running old Midnight stockers and NiCads. But I gotta say that there's something beautiful about having one battery that runs forever and a motor that never begs for attention.
And that is why I love VTA and Brushless/Lipo
Old 04-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
And that is why I love VTA and Brushless/Lipo
This past sunday we ran a 5 minute qualifier, waited about 10 minutes for people to make some adjustments and then ran another 5 minute qualifier. No charging, no topping off. Beautiful.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Have any clubs been experimenting with 1s lipo/13.5 as a powertrain option?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Have any clubs been experimenting with 1s lipo/13.5 as a powertrain option?
Check out this thread...(http://www.rctech.net/forum/nebraska...-class-41.html). A user by the name of Hobbyplex said they were going to test a 1s/13.5 combo this past weekend. I assume that they were testing at the Hobbyplex track in Omaha, Nebraska.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

got some pics posted of the 2009 USVTA NATS...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post5714568
Old 04-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Check out this thread...(http://www.rctech.net/forum/nebraska...-class-41.html). A user by the name of Hobbyplex said they were going to test a 1s/13.5 combo this past weekend. I assume that they were testing at the Hobbyplex track in Omaha, Nebraska.
Yes it was. I think he said that he was about .8 of a second slower than the 21.5 / 2s combo.

Jim
Old 04-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Wonder what a 10.5 would do ?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jhberger
"Truly Vintage" is cool. The competitiveness of the motor/battery combinations has been beaten to death on the previous 300-odd pages of this thread, but the issue seems to work itself out for most racers. You can dust off some old gear and go racing. Once you decide to do VTA on an ongoing basis, you can get the 21.5/lipo stuff or whatever everyone else runs. You'll quickly find that out and sort it from there.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I wouldn't mind running old Midnight stockers and NiCads. But I gotta say that there's something beautiful about having one battery that runs forever and a motor that never begs for attention.
the chassis is designed for saddle-packs, so round cells are actually a better fit. I will actually be digging out the 2000 maH ni-cds as I only have a single 4 cell nimh pack. P2k motor or a midnight 2 for real fun
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Originally Posted by kwkride
Yes it was. I think he said that he was about .8 of a second slower than the 21.5 / 2s combo.

Jim

The Plex runs a 5.0 FDR limit on the 21.5's also. Reminded me of the early days of VTA when the FDR limit was on the 17.5/4 cell combo. The guy running the combo was in the A at the TA nats so it really is a slower combo. He's normally near the front but not with the 13.5/1S.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
No mistake, I've built a full-on USVTA-spec TC5R now with a Havoc / 21.5 and Orion 3200 LiPo (bought cheap, so we're trying to economize SOMEWHERE ) and look forward to running it in a USVTA Nats should it happen to drift somewhere to the west of central US. Heck, I look forward to running it PERIOD somewhere...cutting up our Club-Spec class would be a tough nut to crack as it's hard to argue with success.
When you get a chance put a good battery, such as SMC or trakpower into your machine. If you want proof how much faster it is, look at my times in qualies #1 and #2 from your race (Where I ran Orion 3200's), and compare it to Qualie #3, #4, and the main where I ran SMC.

Sorry to say, but the Orion 3200's just don't seem very good.

Paul
Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Ho ho ho...don't EVEN get me started on the bill of goods we got sold on LiPo (and brushless in general). Not just VTA, but RC in general.

Remember how we'd be past "battery of the week" wars? Set it and forget it, etc? What a freakin' fantasy some of you lived in.

Now folks are trading up LiPos every bit as fast as they did round cells, except instead of $50-60 per pack they're $120 per pack. "20C, nope, gotta have 25C now. What's that, they've got a 30C? I got a 35C. Man I wish I'd held off another week 'cause now Willy Winner has that hot new 40C battery from XYZ Batteries, I gotta get me wunna them." Ad infinitum.

I sit here laughing my a$$ off. Seriously. It's really sad, but what are you going to do? Cry? I warned folks for 2 years. Bob Stormer (of all people) warned people for two years. And here we are on the treadmill again. Same steps, twice the price. And it ain't going to slow down.

Fact: if my el cheapo Orion 3200's ain't enough I'm good with that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.