Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-28-2009, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Michal101
Yep, brand spanking new with the exception of running them approximately 15 minutes on our carpet track. So, I will try running it outdoors and then bring it in on the rug and see what happens with Nash's setup suggestion as well.

Thanks
There was a kid at our track last weekend who had just glued up a new set. His car was like being on ice. I had him stay on the stand and blip his throttle as I used a fresh cinder block to rub his tires on. About 30 seconds per tire at half throttle. Dropped his car back down and it was night and day. He was then hooked up. We have 6 inches of snow outside so there's no place to find clean pavement here.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I understand that...I normally have my lil girl and my nephew with me...not to mention 2 extras that I help....also most of the advise is for ppl starting from scratch...if you have 27t/4cells...go for it....but you can get the orion 2400 around $30...and some of our locals are selling their 3200 orions for around $30-$40.used...

good luck
Thanks, that was what i had hoped to hear. My days of trying to be track champion are over. I just want to have fun racing and enjoy my kids getting into the sport. One of my gripes about RC of late is the cost for kids to get into it. Our local track is having a large off road trohy race this weekend with an 8 minute main. So to run in it you have to have a lipo. I don't think that is helping them get new people on the track. But I guess when I started out we had to buy a gold tub RC-10 and then buy $100 worth of item such as bearings, etc. to make them competitive. After goign through the tire and battery wars on carpet oval several years ago I had lost interest in buying new stuff each week just to try to win. This is what appealed to me about VTA. Is sure seems like most of the guys who run VTA are very helpful such as yourself. I really appreciate it.

Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default I need a set up for my USVTAM TC5

Hi
If theres anyone out there that can help me with a set up for my TC5 Im gonna start running in this class ,I have never run it but it was a rubber car set up for outdoors though and not carpet .
Im not looking for the killer set up but I am going to run brushed 27 stock with 4200 matched 4 cell back set up with the 70 mustang boss body.
droop,shocks,roll outs,battery placement etc would be great .PM me or if you want to send to my email that would be so cool . [email protected]
thanks in advance to everyone out there across the river from Canada ayy
Matt
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-photo0200%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
....but you can get the orion 2400 around $30
A HUGE caveat is in order on this point. The USVTA rules clearly state that LiPo's must be ROAR-approved, and the Orion 2400 is definitely not ROAR-approved nor does it sound like Orion intends to submit that particular battery for approval. Now, if your club specifically allows batteries that are not ROAR-approved then you're in like Flynn. I WOULD ADVISE SPECIFICALLY ASKING THE QUESTION RATHER THAN ASSUMING AND FINDING OTHERWISE. Be aware that this battery would be illegal at, say, the USVTA Nats, any ROAR event in the future, current events like the Snowbirds going on this week that use ROAR rules, and at any club that relies on ROAR for their insurance.

Now, the Yeah Racing 3200 IS ROAR-approved. Dinball has 'em on e-Bay selling them two packs for $70 plus $10 for shipping, creating a net price of $40/each for brand new packs that people have been giving generally positive reviews of. Worth considering anyway. I've got a couple en-route for my 21.5/lipo car I'm building. $130 Havoc/21.5 combo (brand new), $40 LiPo battery (brand new), $70 Spektrum receiver (already had), $30 servo (already had), $70-ish for new VTA tires, wheels, body, $200 for a lightly used TC5R roller. Looks like something over $500 for WAY more car than is needed for VTA and certainly a better car than I am driver. I deserve it though...I've been flogging my poor TC4 "Team" tubby for 2 years now that was 100% builit up (other than body/tires/wheels) with stuff I had stashed in boxes in the basement. And it needs a break. Plus I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a TC5.

Last edited by Scottrik; 01-28-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You'll enjoy those Yeah!s in your VTA.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default ORION 2400 LIPO

On the issue of the ORION 2400 Lipo. I was told it wasn't submitted to ROAR because it wasn't really considered a 'competition' battery. But this thing is super popular, and performs great...SO!

Contact Joe Pillars at Team Orion, and politely ask them to please submit them to ROAR so they can be used in the VTA type racing.

[email protected]

ROAR now has TWO submission dates per year, so I don't beleive anything new can/will be approved before the first one (Since they cut off on Dec. 31st)

I run the 2400 and the 3200 (which ever one i happen to have charged), and I'm hoping to get to try it soon with the Mabuchi Silver Can motor too. (I'm running out of B/L setups)
Old 01-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Doesn't a mfg have to include $500 big ones to have something ro...... approved. For a $35 battery it's not worth the $ for the "approval".
Old 01-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rockin_bob
Doesn't a mfg have to include $500 big ones to have something ro...... approved. For a $35 battery it's not worth the $ for the "approval".
Yeah Racing did it.

Orion aren't making one or two of any battery they make, they are likely making maybe a thousand per batch. That first 1000 batteries have 50 cents added to their cost that opens them to a whole 'nuther market--customers who are required to run ROAR-approved packs. 50 cents is a bit less than 1.5% of that $35 retail price. Now spread it over the total production of that item, in the case of Orion that's likely to be at LEAST a few thousand and quite possibly several thousand. Suddenly that $500 becomes pretty small.

I'm sure that what Orion are looking at is that they introduced the 2400 pack to get little Timmy and Mikey who are "bashing" in their cul-de-sac to "move up" from their 1700mah NiCd stick packs to LiPo. I'd bet they didn't envision racers actually using these packs...I mean when was the last time ANYBODY ran anything with that little energy in it? The trend racers have been demanding is more-more-MORE. Plus they've already got a 3200 pack that they've already paid to have approved at a more profit-friendly price point aimed at racers, a group not well-known for fiscal restraint...unlike Timmy and Mikey who have to pester Mom to get them a battery AND charger, and Mom isn't seeing the "need".

I would guess the reason Orion have stated they don't plan to submit the 2400 is purely economic, and not because of the $500. That's small change for even a moderate-sized company. The rub is the relative price-points and profitability in the individual niches they're targeting. And you know what...there's not a darn thing wrong with that. If they don't maximize profit they don't get to stay in business.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Hi all, my local track at hobbytown Glen Burnie Maryland started Trans-Am in their outdoor season last year. It is a fun class and has added a few new members to our racing club. Here is a pic of my ride, it's an original T2 with a brushed system.U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-dd03.jpg More pics to come
Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rockin_bob
$500/35= 30 packs (roughly)to sell figureing cost, I'm sure if made legal, especially since ROAR has added this class, it would sell more than an additional 30 packs. my .02
Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Something Darkside and I have kicked around to get more racers and help out new racers...but have not gotten around to doing it..is a Beginners clinic or new racer clinic, what ever you want to call it but it's basically some of the more seasoned racers with spare/old cars bringing them to the track for New racers (with their own car or without any cars or gear) come out, learn some car/gear/radio settings and driving basics and the typical race procedures...all without having to buy anything. It'll help newbies know before how the races flow and should help them be less stressed and enjoy the racing more when the big day comes! We just need to get them 'hooked' and the TA class/cars are perfect for this! It could also help rookie racers get a better handle on driving and setups. It would be 'classroom' for 30 min or so (while packs are charging) then 10min of track and would cycle. So you can learn the theory (lines, throttle control, etc, etc.) then go out and practice what you just learned while you have seasoned racers watching and help folks. Even have a mock race at the end of the day. I'd do it for free and I'm sure darkside would also. I use to pay big bucks for a similar type of class when I raced 2wheelers onroad.

I'm starting a document for this 'class' but don't want to get too detailed and just cover most of the basics.

If you can get folks to show up I think it could be a great thing...what do you guys think?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by miller tyme
$500/35= 30 packs (roughly)to sell figureing cost, I'm sure if made legal, especially since ROAR has added this class, it would sell more than an additional 30 packs. my .02
This isn't even CLOSE to how that's figured I over-simplified my example (for example, failed to describe how that 1.5% actually gets marked up as it passes through the distribution food chain, it ends up being a fair bit more than 1.5% to Orion as the originator), but yours is, I'm afraid, illustrating fine points with a Crayon. BUT, the point is moot...I'm quite certain that the $500 has nothing at all to do with how or why the decision has been made by Orion. It is a decision driven by marketing and economics.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, I know my example was not accurate speaking from an economics perspective, but point being as you stated. $500 is a drop in the bucket to the bigger picture, especially if it makes an increase in sales.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

But the point is it DOESN'T increase sales overall for them...it only increases sales of their lowest margin battery at the cost of sales of their substantially better margin batteries. THAT'S marketing. Not seeking approval is actually a pretty brilliant move on their part.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.