Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

MILLER TYME......Run XRAY T2 steering Knuckles that will take care of your
rub......It worked for the "MITCH"
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
I just made a minor update to the Rules page on the USVTA website to note that no other 21.5s are in the future plans for this class.

Somehow, I don't see this question going away anytime soon, though.
I think thats all that can be asked. When future noobs ask about the motor options we can all just sigh and then provide the link to the rules. Doug you have done your part on this and so much more. Its time for the rest of us to front for you when someone ask about the motor options. I dont think people are being antagonistic about it. They are just to lazy to to read back in the thread.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

The regulars who post here can add a link to USVTA in their sigs to help lead newbs to see the rules. Like this.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

when Im asked I just tell them to put $150 bucks on the list for the Novak Havok 21.5.....I think if you have anyone trying to get involved in this class...we need to push this system to save them money and frustration later....
Old 01-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by haywood
Thanks darkside,as for the the havok our club did not choose that motor option this year so I have little knowledge about it.Sorry for bothering you guys.

no bother...questions are welcome anytime as long as they are positive post.

if you are running only a couple of options...I dont know anyones $$$$$ limit, but I do know value...and I have had around 8-10 TA cars at one time...and believe me if the Havok system was out last summer...I would have had 3 or 4 of them....

you cant ignore the fact that 27t motors will cost you money regardless....even if you dont care about winning, the motor will fall off to a point of not running..or ruining it.... that means getting it cut,brushes, ect...which means buying more equipment to do the job...or you could just buy a new 27t for around $40...that will need that same up keep.. the same thing goes for 4 cell battery....even with hand me downs....you wll still need to buy euipment to keep these things at some half way good condition...I know we have volunteers at every track that helps with these things...but it comes a time to let the old tech go...

if we are truly going to help this class...we need to stay positive and promote the "REAL"....club level racing requires lipo($30), charger($45), Novak Havok($129), used TC3($50)

and for the guys that have deep pockets...do what I do...buy alot of extra suff and give it away.....lipos,charger,tools,bodies,tires,rims,par ts,batteries, ect...this is outta my pocket ....and if you are not on that level...buy some of the things and sell them to your not as rich as you on payments...

bottom line lets put them on the right track to start with...so they dont waste any money....
Old 01-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default NICE

DARKSIDE, that was an outstanding post. If more folks had your attitude about RC, the fun level would rise to the top. There is a group at my track that tries to do the same. We just built a TC3 for a great kid. We even gathered up a radio and all the support gear a rookie will need for a while. He just won his 1st novice race. We all feel like proud parents. Glad to see the nicer side of RC for a change. Keep up the good work my Friend.
Big Jim
Old 01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
no bother...questions are welcome anytime as long as they are positive post.

if you are running only a couple of options...I dont know anyones $$$$$ limit, but I do know value...and I have had around 8-10 TA cars at one time...and believe me if the Havok system was out last summer...I would have had 3 or 4 of them....

you cant ignore the fact that 27t motors will cost you money regardless....even if you dont care about winning, the motor will fall off to a point of not running..or ruining it.... that means getting it cut,brushes, ect...which means buying more equipment to do the job...or you could just buy a new 27t for around $40...that will need that same up keep.. the same thing goes for 4 cell battery....even with hand me downs....you wll still need to buy euipment to keep these things at some half way good condition...I know we have volunteers at every track that helps with these things...but it comes a time to let the old tech go...

if we are truly going to help this class...we need to stay positive and promote the "REAL"....club level racing requires lipo($30), charger($45), Novak Havok($129), used TC3($50)

and for the guys that have deep pockets...do what I do...buy alot of extra suff and give it away.....lipos,charger,tools,bodies,tires,rims,par ts,batteries, ect...this is outta my pocket ....and if you are not on that level...buy some of the things and sell them to your not as rich as you on payments...

bottom line lets put them on the right track to start with...so they dont waste any money....
For a newb to VTA what lipo do you recommend for $30? I don't know anything about Lipos but have been lead to believe I need the over $100 dollar lipos to be competitive. I am in the position where I have ran RC for over 20 years off and on. Now I want to get back into it again and have a brushless sytem with a 13.5. Bought it for a local class that folded, now it sits on my bench with only 2 runs on it. I did not take the plunge for lipos yet but what I do have is about 3 or 4 27 turn motors and 6 good 4 cell packs so I hope to run stock and 4 cell in my old tc4 in VTA. Add to that my 17 year old son who loves to race and wants to get into it. I just need another tc4, tires and body and I have everything else for both of us to have some fun. That is if I don't have to rush out and buy 2 new brushlessm otors and 2 new lipos. I know in the long run they will be cheaper and i probably will go that if I can run VTA and the class holds up around here. So I guess with me right now running stock and 4 cell is because that is what I have and with cost it is going to take for both of us to run that is how I will have to do it or not race. Did I mention that my son starts college in the fall?

Thanks for all the help and advice. Hope to see you all on the track sometime.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Part Timer
So I guess with me right now running stock and 4 cell is because that is what I have and with cost it is going to take for both of us to run that is how I will have to do it or not race. Did I mention that my son starts college in the fall?
Get the cars setup take them to your local track with the brushed motors and the 4 cells and see how you do at the races. If you guys can race without being marshalled at all and can find the fast line see where you place.

I run with some very good racers and have been running a stock motor and I can keep a clean line but I use crap batteries so I usually make it to between sixth and third place depending on who shows up.

What I can tell you is that it's FUN as HELL even though I haven't purchased a 21.5 and Lipo.

So...don't worry about what others have in their chassis' just go and race and have FUN.

FWIW, I have one in college one in Catholic HS and one in Catholic grade school and Trans Am is the best class for a dad on a budget who has racing skillz. If I was single with no kids I'd be racing 1/8 scale on road traveling all over the country and have money left over to vacation in Europe....
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Xray VTA setup

Hey,

Does anybody have a good starting setup for a Xray T2 running lipo 21.5 motor in a VTA class (just me for now)?

I put my T2 on the track last weekend for the first time and was all over the place with the HPI tires and paragon and it was on ice. I played around with the overall setup for a little while and had little improvement.

Thx
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Part Timer
For a newb to VTA what lipo do you recommend for $30? I don't know anything about Lipos but have been lead to believe I need the over $100 dollar lipos to be competitive. I am in the position where I have ran RC for over 20 years off and on. Now I want to get back into it again and have a brushless sytem with a 13.5. Bought it for a local class that folded, now it sits on my bench with only 2 runs on it. I did not take the plunge for lipos yet but what I do have is about 3 or 4 27 turn motors and 6 good 4 cell packs so I hope to run stock and 4 cell in my old tc4 in VTA. Add to that my 17 year old son who loves to race and wants to get into it. I just need another tc4, tires and body and I have everything else for both of us to have some fun. That is if I don't have to rush out and buy 2 new brushlessm otors and 2 new lipos. I know in the long run they will be cheaper and i probably will go that if I can run VTA and the class holds up around here. So I guess with me right now running stock and 4 cell is because that is what I have and with cost it is going to take for both of us to run that is how I will have to do it or not race. Did I mention that my son starts college in the fall?

Thanks for all the help and advice. Hope to see you all on the track sometime.
I understand that...I normally have my lil girl and my nephew with me...not to mention 2 extras that I help....also most of the advise is for ppl starting from scratch...if you have 27t/4cells...go for it....but you can get the orion 2400 around $30...and some of our locals are selling their 3200 orions for around $30-$40.used...

good luck
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-048.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-thunder-jam-2009-010.jpg  
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

If the tires are brand spanking new out of the package that can be a huge part of the problem.

You'll need to run them a bunch before they hook up or take the car out on some concrete and do some doughnuts and burnouts.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
FWIW, I have one in college one in Catholic HS and one in Catholic grade school and Trans Am is the best class for a dad on a budget who has racing skillz. If I was single with no kids I'd be racing 1/8 scale on road traveling all over the country and have money left over to vacation in Europe....
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Michal101
Hey,

Does anybody have a good starting setup for a Xray T2 running lipo 21.5 motor in a VTA class (just me for now)?

I put my T2 on the track last weekend for the first time and was all over the place with the HPI tires and paragon and it was on ice. I played around with the overall setup for a little while and had little improvement.

Thx
sorry I haven't gotten back to you. been busy answering stuff before I go to bed. got to get up early to practice tomorrow.

I use drew ellis 2006 pavement nats setup for my VTA it runs really well. you can get it off the xray setup forum
Old 01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
If the tires are brand spanking new out of the package that can be a huge part of the problem.

You'll need to run them a bunch before they hook up or take the car out on some concrete and do some doughnuts and burnouts.

Yep, brand spanking new with the exception of running them approximately 15 minutes on our carpet track. So, I will try running it outdoors and then bring it in on the rug and see what happens with Nash's setup suggestion as well.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Michal101
Yep, brand spanking new with the exception of running them approximately 15 minutes on our carpet track. So, I will try running it outdoors and then bring it in on the rug and see what happens with Nash's setup suggestion as well.

Thanks
One of the guys at our track doesn't use compound, just wipes the tires with WD40 and he is one faster guys.

Gonna try it next weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.