Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
Some of our better TA racers just use a JR590. Being that the vehicle is only doing 25MPH, having a 100 dollar digital servo is a bit overkill.

It couldn't hurt, but it's not necessary to be competitive.

Whatever you choose I'd just make sure it's metal geared.

Kenji,

That is not true. because your only using 4.8 volts instead of 7.2 volts the lower end servos are much slower. I run a z590 and it is way to slow in my T/A car with a 4 cell pack. $100 servo maybe over kill but you do need something faster than the z590 you need to look at the specs on the servo's very closely and don't forget to look at the 4.8 volt specs unless you are running 21.5 lipo.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Larry, long time no see.

I understand the difference in speed due to voltage but at the track, like I mentioned, there's lots of people using the 590 and doing just fine in the races. I think the point is get something metal geared, get something fast, but if money is an issue and you are only using the servo for this class of racing there's no need to throw tons of money at it to be competitive. A 590 isn't going to keep you from TQ.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Larry, long time no see.

I understand the difference in speed due to voltage but at the track, like I mentioned, there's lots of people using the 590 and doing just fine in the races. I think the point is get something metal geared, get something fast, but if money is an issue and you are only using the servo for this class of racing there's no need to throw tons of money at it to be competitive. A 590 isn't going to keep you from TQ.

Kenji,

set 2 identical cars up 1 with a z590 and another with a faster digital servo and your lap times with the faster digital servo will be faster. YOu will get much better steering input with the digital servo than you will get with the 590. On a track with lots of turns it can make a huge difference. I use the z590 because thats all I can afford right now, but I know I will not have as good of steering as I would get from a fater digital servo. Would I be TQ if I had the $100 servo, No but my lap times would be faster with my car set up identical to the way it is now.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

ok so to boil it all down for us newbs what is a good target speed and torque to try to get in these VTA cars?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with Larry. Using 4 cells will means a servo will move more sluggishly and your transition times will be off compared to a faster servo.

There are many servos in the $80 range that will do the job, a Futaba 9451 for example.

I'm using an older Hitec 5925 digital high speed servo which is fine. I just need to find that corner speed I'm missing.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Suspended

you guys could always use a smallish electronics-dedicated pack plugged into the receiver, like the nitro boys and girls do
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
ok so to boil it all down for us newbs what is a good target speed and torque to try to get in these VTA cars?
Not sure how to address the questions but when I started I just used my 4WD chassis, bought the tires, rims and body, stripped some older 6 cell packs down to 4 cells, slapped a stock motor in and just raced. As I could I made changes to my setup by asking better drivers. Then after I made those changes I began upgrading some of the equipment. Went to a new CO27 motor, swapped out to all red springs, reamed my bushings and polished them, and the biggest speed gain came when I went to Hurricane batteries. Newer ones. So now I have the same speeds as really good racers, excepting exiting of turns, throughout So far it's been really really fun these past many months and it hasn't cost me an arm and a leg to stay competitive. Pretty much all I do now is once a week skim the comm and maybe replace brushes. My next step is to try and get more speed coming out of turns. For what it's worth I've been racing TA now abou once a week since last February or March.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If your a newb then youl have a hard time telling the diffrence.. id say get a futaba 3305 servo, they go for $35, have metal gears, and work just fine.

f1larry - the slow servos only hurt you in chicanes, but only if you cant straight-line them
Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Not sure how to address the questions but when I started I just used my 4WD chassis, bought the tires, rims and body, stripped some older 6 cell packs down to 4 cells, slapped a stock motor in and just raced. As I could I made changes to my setup by asking better drivers. Then after I made those changes I began upgrading some of the equipment. Went to a new CO27 motor, swapped out to all red springs, reamed my bushings and polished them, and the biggest speed gain came when I went to Hurricane batteries. Newer ones. So now I have the same speeds as really good racers, excepting exiting of turns, throughout So far it's been really really fun these past many months and it hasn't cost me an arm and a leg to stay competitive. Pretty much all I do now is once a week skim the comm and maybe replace brushes. My next step is to try and get more speed coming out of turns. For what it's worth I've been racing TA now abou once a week since last February or March.
meant speed and torque of the servo...sorry i wasnt clear

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
If your a newb then youl have a hard time telling the diffrence.. id say get a futaba 3305 servo, they go for $35, have metal gears, and work just fine.

f1larry - the slow servos only hurt you in chicanes, but only if you cant straight-line them
im not a newb to rc...just on road. Ive been racing 8th scale truggy for awhile. I know my target servo specs for that but for on road I wasnt sure if there was too fast...and what was a good torque.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So far it's been really really fun these past many months and it hasn't cost me an arm and a leg to stay competitive.
I believe that's the whole point of VTA! Well Said!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you go the LiPo / 21.5 route, you won't have the speed problem with the servo.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
If you go the LiPo / 21.5 route, you won't have the speed problem with the servo.
That's what I will probably end up doing next year...blew too much money on the Touring Car
Old 06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BadSign
+1

I think lipo will be popular
Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I haven't really read very far back...but I didn't see anything about this (please point me to a specific thread if I missed it)...

Has anyone been playing with the 21.5 or 17.5 timing? Any suggestions/likes/dislikes with the 4-cell power? (I am running 17.5 right now)
Old 06-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

meant speed and torque of the servo...sorry i wasnt clear

im not a newb to rc...just on road. Ive been racing 8th scale truggy for awhile. I know my target servo specs for that but for on road I wasnt sure if there was too fast...and what was a good torque.

I would go with the futaba 9550 or the KO Propo PDS-2413ICS fast and strong .10 speed,8.5kg torque and its low profile....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.