Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The only car that I heard was having trouble with the Silver can motors was the new Tamiya 416.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
Mike what chassis? I don't know of any special mods the guys are doing on their cars. I think it was tight on the FK05's maybe but I know they were still using them....
The Silver Can won't go in the TC3/TC4 motor cam without some milling/drilling. I had Silver Can motor all set to test last June and found it won't go in the car w/o mods. Too bad as I REALLY think that would have been a good combo. Then again we developed the class here (as it turns out, in parallel with Marty and Scotty at Trackside) intending to draw people by creating a home for obsolete TC chassis so we really weren't looking at the newer chassis.

BTW...Racer Rick and I spent a few minutes this evening looking over the Pegasus Mustang body. Something I'd not paid attention to is it has the "vents" at the front of the rear fenders which we thought ARE '70. We then looked at pics of the Bud Moore team Mustangs from '70 and no vents in those. Our thought was maybe the vents were in the Mach 1's and not the Bosses? If so, were they in both the '69 and '70 Mach 1's or only the '70.

Either way, Racer Rick has taken the Mustang home with him and will do it great justice!!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Da Cuda

Here's the next in my stable... just had to have a 'Cuda! We had eight cars in our TA class on Wed night! Woo Hoo... I'd bet we break into double digits on Sunday! With still more on the way. Just need some numbers and I think AndyH is helping me out with that.

Green 'Cuda's seem to be popular.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-p1010175.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-p1010176.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-p1010177.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-p1010178.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-p1010179.jpg  

Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Mike what chassis? I don't know of any special mods the guys are doing on their cars. I think it was tight on the FK05's maybe but I know they were still using them....
Hi Dan
I remember the TC3..I had to enlarged the motor cam pinion hole.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tried the silvercans on my TC3's and my Xray 007. Since there isn't a great following for Tamiya tourers in my area, I didn't get to try those. But I would assume Tamiya would make sure thier cars accepted thier own silvercans.

I know it wouldn't have been a big deal to most of us to mill out a cam or a bulkhead to get the cans to work but I was thinking about that new guy wanting to race and having to modify his new car just to be able to run. I didn't think it would help the class even though I would have loved to run the cans instead.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default silver can in xray t2

To get the silver can to fit smoohly into the xray t2 (it will fit stock, but the motor will not move smoothly for pinion adjustment,) you have to mill about 1/2mm from the upper motor mount that contacts the bushing holder on the silver can. (The area is about 1/4 inch by 1/2mm.) I can post pics if anyone is interested.

If you allow both 6 cell silver can and 4 cell stock, a racer has a choice if the silver can doesn't fit and they don't want to modify anything.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks Bill, I do understand what to do to get the cans to work, but I wanted to keep our program geared more towards the new or retired racers. Just keep the rules as simple as possible. I would have loved to run the cans because we could have random handout motors each race day. Keeps the racing tight without needing to know all the silver can voodoo.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Website has been updated with newly added tracks and clubs (be sure to PM me if your track is beginning to run this class), as well as new graphic banners for your track's website to link to the USVTA site.

The tracks section has also been updated to reflect which tracks are using the Official Rules of the USVTA and which tracks have altered rules.

doug
Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
Here's the next in my stable... just had to have a 'Cuda! We had eight cars in our TA class on Wed night! Woo Hoo... I'd bet we break into double digits on Sunday! With still more on the way. Just need some numbers and I think AndyH is helping me out with that.

That's awesome looking!

You just need some black wheel nuts or something :P I'm pretty sure our local track will have 15+ guys running this Sunday!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Initiate

What did you to prep/paint your wheels.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scottrik
The Silver Can won't go in the TC3/TC4 motor cam without some milling/drilling. I had Silver Can motor all set to test last June and found it won't go in the car w/o mods. Too bad as I REALLY think that would have been a good combo. Then again we developed the class here (as it turns out, in parallel with Marty and Scotty at Trackside) intending to draw people by creating a home for obsolete TC chassis so we really weren't looking at the newer chassis.

BTW...Racer Rick and I spent a few minutes this evening looking over the Pegasus Mustang body. Something I'd not paid attention to is it has the "vents" at the front of the rear fenders which we thought ARE '70. We then looked at pics of the Bud Moore team Mustangs from '70 and no vents in those. Our thought was maybe the vents were in the Mach 1's and not the Bosses? If so, were they in both the '69 and '70 Mach 1's or only the '70.

Either way, Racer Rick has taken the Mustang home with him and will do it great justice!!
The '69 Boss 302's didn't have the quarter vents, or "horse handles", like all the rest of the '69 fastback models. No vents on any of the '70 models.

Please post pics of the body already!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Body tuck! :P

Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nexus
That's awesome looking!

You just need some black wheel nuts or something :P I'm pretty sure our local track will have 15+ guys running this Sunday!
I agree that gets taken care of on Sunday. I was still running my Blue/White Mustang that night and just switched the body over to run the Cuda. Forgot about the wheel nuts till I started taking pictures.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ChuckWick357
What did you to prep/paint your wheels.
It's really a detailed operation. A Sharpie.. no prep! It covered great and seems to be holding up well. Not like its hard to redo! I heard someone else around somewhere did it that way so I thought I'd give it a go.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

It's really a detailed operation. A Sharpie.. no prep! It covered great and seems to be holding up well. Not like its hard to redo! I heard someone else around somewhere did it that way so I thought I'd give it a go.
That would be me and yes it holds up very well. I would say it is holding up way better than the body

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.