R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #1471
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's a lot more fun when everyone is running the same speed so it all comes down to setup and driving.

NP about the teching
Old 07-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #1472
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Anybody else having issues with the front splitter on the cuda and camaro bodies. Mine has gotten so flimsy that it drops and drags. Is it withing the rules to cut it off or is that part of the "cut along the body line" rule

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Old 07-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #1473
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
Anybody else having issues with the front splitter on the cuda and camaro bodies. Mine has gotten so flimsy that it drops and drags. Is it withing the rules to cut it off or is that part of the "cut along the body line" rule
That is a problem I've run into also. A lot of guys are leaving a little extra body for support in the front. Guess I never thought of it as against the rules but it doesn't directly follow the "cut along body lines". I can't really explain it but here are some posts that have pictures. Look at the front end of some of the cars and you'll see the "extra" lexan left for support. #852, #840 (last picture), #724

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #1474
Tech Addict

I put a coat of sho-goo on the inside of the body on that 'air dam' or what ever you call that front spoiler...I also coat the inside of the fender wheels and anywhere you typically get cracks from crashes. Saves the paint also. Mine is still in good shape...hasn't crack or hangn off yet! tip: moistn your finger and it won't stick to you finger that much and speads easier...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #1475
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
tip: moistn your finger and it won't stick to you finger that much and speads easier...
Another good method is cutting the fuzzy off 1 end of a Q-tip and using the cut end to spread the shoe goo. Works every time for me.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 07-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #1476
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default shoo goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsterblade View Post
I put a coat of sho-goo on the inside of the body on that 'air dam' or what ever you call that front spoiler...I also coat the inside of the fender wheels and anywhere you typically get cracks from crashes. Saves the paint also. Mine is still in good shape...hasn't crack or hangn off yet! tip: moistn your finger and it won't stick to you finger that much and speads easier...
Suggestion .... put a peice of window screen on also. Sho-goo, silver window screen, shoo-goo. Black screen will show thro a light painted car.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #1477
Tech Rookie

hi just wanted to know if any one is using a tt-01 in this class? i had a tt-01 and did my first vintage race last weekend. what a blast. but i had to run a six cell instead of a four cell. the gearing is way off. does any one know what kind of gearing i need to run ? thanks jay
Old 07-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #1478
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis2000 View Post
hi just wanted to know if any one is using a tt-01 in this class? i had a tt-01 and did my first vintage race last weekend. what a blast. but i had to run a six cell instead of a four cell. the gearing is way off. does any one know what kind of gearing i need to run ? thanks jay
what motor are you running? Suggested gearing is under the "rules" section of the trans am web site

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #1479
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Cool

Here U go Mr. Lewis !

Motor Specifications:
Option 1: 27-turn ROAR stock motor: No FDR limit, bearings are not allowed.

Option 2: 17.5 brushless: Motor timing advance is allowed. 12.5 mm rotor diameter maximum (no "tuning" rotors are allowed).

Option 3: 21.5 brushless with 2C LiPo: Novak SS21.5 Pro brushless motor (pn:3421) ONLY combined with any ROAR-approved hard-cased 2C 7.4v LiPo pack up to and including 5000 mAh capacity.
All house track rules regarding LiPo usage apply. Final drive ratio is to not exceed 4.2. Motor timing advance is allowed.

Suggested gearing FDR recommendations:

27t brushed/4-cell: 5.4 - 5.7 FDR
17.5 brushless/4-cell: 3.5 - 3.7 FDR
21.5 brushless/LiPo: 4.2 - 4.3 FDR

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
Team Scream Racing Middle River Hobbies GQ AMERICA Diggity Designs Castle Creations ✦TheRCShack✦ www.castlecreations.comwww.teamscreamracing.com www.diggitydesigns.comhttp://www.gqproduct.comMini www.middleriverhobbies.comTom Brown The Rev 7 XRAY ✦ M05 Surfs Up DudeMiddle River Hobbies
Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #1480
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
It's within the rules as long as it doesn't completely change the look of the front end. In the case of the HPI bodies, most of the front spoiler areas are in need of a little help. Newer bodies I have seen are a LOT thicker up front, so at least it appears as though HPI is aware of the issues.

Here's a good example of how to help the 'Cuda...

Another tip if you don't want to use the ShoeGoo trick is to cut the corner inside the spoiler with a little curve inside, instead of a square edge. The square cut will rip EVERY time, while a rounded corner has much less stress on it...

Both versions are mine, and both survived a lot of front impact. Leaving a little meat on the corner certainly helps, no matter how much is left there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis2000 View Post
You probably won't have much gearing help with your setup, as no one uses a 6-cell in this class. It's a 4-cell class only, otherwise you are using 21.5 brushless motors. I'd think as long as you can gear the car so your speeds are close to the other cars, you should be fine to get yourself up to speed in the class, before you decide what power choice you want to run in it.

-doug
Old 07-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #1481
Tech Rookie

thanks. can't wait to race again
Old 07-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #1482
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here's a question...

Down in here in Florida they are allowing 17.5/lipo instead of 21.5/lipo...

Does anyone have any experience in running that combo? Frankly, i was looking forward to the 21.5/lipo because i have a 13.5 now and it is CRAZY fast. As a new racer, i'm not coordinated enough to handle that. Will the 17.5 be a significant step down in speed? As far as i know, there's no FDR limit. Fortunately i didn't buy a 21.5 yet or else i'd be CHAPPED.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #1483
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to keepitmovin504

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Here's a question...

Does anyone have any experience in running that combo? Frankly, i was looking forward to the 21.5/lipo because i have a 13.5 now and it is CRAZY fast. As a new racer, i'm not coordinated enough to handle that. Will the 17.5 be a significant step down in speed? As far as i know, there's no FDR limit. Fortunately i didn't buy a 21.5 yet or else i'd be CHAPPED.
That combo is like running a stock motor on 6 cells
Do 4cells/ 27turn run with 17.5/lipo?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #1484
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Here's a question...

Check with the race management to see if their current rules are their long-term plans. I know at least one Florida group planning to run the official USVTA rules this upcoming season, so it would be worth it to find out where they stand.

There will be big benefits in this upcoming winter season for running the official rules, so it's going to be more rare to see tracks not following along with the rest of the country.

doug
Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #1485
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Our track in Ft Wayne is going official VTA rules, I think it'd be foolish not to be. It also helps with the _itching that always happens over the rules, this way your explanation simply is "we are inline nationally with the official organization".

www.summitrcraceway.com
Closed Thread