Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
We have a regular racer who when he shows up generally wins most of the time. He's the first to give everyone else advice if they ask on how to best setup their cars. It's amazing to see him get into trouble earlier in a race and by the end of the race work his way back to the top. As far as I know none of us regulars would want to "slow" him down in any way. His car isn't faster overall than most of us. He does know how to tune really well so he can keep the utmost speed in and out of almost all the turns. We all judge how well we do by how close we can keep up with him. The difference between him and the other best racers for any given race is usually 9-12 seconds, seconds not laps.

He's got skill and we all respect that. I think we've all become better racers because of him.

And that's how EVERYONE should see this class. This is how racing was 20 years ago, and it's lost a LOT of that mentality over the years. Work for it to be faster, and the fast guys actually HELP the slower guys get better.

Bravo, Kenji.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Hey, I hope everyone here doesn't mind but I thought I would post about an upcoming race happening here in Chicagoland, July 25th and 26th. I'm posting it here because from my guesstimate at this point, 20 TA cars are showing up so far for the Trans Am portion of the race.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=226644

There's talk of creating main races for the TA class of 20 cars each. If we get more than 40 TA cars that would be really fun.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm looking to switch to 21.5/lipo on the TA. Do I really need or is there going to be a big performance difference between a expensive esc like an LRP sphere touring spec or the LRP AI brushless sensored esc? It's almost $100.00 difference. With the extra savings I can get a really good lipo battery.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The 21.5 will not put the load on the ESC as would a 3.5 or even a 10.5 so if you keep that in mind it should work. The only area of concern I would have is how it would react to the very low FDR you need to use and how much will it heat the motor causing thermal shutdown.

Heinrich
Old 07-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was in that race with the blue mustang and the black and purple cuda. Alot of us were equal as far as speed but just tuning and drivability is what made him better. I won the last two VTA races but could not get anything right during this race. But everyone in that race had alot of fun and cant wait for the next one.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks Heinrich for your reply.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AreCee

Heinrich
?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

That kind of mindset is f$%ing up the country. Jsut because the crowd cant keep up, they have to hold him back? Given that everybody runs on same equipment, why cant people just applaud the person that excels? Why do people always hate? Why cant people be inspired to be better drivers?

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Life isn't "fair." This has been done in many forms of racing for a long time, because it works. In a class like this, there should never be one car dominating over everyone for any reason. That will kill the class faster than anything else.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

So now youre changing your tune? I thought fast guys should be kept slower, to keep the race 'interesting'.

And that's how EVERYONE should see this class. This is how racing was 20 years ago, and it's lost a LOT of that mentality over the years. Work for it to be faster, and the fast guys actually HELP the slower guys get better.

Bravo, Kenji.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slomo
That kind of mindset is f$%ing up the country. Jsut because the crowd cant keep up, they have to hold him back? Given that everybody runs on same equipment, why cant people just applaud the person that excels? Why do people always hate? Why cant people be inspired to be better drivers?
Give me a break. Most real international touring cars series as well as the Speed World Challenge has been adding weight to the cars that win for years, and it's some of the best road racing on the planet.

Originally Posted by slomo
So now youre changing your tune? I thought fast guys should be kept slower, to keep the race 'interesting'.
It's obvious that you don't get it and have never participated in this class.

When there are obvious speed differences in the cars, something needs to be done to keep the playing field level. Those fast guys are usually fast for a reason, and they will generally continue to be up at the front. What is happening at Kenji's local track is an absolute anomaly in R/C racing right now. Most places are not seeing that type of racer participation. In fact, most places see the opposite when one fast guy dominates, the rest give up and quite or move to a different class.

In an effort to keep this class growing and available to the masses—not just to the fast guys—the playing field will always need to be leveled.

In just about every case that I have seen so far with this class, when those "fast guys" who win every week are asked to add weight or gear down, they happily do so, and the racing across the boards improves for everyone.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

you only get better by racing people better then you. bottom line
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

...Weight penalties are the easiest way to bring someone like that back into everyone else's pace, and still keep the racing quality high.
I would suggest just focusing on the gearing. We have been adding weight and it really hasn't made that big of an impression on the "fast guys". The top guys ended the season with an extra 400-600 grams and it still wasn't effecting the final outcome of each race.

I FULLY agree with Apexspeed though, the playing field should be leveled to keep everyone interested and keep it FUN, something that had been missing from club racing for quite some time.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
you only get better by racing people better then you. bottom line
Absolutely true.

But we're living in a time when people give up VERY easily if something is instantly too difficult to accomplish and the goals seem to be too far out of reach, and you lose them completely. Look at EVERY other class in R/C today. It's part and parcel of any form of racing right now.

The fast guys will still be fast. If the remainder of the field still feels as if they are mildly competitive and improving, it's better for the masses.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Its just my personal opinion but I dont agree with penalizing someone for doing good. To me that would cause them to leave the class to a class they can be good at. Ive seen guys in all sorts of racing rc and 1:1 be able to go out with a hunk of junk and put it on someone. Its just part of practice and experience. Usually their the first to help out. If that blue mustang in that vid is who I think it was...he was all about helping me with my set up when I met him. What people need to realize is You dont wake up good at something...you have to make yourself good at it. Again this is just my personal opinion and again..you dont get better by racing slower people.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can see Dougs point. But at our local scene I doubt anyone would want to penalize the Mustang. Even though the blue mustang had an apparrent edge in the video. At most of our local VTA races a differrent person wins each week. So we arent about to kill the class by letting someone dominate.

I see your point, but I think we are OK here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.