Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #1411
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
PRS and Robinson both make tiny spurs, which is what you need. There were a few TC3s and TC4s at the Nationals running 17.5, so it can be done.
Hey Doug...you got PM
Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #1412
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Before we overwhelm some racers with all of this servo talk, we should remind ourselves that some racers are on a budget. While there are many reasons to upgrade components on R/C cars, the best advice that I've ever been given to turn better laps is to make sure my car is working properly (checking for worn parts/proper tweak/correct setup for track/etc..) and to practice more.

It is true that a poorly setup car with poor electronics won't perform well. But it is also true that a basic car with budget electronics that is setup well will turn better laps when driven by an experienced racer vs. a novice racer.

I raced yesterday against good competition and turned the fastest lap of the main using an HPI RS4 Sport 2 with a Futaba S3003 servo. Unfortunately my lack of consistant driving (overdriving corners/short turning corners) cost me any chance of finishing 1st. Would a better servo help my racing - sure. But until the brain moving the fingers attached to the radio controlling the servo do a better job of driving, I'll spend that money on entry fees/practice.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #1413
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

I would say it's like golf, guys. Will a $300 driver make you a better golfer? Probably not, but an average golfer with a second-hand 30-year old persimmon small-headed driver is at a severe disadvantage to someone with better technology behind them and even a $150 metal wood in their hands.

In this case, an inexperienced driver is a lot better off with a stronger servo, because you are hitting more and putting a steering servo into a lot more distress. While you might not need a $100 digital servo, you do need something that will handle the weight and torque needed for a heavy touring car, and you want it to withstand the abuse you will give it every time you clip a board.

Speed and strength cannot really be bought in a $18 servo. And in my opinion, if you have a $65 used touring car for T/A, the spare change you saved on the car should be invested in a GOOD steering servo. It will make more sense in that part of the car than anywhere else, with the rest of the true variables in the car being relatively spec controlled.

doug
Old 06-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #1414
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Before we overwhelm some racers with all of this servo talk, we should remind ourselves that some racers are on a budget. While there are many reasons to upgrade components on R/C cars, the best advice that I've ever been given to turn better laps is to make sure my car is working properly (checking for worn parts/proper tweak/correct setup for track/etc..) and to practice more.

It is true that a poorly setup car with poor electronics won't perform well. But it is also true that a basic car with budget electronics that is setup well will turn better laps when driven by an experienced racer vs. a novice racer.

I raced yesterday against good competition and turned the fastest lap of the main using an HPI RS4 Sport 2 with a Futaba S3003 servo. Unfortunately my lack of consistant driving (overdriving corners/short turning corners) cost me any chance of finishing 1st. Would a better servo help my racing - sure. But until the brain moving the fingers attached to the radio controlling the servo do a better job of driving, I'll spend that money on entry fees/practice.

I totally agree. I think people get waaayyy too wrapped up in bench racing a pile of parts. Optimize your combination through patience and practice. There's plenty of money to spend in this hobby, pace yourself.

I raced with you yesterday. I had the scabby white Camaro that got lucky and won. You guys are real close on speed and were a joy to race with. By fall, VTA in our area is going to be a bare knuckle brawl. Hopefully we can race again soon, good competition will make us all faster.

Ben

www.summitrcraceway.com
Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #1415
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

June 29th VTA Race in Calhoun GA.

Video
Old 06-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #1416
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
hate to add salt to your wound, but that makes sense...you were using a 12th scale servo -
No problem. I saw some warnings about it "after" I bought the S9650, but then that was all I had for race day, so I gave it a try. Hopefully anyone else searching the net for "9650 touring car" will now have more data points before they buy. I can buy a replacement gear set for it and keep it, or sell it off.

Of course now I want to not scrimp on this area now. Maybe I will go with a KO 2314 -- I have one in my xxx-4.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #1417
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The good news is that you can use many more servos than us 4 cell people can because you're using a Lipo pack at 7.4 volts. I'm using a very old but still working Hitec 5925 digital, it's OK and fast enough at 4.8 volts.

I would check out the Futaba 9452 digital at $79.99. I like the digitals because they have more holding power and center faster than their analog counterparts for about the same money.

Dave from Strictly (the teal/aqua Mustang)
Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #1418
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
June 29th VTA Race in Calhoun GA.

Video
Tech that blue Mustang!

He looked waaay faster than the rest of the pack.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #1419
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Speaking of way faster, how should a track handle someone who is obviously faster than the rest of the field on any given day? Most often this is due to better driving or setup. Should the track ask a fast driver to slow/gear down to be closer to the rest of the field for club racing?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #1420
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Speaking of way faster, how should a track handle someone who is obviously faster than the rest of the field on any given day? Most often this is due to better driving or setup. Should the track ask a fast driver to slow/gear down to be closer to the rest of the field for club racing?
In my opinion, this class is about competitiveness and equality, and if you have one driver who is outclassing everyone else on a regular basis, the track should add weight/reduce gear to level it out. Anyone going that fast in this class should understand the point of bringing him back to the pack. In this class, winning shouldn't be about having the fastest car.

Weight penalties are the easiest way to bring someone like that back into everyone else's pace, and still keep the racing quality high.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #1421
Tech Adept

that doesnt exactly sound fair. With everything being equal, the fast guy gets penalized for driving well? I thought racing is about winning?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #1422
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
Tech that blue Mustang!

He looked waaay faster than the rest of the pack.
His car is just much better setup than some of ours...plus his driving is alot better. I finally got my gearing right on that last race (black and purple cuda) and on the drag race i had with the mustang down the straight our cars were about even I am running a 17.5 brushless and the mustang was using a 27t brushed motor. My car is set at a 3.37 FDR too...racing him the difference came in the in field as his car was very glued down and i had a oversteer problem

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Old 07-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #1423
Tech Elite

Life isn't "fair." This has been done in many forms of racing for a long time, because it works. In a class like this, there should never be one car dominating over everyone for any reason. That will kill the class faster than anything else.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #1424
Tech Master

Weight penalties are the easiest way to bring someone like that back into everyone else's pace, and still keep the racing quality high.[/QUOTE]

Interesting ,it might be considered an honor to have an weight penalty.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #1425
Tech Elite

We have a regular racer who when he shows up generally wins most of the time. He's the first to give everyone else advice if they ask on how to best setup their cars. It's amazing to see him get into trouble earlier in a race and by the end of the race work his way back to the top. As far as I know none of us regulars would want to "slow" him down in any way. His car isn't faster overall than most of us. He does know how to tune really well so he can keep the utmost speed in and out of almost all the turns. We all judge how well we do by how close we can keep up with him. The difference between him and the other best racers for any given race is usually 9-12 seconds, seconds not laps.

He's got skill and we all respect that. I think we've all become better racers because of him.
Closed Thread