Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #13861
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
the other problem with an "alternative" tire is NO ONE MAKES THEM - HPI is the only one that makes the tire, no one else makes them...so its HPI or nothing...

unless someone has a line/connection with another tire manufacturer that can make a similar tire, with similar performance, then we are HPI's mercy..

its been a long discussed thing that Myron brought up - a change in management made a bad decision/error on which tires to produce and now we, the consumers, are suffering

in case no one ever noticed - right around the time before/after ANY big event there are shortages of parts...anyone remember brushed motors?? remember how certain brushes weren't available leading up to the snowbirds because everyone going had to buy them? or 12th scaler's, how about foam tire shortages leading up to the IIC or snowbirds??

it happens all the time - this is nothing new...just be patient and all will be good
I think the issue is that there are no other options, not just other less competitive options. This is spec racing where the spec parts are not available, and there is no non-spec option to use as an alternative. Right now a lot of on-road things are backordered and out of stock. The bumper I want for me car is in that category, no one has one. But there are other options, less desirable, but options none the less. VTA has no other options.

I understand the frustrations, and my stash of tires has all been given away, but this problem has been going on since last November. It was rears then, fronts now. I have been affected less then most, as I have always stockpiled tires, but even I am on my last set now.

I have been hearing first week of March to get new tires in, so I would hope people would be patient till then, but there is still an underlying problem, and at some point I assume USVTA will need to address it.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #13862
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
there goes the theory of budget racing.
VTA is not budget racing! It's Spec racing.
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Electric / WTF
AE B44.3 / ORCA VXX / D4 7.5
Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #13863
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSEDanny View Post
exactly - spec racing has never meant to be cheap, just that everyone is using the same stuff for equality
Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #13864
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
just that everyone is using the same stuff for equality

or at least the illusion of it.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #13865
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No other manufacturer is going to invest the dough to make a comparable tire when it is not allowed into the class although any of your dirt tire guys could do that. AKA, Panther, J Concepts, Proline, they are all capable of making a tire to fit the rim, but to have the exact same compound and the same tread would require a license from HPI and possibly Hoosier or whomever the VTA tire is modeled after. Allowing another tire or opening it up is just a big can of worms that you will never get the lid back on. Its only bad news with no options.

I wouldnt touch it just because that tire is one of the things that makes USVTA what it is and gives it conisitency. If you open up the tire rule then what do you say to those that complain about the rules constantly changing?

I only mentioned the X-Patterns because they are available in D-compound and a lot of guys have USGT cars that they can borrow them from. I don't see a "Good" answer and I certainly dont see an answer that doesn't cost anything other than waiting on HPI to catch up.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #13866
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

how viable are HPi's 102993 and 102994 tires as alternatives? Same compound, same vintage wheel fit, similar tread area...I would think they would be very similar performers as a backup tire.
VTA, 1/10 nitro, touring, USGT, F1, and more!
www.speedworldraceway.com
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #13867
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashdriver View Post
how viable are HPi's 102993 and 102994 tires as alternatives? Same compound, same vintage wheel fit, similar tread area...I would think they would be very similar performers as a backup tire.
If HPI is the only manufacturer for this size tire then I'm good with using another tire from their line up. As long as there is good rubber on the rim then lets race. Definitely not against hpi either. Just want everyone to be able to race.

I understand that a spec tire makes things easy and equal. I'm not arguing that point at all. Again I agree with you. Problem is that a lot of us are about to be racing on the spec rim. Not a lot of traction with the plastic rims and getting the minimum ride height is going to be a pain.

As far as big events draining supply sure but I didn't realize there was a 4 to 5 month long vta race taking place.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #13868
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSEDanny View Post
Sorry Danny. Didn't mean to get you going again. You are right that it isn't cheap to go fast in any class. Especially without tires.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #13869
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Just want everyone to be able to race.
+ Me.

Quote:
You are right that it isn't cheap to go fast in any class. Especially without tires.
Magic pixie dust makes the car run great without tires.

I can see you guys at home using CA or shoe goo trying to retread your old tires?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #13870
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Have you chosen your favorite VTA body yet?
Click here and pick your favorite VTA body.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #13871
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
I didn't realize there was a 4 to 5 month long vta race taking place.
A 4 month VTA Enduro...hmmmmmmm
VTA, 1/10 nitro, touring, USGT, F1, and more!
www.speedworldraceway.com
Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #13872
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashdriver View Post
I have tried these HPI Vintage Performance Tires and they actually do work better out of the box when compared to a brand new set of HPI 4793 and 4797. But once all the tires are good and worn in, and the 4793 and 4797 tires have a larger contact patch from softening with Paragon, all these tires become equal in performance.

By the way, have all of you answered this question about what chassis you are using for VTA Racing?
Click here to choose the chassis that you are using.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #13873
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am glad to see the votes on chassis and bodies. Cool! I would like if more car bodies were allowed like a 1970's camaro or trans am body. I know the closiest to the 70's camaro is from Pegasus Hobbies 70 SS 1/10 On Road Lexan Body. Well I think this is the best class thus far. I like the rules now very much. I will be at my first VTA race this weekend. This class is all about fairness. The bodies I have seen on the track are cool.

Drive it fast, climb it slow and what ever you do, do it pzazz!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #13874
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This situation with the tires really doesn't have to be so bad. There are 2 other tire types available for on road VTA. The "performance" treaded and the D compound slicks. AT THE CLUB LEVEL I see no reason these tires couldn't be made available as "option" tires should there be issues. Granted, this doesn't solve the issue for National sanctioned events but isn't the larger percentage of our racing "club" level ??
Our club just adopted the Vintage Slick as an option tire at all times.The way i look at it is that we should allow our drivers to use a set of treaded tires until they're coming apart. We see no performance advantage using a slick tire so there's no real worry about using the D compound slicks. VTA folks are at least aware of the 'official" rules and nobody is tryiing to change that.
As for complaining to HPI....maybe we should spend more time complimenting them first !!! Like others have said...without them we don't exist. I, for one, can live with a little inconvenience 1 time in my 5 year involvement with VTA.
KUDOS HPI !!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #13875
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
This situation with the tires really doesn't have to be so bad. There are 2 other tire types available for on road VTA. The "performance" treaded and the D compound slicks. AT THE CLUB LEVELI see no reason these tires couldn't be made available as "option" tires should there be issues. Granted, this doesn't solve the issue for National sanctioned events but isn't the larger percentage of our racing "club" level ??
Our club just adopted the Vintage Slick as an option tire at all times.The way i look at it is that we should allow our drivers to use a set of treaded tires until they're coming apart. We see no performance advantage using a slick tire so there's no real worry about using the D compound slicks. VTA folks are at least aware of the 'official" rules and nobody is tryiing to change that.
As for complaining to HPI....maybe we shpuld spend more time complimenting them first !!! Like others have said...without them we don't exist. I, for one, can live with a little inconvenience 1 time in my 5 year involvement with VTA.
KUDOS HPI !!
So no flame torches and pitch forks?
Brooksphotodesign.net
Closed Thread