R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #13831
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've heard it's going to be mid-March before the boat arrives............I hope more than one container is comming. These tires will be sucked-up in less than two-weeks I bet. I watched a set on E-bay bring 49.00 last week!!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #13832
Regional Moderator

That's one of the problems when you specify something that is single-sourced. When the parts are in stock, great. Out of stock, not so great.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #13833
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyrehntrd View Post
Tires are an issue right now. HPI has stated that they are on back order. Both my local shops had ordered at least 15 sets both of front and rear but can not give a ETA on them. this is a shame because my fronts are starting to go bald.
My Fronts are Bald!.................
Mike ;>)
Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #13834
Tech Master

Problem is that HPI doesn't need to feel a sense of urgency here. They can either sell the tires now or later. Doesn't matter to them they get paid either way. WE are the ones being left out in the cold over this. Now, if there was an alternative tire and the rules were written that you could use HPI tires OR xyz company tires then HPI would stay on the ball to keep a supply available. Problem is that I'm not sure if there is an alternative company making a suitable tire.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #13835
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have some time before we will be operating the track in LaFayette, but I suppose you guys in Marietta are running every week and you may be up against the wall for tires here. I think I would start practicing on TC tires and save your legal set for actual races. You probably could practice on D compound X-patterns. Not sure how they will differ in performance.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #13836
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I have some time before we will be operating the track in LaFayette, but I suppose you guys in Marietta are running every week and you may be up against the wall for tires here. I think I would start practicing on TC tires and save your legal set for actual races. You probably could practice on D compound X-patterns. Not sure how they will differ in performance.
The performance difference is the problem though. Tires are 90% of setup. If you must use a certain tire then you must tune to that tire. If you tune to a different set of tires then the mathematical logic would say that your setup will be 90% off when you change to another tire. Heck my setup will change as the same tires wear down.

Figures used for example only. No hard calculations done here.

We seem to have been fighting the tire issue for a few months now and its not going to change for a few more. As the first shipments arrive they will be quickly snatched up and the supply will be dry again. This will probably continue into spring/early summer. It will get worse when the outdoor tracks open with the warmer weather and racers are ready to knock off the winter rust and hit the track again. Funny thing is that this is a sign of how strong and popular this class is.

Not trying to change the class here. I'm actually trying to keep things going. My vta car is about to be put on the shelf because I don't have tires to use. If this becomes a trend then some of the cars that get shelved won't ever be raced again. I know some tracks are allowing the performance tires to be used right now but an official legal alternative would be nice if hpi can't or won't keep up.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #13837
Tech Champion

1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #13838
Tech Champion

have a little patience
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #13839
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
have a little patience
Sorry. At this point I'm all out. It expired waiting on rears last month.

Seriously though. My brother just picked up a chassis to start racing in this awesome class. If I didn't have a 75% used set of wheels and tires to give to him he would be sol until when???? How many vta racers have been lost and how many hobby shop sales have been lost because if this? Congratulations on your new vta car motor speed control charger lipo battery and those pretty new wheels. Now go home and build it and look at it all pretty and shiny. We will have tires so you can actually drive it in a month or two.

This may be a stretch but it is a very possible scenario. If HPI had competition on the tires then maybe they would get in gear and supply some. Loosing sales is the only thing that motivates manufacturing. Right now they aren't losing sales, just delaying them.

Look what happened with the bodies. Supply ran low. HPI VTA bodies were getting hard to find. But hpi has competition in the body market. For every lost hpi body sale the money went to Parma Pegasus or McAllister. HPI got in gear and filled the pipeline to protect their sales. Not so with the tires.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #13840
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

thinking along that line, What other tire manufacturer has a tire even close to the HPI Tires,

I have not seen any that come close to the realistic tread pattern and offer the same traction

That being said it would be interesting if a manufacturer came out with one to test (hint hint)

But by the time that was done HPI would have stock in and this would all be moot

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #13841
Tech Champion

passing info...this is what I rec...

"Hey Myron,
We did receive a small shipment of tires since the last time I talked to you, but it was not our complete shipment. I am showing a large shipment of tires arriving beginning to middle of this week though!"
Old 02-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #13842
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

To answer the past several questions about what/when else has another tire been this difficult I can answer easily with with Jaco Blues.

I can tell you straight up I will not be racing VTA at One Lug this weekend because I don't have legal tires. I also believe there is another person or two in the same boat. The tires I have have worn past the legal limit and without more VTA is a no go. I am strongly thinking of going to get my a$$ handed to me in TC Blinky however so maybe this class will pickup due to the shortage.
Kyosho MP9 TKI3 / Electric / WTF
AE B44.3 / ORCA VXX / D4 7.5
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #13843
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was a little nervous reading about the tire situation as I am just getting started. I have pretty much everything now as I got lucky and found some tires rummaging through the racks at LHS. It would have been pretty dissapointing if I didn't find these and couldn't get started. Looking forward to getting on the track soon. Thanks for all the info, especially Faxx21.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #13844
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Sad to see when a person cant race a big race cause manufacturer fails to keep up with demand....even worse when its more then 1 person.

On a side note we may have 2 complete VTA cars for sale soon. Just too far to drive to get any good on road racing. Closest place is 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive each way and with the way gas is getting, just cant stomach doing it.
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #13845
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSEDanny View Post
To answer the past several questions about what/when else has another tire been this difficult I can answer easily with with Jaco Blues.

I can tell you straight up I will not be racing VTA at One Lug this weekend because I don't have legal tires. I also believe there is another person or two in the same boat. The tires I have have worn past the legal limit and without more VTA is a no go. I am strongly thinking of going to get my a$$ handed to me in TC Blinky however so maybe this class will pickup due to the shortage.
If you are coming to bama I'll bring extra tires. Just come and have fun. Ill do some checking to get tires here ASAP
Closed Thread