Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #13771
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
Myron,

I totally support the USVTA rules and always have. Drivers figure and numbers included. I was discussing the same thing with our track's owner the other night about it as well, and believed before, now, and continue to in the future, that the rules that are in place make sense, and I believe that you either go USVTA rules, or don't do it at all. If that was ever the question, then I apologize, as that was never my intention. My original question of clarification was just because I knew people at our track using some of the various upgrades or planning to (the Syn rotor, vented end bells, etc)

Somehow asking for clarification turned into a discussion about upgrades and what was worthwhile for VTA. That then degraded into some kind of witch hunt where anyone running anything besides a rubber band powered TT01 was the devil and needs to learn to drive.

I think there is a wide gap between the two sides though. You do not need a $2000 car to win, that is absolutely true. But to say that the newest Xray with a top end battery, dyno picked motor, and setup by a worlds driver is going to be the same as a TC3 is extreme the other direction as well, especially in the hands of an average driver. While I want to continue to bring new people into the hobby (4 old chassis' of mine have raced against me), I also want to help keep people in the hobby as well. If a person is getting smoked by other drivers, I don't tell him to learn to drive. I encourage practice of course, but I also try to help with setup, gearing, driving style, etc. I sure do not chastise him for wanting to go faster and be competitive with the other faster drivers.

A driver I run with put the SymCo(?) rotor in his car. His lap time dropped by almost 2 tenths. After the rules clarification, he removed it, and those 2 tenths disappeared. That is precisely why I agree with the rules, and he does as well. I sure can't say I blame him for wanting to use it when we thought it was legal though...

Can't we just go back to the regular discussion of how the forum Last Page button does not work and comparing sticker authenticy?
I think most of these guys just want you to focus on having some fun too. Don't get too caught up in the competition.

Some helpful hints:
Trackside screaming- having friends who yell things like "PUSH THE ISSUE" "BLAMMO!" or "PANTSLESS JUMPING JACKs IF YOU WIN!!"-(Credit- C.Goetz) makes it a lot more fun. Remember, it's not a golf match.

Try something new- Pack the main with as many cars as you have entered. Run backwards. Try rolling starts. Do open qualifying for hot lap and run 2 mains (the Omaha guys like this)... Just do something different, and have fun with it.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #13772
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I think most of these guys just want you to focus on having some fun too. Don't get too caught up in the competition.

Some helpful hints:
Trackside screaming- having friends who yell things like "PUSH THE ISSUE" "BLAMMO!" or "PANTSLESS JUMPING JACKs IF YOU WIN!!"-(Credit- C.Goetz) makes it a lot more fun. Remember, it's not a golf match.

Try something new- Pack the main with as many cars as you have entered. Run backwards. Try rolling starts. Do open qualifying for hot lap and run 2 mains (the Omaha guys like this)... Just do something different, and have fun with it.
Dirla always makes Myron start in the back and if he touches a car (His fault or not) he gets docked a lap! LOL Always makes it entertaining even for guys not racing!

EA
Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #13773
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post

all jokes aside...Ive got maybe 10 calls about the "new" rules...guys the stuff Robk is talking about is the stuff that makes your car slow(er)...I dont run any of it..and Im faster than most...but I will give you my ultimate secret

??? Perhaps I can enlighten your callers with the reasoning behind things...what is the problem??

Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #13774
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Dirla always makes Myron start in the back and if he touches a car (His fault or not) he gets docked a lap! LOL Always makes it entertaining even for guys not racing!

EA
Doesn't Myron always start in back anyway? (j/k) LOL

Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #13775
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Doesn't Myron always start in back anyway? (j/k) LOL
Myron has been pretty good lately and puts in a lot of track time (it showed at the birds). Probably doesnt hurt that he has us pushing him all the time and some looser built a couple of his cars for him too..

Ive been tempted to build a VTA car just so I can punt him around the track some! LOL

EA
Old 02-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #13776
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:

EA
That's hilarious! Almost the same thing is happening here at Mike's Hobby Shop in Texas. Our race director, Chris Adams, makes Andrew Doherty start in the back and if Andrew touches a car (his fault or not) he gets docked a lap. Andrew can afford it though since he typically finishes 5 or 6 laps ahead of the next closest VTA racer. Now the laps are being docked from Andrew if two other cars crash and roll over on the track even if Andrew is nowhere even close to the accident.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #13777
Tech Champion

Quote:
Myron has been pretty good lately and puts in a lot of track time (it showed at the birds). Probably doesnt hurt that he has us pushing him all the time and some looser built a couple of his cars for him too..

Ive been tempted to build a VTA car just so I can punt him around the track some! LOL

EA
You need to coach him up for the Scale Nats in April.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #13778
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

EA
I am sure someone would just hand you a radio to see what would happen.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #13779
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up USVTA.........HHHHHHMMMMM......YAWN

Where do I start, You know every thread or forum you follow whether it be RC racing 1/1 racing or darts gets off on these tangents.....WHAT IF .....why not,...... but if....you should. But it does get tiresom, this is one of my favorite threads. Its very clear to me the class is USVTA....OH...dam I guess that leaves me out I'm in "Canada". Seriously though when I picked up on the intial idea and efforts of those who put something like this together I was quite interested, Keep it up, Its taken a lot of work to build what you have and its going to take a lot more to keep it what it is. I was fifteen when my father stopped at the local Ford dealership and we looked at the 1964 white with red interior, six cylinder, automatic Mustang on the showroom floor. My fathers first comment six automatic, what kind of sports car is that!!!! But as they say the rest is history...We had a 63 Parisienne ( Canadian) Pontiac 2dr hardtop 327 4 speed. Yeh my dad was a car guy. Then came the Camaro, Firebird and the rest. I was hooked. What caught my eye was the simplicity and economy of the rules, and I had 2 like new TC3 RTR's I had taken on trade for something, and 4 cell 1/12packs I started with four cell 27t on carpet. When summer came we ran outdoor on a 140 x80' prepped asphalt surface. I was the only one to run the spek wheels and tires hoping it would catch on, I ran a GTB, 21.5 motor and 3200 2s lipo because thats what I had, I had to race in touring stock because I had the only VTA, well it took a while, the car was junk to start with, plus I had no Touring car experience. Thanks to the TC3 thread and USVTA thread I read, tweaked, changed settings and setups, until I was putting the hurt on the TC stock guys with the red 68 Budweiser decaled (yes they are the low drag decals) Camaro . I ran all summer on 2 sets of fronts and 1 1/2 sets of rears, Seems like the more they wear the better they get, and the more worn out the TC3 gets the faster it is. I have been browsing Ebay all winter and picked a FTTC4 built but never run and also scored FTTC3 chasis and parts all new. The TC5 I bought last fall as a replacement for the TC3 beater sits on the shelf and will probably be sold.

TC3 UPGRADES, shocks, light weight Diffs, 60 tooth 64p spur (1 1/2 scale spur) saves all the dremeling, I found an old Barry Baker asphalt set up that seems to work very well, Silver front springs, blue rears, 35wt oil front and rear. GTB esc, borrowed 21.5 motor, The 3200 packs allow me to get down to 1450g . car has been balanced on scales. I like the shaft drive no belts to get crudded up.

Anyway back to the thread burners.......A wise old gentleman told me one time, "SON" believe nuthin ya read and only half of what ya see. Yeh The wise old gentleman drove a 63 Pontiac. So keep it simple, as simple as technology will allow, If what you want to run doesnt fit the rules go to where it does. The Calgary race club has lowered the min wt to 1450g and stayed with the 21.5 motor and there cars have basically all upgraded to the belt drive cars. Kinda puts the older heavier cars at a diisadvantage. Yes my car isn't quite legal but if I can get a few more cars out this summer I will be 100 o/o legal.

Man I do ramble, but I just wanted to get my dog in this fight....Above all keep it simple and have FUN!!!!!!!

TJ

Oh "YEH"....I forgot to add..No good deed goes un punished!!!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #13780
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Wow, these last few discussions remind me WAY too much of the kind of garbage discussions that used to go on in Touring Car. Who tweaked this and who tweaked that and how we can eek out the last bit of performance from this esc or that motor.
What the hell happened to good old VTA ? Whats with this sudden urge to be "team driver" fast ??
Who gives a s*%T !! Just build it, learn to set it up and drive it and go out to the nearest track or parking lot and play with your TOY CAR like an adult !!
Really.....this line of talk is worthless.
+1 hence the reason I go to club races. I am new still..Sure I want to race hard and win all the time...but I have no clue what the hell I am doing out side turn remote on, turn car on, pull trigger and race.

This is why I go to Dino ask my questions, and play around and race.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #13781
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I am sure someone would just hand you a radio to see what would happen.
Ive driven my fair share of them. Even driven Dirlas left handed radio backwards with his car.

EA
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #13782
Tech Master

Yes this class is supposed to be fun but since when did the rules state what kind of fun you should have? Some guys love to drive no matter the car. Some love to hang out at the track. I know I do. But why all of the bashing for the guy that is having fun tuning, upgrading, practicing. And trying to go faster then he ever has before? What about the guy who gets a rush from chasing another car nose to tail just waiting for the perfect spot to make the pass then vigorously protecting the racing line so the guy behind him has to earn it? This can be fun. Guys this is racing no matter how you want to look at it. It is more than a bashing session in the street in front of the house. We all race this class for different reasons. I personally find the technology fascinating. So much that I will read about the new Novak rotor not to use it but just to try and understand it. Lipo batteries are just as fascinating. All the way from how they are built to how they work. So if a guy is looking to try something new to go faster let him. The hunt for the answer can be fun too. Since this is vta and not some super high end mega mod touring class I bet that guy will be perfectly willing to share what he has found. Most of the guys that run fast aren't looking to win everything they enter. Its the challenge to themselves to go fast that is the appeal.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #13783
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default The ole girl is finally finished.

Please before you flame me for the number plates. I am working on setting up a race in my home town for the SUSAN G KOMEN foundation. This the pink number plates. I know hot pink isnt an authorized color. want to get a USVT and USGT race going in the summer during our summer festival last year they had GoKarts from indy came up and drove. I want to bring RC back to my AREA. I may call upon the powers that be to give me some guidance since. i kinda doing this myself, and the 3 LHS within 25 miles of me do not have tracks and do not support racing. But they still want my money. Anyways I am getting off topic here. just wanted to post up some pics of my baby she will have her maiden voyage this Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-saks1-vta.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-saks2-vta.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-saks3-vta.jpg  
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #13784
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

This response is not meant in a harsh/bashing kind of way, so think of it as a conversation over a beer - lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
since when did the rules state what kind of fun you should have? Some guys love to drive no matter the car. Some love to hang out at the track. I know I do. But why all of the bashing for the guy that is having fun tuning, upgrading, practicing.
Well, if someones idea of fun is grinding on a shiny new $90 motor, spending $50 on "upgrade" parts for a $90 motor, then the rules actually do state what kind of fun you can have! On the other hand, I think everyone is cool with on-track practice time?? Improving driving and having fun racing/driving is what this class is about.

Quote:
Guys this is racing no matter how you want to look at it. It is more than a bashing session in the street in front of the house.
Agreed that it is racing, but there are different types of racing. There are NASCAR cup cars where it is a massive R&D type of racing, and then there is CMC (Camaro-Mustang Challenge) where racers dyno the motors to prove they are UNDER the horsepower limit, and generally don't touch the motor all year long except for maintenance. VTA is designed to be more like the latter - the whole point of the class is you can bolt in a stock motor and run it until the bearings wear out, and everyone can have the same amount of power without going to crazy levels of effort (like hacking up or spending $50 to upgrade a new motor).

Quote:
So much that I will read about the new Novak rotor not to use it but just to try and understand it. Lipo batteries are just as fascinating. All the way from how they are built to how they work. So if a guy is looking to try something new to go faster let him.
VTA is a spec class. It is not meant for the guy who wants to try different rotors, drill or grind on their expensive motor, thats what touring is for. The "problem" with throwing the "spec" recipe out the window is suddenly VTA just becomes a slow touring car class, but half the reason VTA is as successful as it is, is because it's NOT touring car. The very fact that you don't have to worry about ramping/timing ESCs, software of the month, motor of the month, tweak/tune/hack of the month is part of the successful formula. You can bring your old TC3 to the track with its old havoc and 17.5SS, leave the laptop and expensive stuff at home, and still be competitive and still have fun. Once you take that away, then most of the guys start staying home or not having time to "keep up", and then the few guys who tweaked till eternity now find themselves in a dead class.

This exact pattern has happened many times in RC history. For example, I don't know about your area, but in ours, spec slash was HUGE (and was also huge fun!!), but the limits of the rules kept getting pushed and the further we creeped away from spec, the less guys came; till the point where it's just a shell of it's former self. The same thing happened with 17.5 touring car in our area - very popular, then ramping came along which killed 13.5 and also raised the bar to even race in 17.5; and now 17.5 is a shell of it's former self too. Ramping is now "out of fashion" for 17.5 but it will take years to get all those racers back; I don't want to see the same thing happen to VTA!

Quote:
The hunt for the answer can be fun too. Since this is vta and not some super high end mega mod touring class I bet that guy will be perfectly willing to share what he has found. Most of the guys that run fast aren't looking to win everything they enter. Its the challenge to themselves to go fast that is the appeal.
Some guys will share some of their "secrets", this is already a barrier to entry into RC. Who do you ask? who do they trust? which guy is misleading you, which guy is being honest?
VTA, 1/10 nitro, touring, USGT, F1, and more!
www.speedworldraceway.com
Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #13785
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageracing View Post
Please before you flame me for the number plates. I am working on setting up a race in my home town for the SUSAN G KOMEN foundation. This the pink number plates. I know hot pink isnt an authorized color. want to get a USVT and USGT race going in the summer during our summer festival last year they had GoKarts from indy came up and drove. I want to bring RC back to my AREA. I may call upon the powers that be to give me some guidance since. i kinda doing this myself, and the 3 LHS within 25 miles of me do not have tracks and do not support racing. But they still want my money. Anyways I am getting off topic here. just wanted to post up some pics of my baby she will have her maiden voyage this Sunday.
NICELY DONE !! I see you're driving the Sakura.....lots of Pink on that chassis I believe so the body should go great !! Good Luck getting this race together.
Closed Thread