Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #13741
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Seriously, dyno all the motors you want. Dave Johnson (or anyone else with a ton of talent) will continue to crush everybody.
That was some smooth wheel work by Dave. I hope everyone saw the link I posted to the VTA Amain in the Snowbirds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
...but Dave didnt beat me with some new upgrade, he beat me cause he was smooth under pressure and didnt give me any room to advance...
Are you sure that it wasnt purple CA glue holding his tires to the rims, or maybe glow in the dark locktight on all of his hardware? Maybe it was his stickers. Stickers make you faster you know.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #13742
Tech Champion

it had to be the stickers...they even said "speed- something"...thats was it...examine the pic close and you will see it...lol

all jokes aside...Ive got maybe 10 calls about the "new" rules...guys the stuff Robk is talking about is the stuff that makes your car slow(er)...I dont run any of it..and Im faster than most...but I will give you my ultimate secret

PRACTICE SETUP PRACTICE

and thats the truth...money cant buy you a win in USVTA...there are plenty that will try...but more of us that dont drop dollars, will still be better, not because of anything but^

PS...dont buy new products till they are approved the the USVTA, 1st...Ive said this before..almost everything that comes down the pipe is tested, and tested...to make sure its right for the class...have some patience
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-snowbirds_2012_sunday_941.jpg  
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #13743
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepate View Post
I bought the last set of 26 993's from Stormer ( great guys by the way). The D-compound slicks are around tho....When's the container going to arrive???
Nobody has any, HPI is out.

They keep telling everybody, "end of February". Well that's coming up!

Problem is, only got one supplier. When HPI is out... it's NO SOUP FOR YOU!

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #13744
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Maybe it was his stickers. Stickers make you faster you know.

Not so far from the truth. I heard Carl Seils is soon to release his new "Speed Stickers". Scientifically designed to reduce the drag coefficient of any car you put them on. They must be applied to at least the hood and both doors. Additional stickers applied to the fender areas will just make the car a freaking rocket !!
Apparently DJ was using a set of prototypes.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #13745
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Wow, these last few discussions remind me WAY too much of the kind of garbage discussions that used to go on in Touring Car. Who tweaked this and who tweaked that and how we can eek out the last bit of performance from this esc or that motor.
What the hell happened to good old VTA ? Whats with this sudden urge to be "team driver" fast ??
Who gives a s*%T !! Just build it, learn to set it up and drive it and go out to the nearest track or parking lot and play with your TOY CAR like an adult !!
Really.....this line of talk is worthless.
+1... Learn how to tweak your chassis setups, and get some practice. It'll seem like your motor gained 10 watts of power once your chassis works properly. Combine that with some tighter lines around the track, and you'll have a winning combination.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #13746
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepate View Post
Somebody have a line on tires???? I'm desperate for 4797's and 4793's. I need two sets. Even the 102993 & 994's, which I know are not legal, but need them for practice/parking-lot bashing, are all dried-up. I bought the last set of 26 993's from Stormer ( great guys by the way). The D-compound slicks are around tho....When's the container going to arrive???
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200816173

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200816175

Wholesale trains has both at a good price.

http://www.rchover.com/Vintage-Racin...-p/hpi4793.htm

http://www.rchover.com/Vintage-Racin...-p/hpi4797.htm

Rchover.com has both.

If you look at my previous post there are a few others, but you can't tell if they're in stock until you place an order.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #13747
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Wow, these last few discussions remind me WAY too much of the kind of garbage discussions that used to go on in Touring Car. Who tweaked this and who tweaked that and how we can eek out the last bit of performance from this esc or that motor.
What the hell happened to good old VTA ? Whats with this sudden urge to be "team driver" fast ??
Who gives a s*%T !! Just build it, learn to set it up and drive it and go out to the nearest track or parking lot and play with your TOY CAR like an adult !!
Really.....this line of talk is worthless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
+1... Learn how to tweak your chassis setups, and get some practice. It'll seem like your motor gained 10 watts of power once your chassis works properly. Combine that with some tighter lines around the track, and you'll have a winning combination.
Sadly, this attitude pushes just as many people out of racing as the money based buying speed thing does. I race 1:1 cars, and we used to talk with the vintage racers, as they would go out there and do parade laps (not all vintage clubs are this way) and it wasn't really racing at all. It was a bunch of nostalgic guys running their dream cars from their earlier years. For them, it was a great thrill to get that old classic in authentic livery out on a race track with a bunch of the same era cars. More power to them, there is nothing wrong with that. I raced for speed though. Going fast, lowering lap times, beating other cars, that was what I enjoyed out of it. Both types of people exist and thrive in 1:1, why can't that be the same here? Why can't there be innovation and pushing the cars to the limit and driving faster?

As a club, we are working to get faster. At the beginning of our current season, 11.9 was the time to beat. One guy was able to do an 11.3 (dyno'd motor, good battery, brand new car with all options, not to mention a very good driver), but the rest of the guys were 11.9. We slowly got faster, tweaking chassis settings, motor timing, FDR's, etc. Last Wedneday, 5 of us managed to run in the 11.5's. It is close racing, fun racing, and I enjoy it.

So tell me why there is so much negative to wanting to go faster? Why is it that there is no suggestions on chassis setup, how to find the optimum FDR, body discussions, or anything else? Why is it when someone wants to go faster, they get "learn to drive noob!"??

I get the feeling that I am just going to get jumped all over for posting this, as that seems to be the way of things lately. I am not blessed with any natural talent in driving an rc car. I can't pick up any old rusty car, tweak a few screws, and dominate the field like Myron can. I want to learn, just as anyone else does, so why is that such a bad thing?

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #13748
Tech Master

I'm going to put an orange 13.5 ring on my 25.5. Then my motor will think its a 13.5 and it will go faster.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #13749
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
Sadly, this attitude pushes just as many people out of racing as the money based buying speed thing does. I race 1:1 cars, and we used to talk with the vintage racers, as they would go out there and do parade laps (not all vintage clubs are this way) and it wasn't really racing at all. It was a bunch of nostalgic guys running their dream cars from their earlier years. For them, it was a great thrill to get that old classic in authentic livery out on a race track with a bunch of the same era cars. More power to them, there is nothing wrong with that. I raced for speed though. Going fast, lowering lap times, beating other cars, that was what I enjoyed out of it. Both types of people exist and thrive in 1:1, why can't that be the same here? Why can't there be innovation and pushing the cars to the limit and driving faster?

As a club, we are working to get faster. At the beginning of our current season, 11.9 was the time to beat. One guy was able to do an 11.3 (dyno'd motor, good battery, brand new car with all options, not to mention a very good driver), but the rest of the guys were 11.9. We slowly got faster, tweaking chassis settings, motor timing, FDR's, etc. Last Wedneday, 5 of us managed to run in the 11.5's. It is close racing, fun racing, and I enjoy it.

So tell me why there is so much negative to wanting to go faster? Why is it that there is no suggestions on chassis setup, how to find the optimum FDR, body discussions, or anything else? Why is it when someone wants to go faster, they get "learn to drive noob!"??

I get the feeling that I am just going to get jumped all over for posting this, as that seems to be the way of things lately. I am not blessed with any natural talent in driving an rc car. I can't pick up any old rusty car, tweak a few screws, and dominate the field like Myron can. I want to learn, just as anyone else does, so why is that such a bad thing?
no joking...getting a slow car to go fast is a great thing...thats an edge...but buying a bunch of junk to make it "seem" fast is a waste...what the USVTA is looking at is that ppl tend to buy what the friend has and so on...if you want to add these things, I personally dont see an issue...but I hate for you to do that and see later that it was a waste of money....thats all...

the real issue is that when somebody takes a regular stock 25.5 and still beats a guy with a built ballastic...thats going tick him off...but say he beats the guy with the reg Ballastic...guess what?...he is going to get all over the upgrades....

$40 tunning rotor
$30 vented end bells
$15 cooling ring
$10 ceramics
$45 red wire epoxy stator
ect.....

and before long it will be something else...like stickers..

but I understand where you and others are coming from....but when you look at it from a racers view thats trying to keep cost down, and maintain a level playing field...its a hard mix...

if we was to allow all of those upgrades...it will open the door for even more down the line...

Now Novak cut off the red wire epoxy to the 25.5...

would it be more "fair" to say that you could upgrade as long as it came from the Novak upgrades?

and also...my car and setup is posted everywhere...I dont hide anything...I just found the sweet spot on my motor and thats where it stays
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #13750
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQMhKKcaJPscYOrsPz8x-lw?view_as=subscriber
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #13751
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Hey guys I know its a couple weeks late but I thought I would post the video from the Snowbirds.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
watch this...yummy..
Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #13752
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
no joking...getting a slow car to go fast is a great thing...thats an edge...but buying a bunch of junk to make it "seem" fast is a waste...what the USVTA is looking at is that ppl tend to buy what the friend has and so on...if you want to add these things, I personally dont see an issue...but I hate for you to do that and see later that it was a waste of money....thats all...

the real issue is that when somebody takes a regular stock 25.5 and still beats a guy with a built ballastic...thats going tick him off...but say he beats the guy with the reg Ballastic...guess what?...he is going to get all over the upgrades....

$40 tunning rotor
$30 vented end bells
$15 cooling ring
$10 ceramics
$45 red wire epoxy stator
ect.....

and before long it will be something else...like stickers..

but I understand where you and others are coming from....but when you look at it from a racers view thats trying to keep cost down, and maintain a level playing field...its a hard mix...

if we was to allow all of those upgrades...it will open the door for even more down the line...

Now Novak cut off the red wire epoxy to the 25.5...

would it be more "fair" to say that you could upgrade as long as it came from the Novak upgrades?

and also...my car and setup is posted everywhere...I dont hide anything...I just found the sweet spot on my motor and thats where it stays
Myron,

I totally support the USVTA rules and always have. Drivers figure and numbers included. I was discussing the same thing with our track's owner the other night about it as well, and believed before, now, and continue to in the future, that the rules that are in place make sense, and I believe that you either go USVTA rules, or don't do it at all. If that was ever the question, then I apologize, as that was never my intention. My original question of clarification was just because I knew people at our track using some of the various upgrades or planning to (the Syn rotor, vented end bells, etc)

Somehow asking for clarification turned into a discussion about upgrades and what was worthwhile for VTA. That then degraded into some kind of witch hunt where anyone running anything besides a rubber band powered TT01 was the devil and needs to learn to drive.

I think there is a wide gap between the two sides though. You do not need a $2000 car to win, that is absolutely true. But to say that the newest Xray with a top end battery, dyno picked motor, and setup by a worlds driver is going to be the same as a TC3 is extreme the other direction as well, especially in the hands of an average driver. While I want to continue to bring new people into the hobby (4 old chassis' of mine have raced against me), I also want to help keep people in the hobby as well. If a person is getting smoked by other drivers, I don't tell him to learn to drive. I encourage practice of course, but I also try to help with setup, gearing, driving style, etc. I sure do not chastise him for wanting to go faster and be competitive with the other faster drivers.

A driver I run with put the SymCo(?) rotor in his car. His lap time dropped by almost 2 tenths. After the rules clarification, he removed it, and those 2 tenths disappeared. That is precisely why I agree with the rules, and he does as well. I sure can't say I blame him for wanting to use it when we thought it was legal though...

Can't we just go back to the regular discussion of how the forum Last Page button does not work and comparing sticker authenticy?

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #13753
Tech Master

I think the white and black stickers are faster then the red and blue ones. If you want to go really fast get the grey stickers. They combine the power of the black and white ones.

By the way the number 17 is faster than all of the others.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #13754
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post

+10 I'm with you, new to VTA and trying to go faster by paying my dues, practicing, working on setups, helping others get their VTA cars on the track for the first time, etc. But feel like many of us keep getting crapped on anytime we try to contribute to this thread.

I think I'm done being discouraged by the response attitudes and will just silently read along for awhile.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #13755
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think what some people are missing here is the progression from a "NOOB" to a racer.

A new person is going to enter the hobby and not realize what it takes to become a racer. They are going to buy all of the "purple heat sinks" to try to keep up with the fast guys. They don't realize that their driving skills and setup skills are non-existant and get frustrated with buying all the purple stuff and not seeing any results. Eventually they quit. If we can keep them from buying all the extra stuff and get them to focus on driving and setup, they will stay in the hobby much longer. They will actually see progression and enjoy the hobby.

Then you have the other guys who have progressed as drivers to the point that they are now looking to become racers. Those guys are looking for the last few tenths from their equipment and driving skills. Some are willing to get the dynos and do the testing. Others will make tiny changes to their cars to see if it gets better. The key difference is that these guys can drive and understand why they are making the changes and purchasing all of that equipment.

A good sign of camaraderie and goodwill is to make sure people don't try to go from NOOB to RACER in one step. They need to progress through the various stages of the hobby until they reach the step where they are comfortable.

I'm to the point where i'm ready to make tiny changes to my car to start picking up tenths. Will i ever buy a dyno or gauss meter to check my motors? No. But it is something i find interesting, and given enough money and time i'd probably look into it. But time and money are something i don't have a lot of, so i'll just stick with chassis tuning and practice for now.
Closed Thread