Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.teamassociated.com/cart/

AE has them...
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #13609
Tech Champion

GS Hobby was at the BIRDS...and had alot of the newer Reedy lipos in stock...Im going give them a call to see what they have in stock...

http://gshobby.com/
Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #13610
Tech Addict

I just last week bought a Reedy 709. Almost the same specs in the same case.

709 = 7.4v, 5000mah, 35c
763 = 7.4v, 5000mah, 25c

I'm sure the 709s are being phased out and replaced by the 763s but if you need one right now they are available. http://www.ehobbies.com/asc709.html as an example.

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #13611
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey gents. I am sorta new to VTA. I currenty own a Mione and i have a few questions about lipos.

why is it that VTA has a 5000 mah restriction.

where can i find VTA approved lipos on a budget. my local shop does not carry 2 cell 5000 mah.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #13612
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyrehntrd View Post
hey gents. I am sorta new to VTA. I currenty own a Mione and i have a few questions about lipos.

why is it that VTA has a 5000 mah restriction.

where can i find VTA approved lipos on a budget. my local shop does not carry 2 cell 5000 mah.
Dave, here's a good link for inexpensive batteries. http://www.hobbypartz.com/geaceroap.html

As for the 5000 limit. VTA had decided to curb the inevitible battery size war that always occurs in RC. People rush out to buy the biggest mah they can thinking that it'll help performance. Ultimately it hurts the class because of the costs incurred. VTA was designed to have a lower cost of entry, therefore a good compromise in battery size was chosen with the additional benefit being that most chassis, even the older ones, would accept a 5000 or slightly smaller with little complication.
Keep the cost low
No need for bigger
fits most chassis
prevents a "battery war" situation

As for the local shop not carrying them. When the bulk of your business is trucks where every yahoo wants big and bigger to go bash it for an hour each time , it wouldn't make sense to try and sell 5000mah when 5800 is what they want. Notice their rules for the race program.....no limit in battery size.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #13613
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The limit is to make it a drivers race and not how much money you can spend, search for some Gens Ace Lipos, I've used them for a while now with no problem and half the price.
RC Apparel - http://www.bluegrooveapparel.com Globalhobby.com - XtM Racing Teamxtm.com
Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #13614
Tech Adept

Looks as if I'm eventually going try VTA racing. Got a call from a guy with a TC4 wanting to trade for one of my older oval cars. Was actually leaning towards a belt car but for my lack of on-road talent, this will do just fine for quite some time.

Body question, just to clerify, USVTA rules list the Bolink BL2262 68 Camaro and BL2263 65 Mustang but RJ Speed is now the manufacture of those bodies. Checking the website, the part numbers apprear to be nearly the same with an added letter "O" between the B and L. I'm fairly certain they are pulled from the same mold. Is it safe to assume that the RJ Speed bodies will be "legal"?

I agree on the batteries. No reason to buy into overkill of mega capacity and c rating. Can't understand how 5000 couldn't be more than plenty even for an 8 minute main. One of the national dirt oval series specs a 3400 limit on batteries with a 13.5 motor and they're hammered at full power a major portion of the 5 minute race! With VTA using 25.5 motors, 5000mAh seems to be a more than generous upper limit. Should be plenty of decent used sticks out there. I figure I'll use the 2 y.o. batt from my dirt Late Model, should be just fine.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #13615
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I can run two, 5-minutes heats, back to back without charging with my 5000mah battery.

Buy two, and you could run all day without bringing the charger to the track.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #13616
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
I can run two, 5-minutes heats, back to back without charging with my 5000mah battery.

Buy two, and you could run all day without bringing the charger to the track.
I use 1200 to 1350 mah in a 6 min qualifier, and about 1600 in an 8 min main. I run a 5000mah pack purely for weight.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #13617
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno-Machino View Post
Looks as if I'm eventually going try VTA racing. Got a call from a guy with a TC4 wanting to trade for one of my older oval cars. Was actually leaning towards a belt car but for my lack of on-road talent, this will do just fine for quite some time.

Body question, just to clerify, USVTA rules list the Bolink BL2262 68 Camaro and BL2263 65 Mustang but RJ Speed is now the manufacture of those bodies. Checking the website, the part numbers apprear to be nearly the same with an added letter "O" between the B and L. I'm fairly certain they are pulled from the same mold. Is it safe to assume that the RJ Speed bodies will be "legal"?

I agree on the batteries. No reason to buy into overkill of mega capacity and c rating. Can't understand how 5000 couldn't be more than plenty even for an 8 minute main. One of the national dirt oval series specs a 3400 limit on batteries with a 13.5 motor and they're hammered at full power a major portion of the 5 minute race! With VTA using 25.5 motors, 5000mAh seems to be a more than generous upper limit. Should be plenty of decent used sticks out there. I figure I'll use the 2 y.o. batt from my dirt Late Model, should be just fine.
Personally, I run a FTTC4 and personally I prefer the feel of a shafty but some of the newer cars offer better traction in box stock setup.

But If you need help with setup I have done extensive testing and also the TC4 thread here on Rctech is still busy and has tonnes of info on it.

BTW I race against TC6's Xray T3's and still beat them with my trusty TC4

With Batteries I run a 20C 5000mah pack which for 20 min or racing does not get soft.

And I don;t charge between heats and the main. When I get home I only put hack 3300 or so mah and by the main since the voltage is down a bit I actually get better lap times as I am smoother.

Remember Slow is fast.

An Old timer once told me: To be First, FIRST you must finnish.

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #13618
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Because there's No Justifiable Reason a person can't run a higher capacity pack. It's not about upgrades in performance, its about allowing more batteries to be used. They are still 2S, and there is no discernible improvement in performance. So why o why would we tell someone trying to get into the class, that the 2S lipo they use in their other RCs is illegal for VTA? If it made any difference at all, it would make sense. It doesn't. I don't understand the need for a that rule.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQMhKKcaJPscYOrsPz8x-lw?view_as=subscriber
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #13619
Tech Champion

If I come to your track with a 6500 65 c battery and constantly beat your best racers. And we are all running all under USVTA rules. Are you not going to go out a buy a bigger better battery.

We all know that ppl follow the fast guys. Motor tires esc radio and battery. Almost every TC racer at my track runs what EA runs. Just like almost every USVTA racers runs what me or William runs.

If I go buy a $150 battery, I promise every VTA racer that can afford it will too. Not because its faster but because it seems faster when driven by the fast guys
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #13620
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
If I come to your track with a 6500 65 c battery and constantly beat your best racers. And we are all running all under USVTA rules. Are you not going to go out a buy a bigger better battery.

We all know that ppl follow the fast guys. Motor tires esc radio and battery. Almost every TC racer at my track runs what EA runs. Just like almost every USVTA racers runs what me or William runs.

If I go buy a $150 battery, I promise every VTA racer that can afford it will too. Not because its faster but because it seems faster when driven by the fast guys
That's why Myron tells everyone he is running a rusted SS motor with an old pen cap for a rotor, a 7.6 FDR, and 3 AA batteries in his TC3.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
Closed Thread