U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TimPotter
FSEARA will be having the first race of our 2008 season next week. We will be running the Vintage T/A class for the first time as an option class. I have recieved a lot of feedback that we shoud be looking at two heats full of cars. We will report back, during the weekend.
Great to hear, Tim. I'm anxious to see the photos and hear the feedback. You guys are on asphalt, right? Planning on the 13.5 or 17.5 rule?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

This is mine...and I will stick with brushed motor/speedo...brushed 6x1 with 27 can and sticker that is...LOL

P.S....before running any of these TA bodies from HPI, please SHOE GLUE the front headlight/bumper area by a TONS. You will need that.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_0931.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_0930.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-img_0929.jpg  
Old 01-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

We are running the 13.5 for this year ( Becuase it is what everyone had) and will see where that goes. Yes we run on 6 different asphalt tracks for this season.

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Great to hear, Tim. I'm anxious to see the photos and hear the feedback. You guys are on asphalt, right? Planning on the 13.5 or 17.5 rule?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Ok, one of the questions I have been asked a lot is, "how are we supposed to tech FDR with unknown cars?"

I created a simple Excel spreadsheet of as many touring cars as I could find. You can use it as a simple print out to figure out if a questionable car is legal or not, or—if you have a computer with Excel—you can use the chart as a calculator to figure out what the FDR ratio is in the car. Or, to see what gear combos will work for you, plug in a spur and a pinion to see how you can get close to 4.0 with the 17.5 motor.

This rule will be GREATLY built on the honor system, and while it is not infallible, it should keep the playing field pretty level. All cars need not be teched for this FDR, but 17.5 cars with obviously too much speed can be systematically checked, as needed.

There are two files attached, both are essentially identical. One is a straightforward Excel .xls file in a ZIPPED archive, and the other is a generic .xml file that should work in any spreadsheet reader, including older versions of Excel.

The XLS format in a ZIP file is now also available on the website in the Rules section.

doug
Attached Files
File Type: zip
fdr_calculator_xls.zip (7.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: zip
fdr_calculator_xml.zip (4.0 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by squarehead; 01-15-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Calculators updated
Old 01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This is a pretty cool idea. Ive been looking for a realtively low coast way to get into onroad racing for a while now and this looks like just the ticket.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Doug, you guys think about breakout racing ?

Run a laptime faster then say XX.XX and that lap does not count
Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Doug, you guys think about breakout racing ?

Run a laptime faster then say XX.XX and that lap does not count
Yes, great on ovals, but on a wider scale than club racing, very difficult to come up with a good index. A mystical perfect lap with well-tuned car goes punished on a road course. Then you're penalizing a fast guy who happens to click off a lap when perfect corners are just clipped, trying to outrun chasers. Lower the number enough, and the index becomes pointless.

I love the idea of break-out racing, but on road courses, it seems to be more potentially problematic than helpful.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

So I got a couple Camaro bodies today, but I also recieved two headlight decal sheets with one? Is there a certain sheet to go with a certain trim level or package (ie is one for Z28 and the other for SS, wild guess)?

Here:

And a gratuitous shot of the now roller EC:

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (93%+)

what company was the body from ?

hpi or parma
Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Awesome pics of TA's except Solara's. You better put Shoe Goop on the back of that sucker because I'm going to ram it!!

Andy..as a Mustang fan I cannot help you :P

====

That spreadsheet is awesome Doug. Can you edit the file so that the first two rolls do not scroll with the rest? I forgot what that's called in Excel. That way as the user scrolls down to find his car the field names stay in place.

Otherwise...awesome.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
what company was the body from ?

hpi or parma
Its the HPI body.

Originally Posted by Nexus
Awesome pics of TA's except Solara's. You better put Shoe Goop on the back of that sucker because I'm going to ram it!!

Andy..as a Mustang fan I cannot help you :P
Bah, the only thing Ford ever did was circle the problem

Kidding, kidding!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Who can make this race? I might try and get the pass for this early.

Would be fun to race 1/12th and Trans Am. The TC class seems to be foam so I'd probably skip that. Hmmm

Michiana RC (in Mishawaka, Indiana) will hold the first annual "King of the Road" on-road trophy race on January 27th, 2008.

Time: Sunday, January 27th. Doors open at 8:00am, racing starts at Noon

Website: www.michianarc.com All track information is there, including class rules, etc.

Track: Track is 36' x 60'. Carpet is CRC Ozite (two seasons old).

General: Three heats and a main. Re-sorts will be done after the second round. IFMAR qualifying in all classes. Scoring done with RC Scoring Pro software. Personal transponders are not only accepted, but recommended. We do have house transponders.

Cost: First class will be $15.00, second class $10.00, any additional class is $5.00.

Registration: We will do (and recommend) an advance registration. We will have the signup sheet available soon, and signup will be able to be done either online or in-person at the track. We will RESERVE PIT SPACE based on registrations. We have plenty of pit spaces available, both in two lofts, or on the track floor. We will begin registrations THIS FRIDAY. Entry form is available here.

Classes and Rules:
  • 12th Scale Stock Advanced: This class follows ROAR rules for all car specs. Motors allowed are ROAR-legal Brushed Stock Motors, or 17.5 Brushless systems (no tuning rotors allowed) Batteries are a 4600mAh limit. 8 minute heats and mains.
  • 12th Scale Novice: This is a Michiana RC Class that runs all the same rules as stock, but uses standard Mabuchi 540 motors. (We sell them at the track dirt-cheap) This class is intended for the novice racer. 5 minute heats and mains.
  • Touring Car Stock Advanced: This is a FOAM TIRE class (although rubber tires are permitted) Cars follow ROAR rules. Motors allowed are ROAR-legal Brushed Stock Motors, or 13.5 Brushless systems (no tuning rotors allowed) Batteries are a 4600mAh limit, or LiPo batteries that fit the criteria listed HERE. 5 minute heats and mains.
  • Stadium Truck Novice: This is a Michiana RC class that runs on the carpet with full carpeted jumps & a tabletop. Foam tires are recommended (although rubber tires are permitted, but any SOFT knobbies must be ground down to a slick-like status) Trucks follow ROAR rules. Motors allowed are ROAR-legal Brushed Stock Motors, or 13.5 Brushless systems (no tuning rotors allowed) Batteries are a 4600mAh limit, or LiPo batteries that fit the criteria listed HERE. 5 minute heats and mains. This is intended for the novice racer.
  • Stadium Truck Stock Advanced: This is a Michiana RC class that runs on the carpet with full carpeted jumps & a tabletop. Foam tires are recommended (although rubber tires are permitted, but any SOFT knobbies must be ground down to a slick-like status) Trucks follow ROAR rules. Motors allowed are ROAR-legal Brushed Stock Motors, or 13.5 Brushless systems (no tuning rotors allowed) Batteries are a 4600mAh limit, or LiPo batteries that fit the criteria listed HERE. 5 minute heats and mains. This class usually has a competitive 1-2 lap separation, and is intended for advanced racers.
  • Mini (18th Scale) Open: This will be an open class for any mini car or truck. The class will race in an ON-ROAD configuration (no jumps). Scalpels, Xray's Mini, 18T's, and the like can run. Motors are open (brushed or brushless). Batteries are open to most anything. LiPo's, however, are NOT allowed in this class (no hard cases)
  • U.S. Vintage Trans Am: This will be an exhibition class for this race, and will run based completely on the U.S. Vintage Trans Am rules and class structure. Please see www.usvintagetransam.com for complete rules and contact information.
General Note on Classes: Often times, we get asked about "other" classes, such as Modified or 19 turn classes. We will purchase trophies for the above listed classes ONLY, as they will be personalized to the class. You ARE welcome to race a class not listed above. However, we MUST have a minimum of four to a class (for marshaling). If you show up with the only intention of running, say, TC Modified- understand there is the possibility that you will NOT be racing. Keep that in mind, please. We'll do our best to accommodate you, but will adhere to the rules, and will not compromise (I.E., there MUST be four cars, we will NOT allow you to race in another class that's "close")

I'm planning on bringing both of my cars out there on the 27th. It should be a little over 2 hours or so from the Chicago area and is close enough for Michigan, Illinois, Ohio and Indiana touring car guys to come and get a taste of this great class. Hope to see you there.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Sign-up form

Man, I'm glad to see some interest here! I had to update the form on our site..I had the wrong date..duh... and I also made it an editable form.

Form can be found here...
http://www.michianarc.com/index.php?...id=5&Itemid=29

Hopefully..seeya'll later.
Aaron
Old 01-15-2008, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nexus
That spreadsheet is awesome Doug. Can you edit the file so that the first two rolls do not scroll with the rest? I forgot what that's called in Excel. That way as the user scrolls down to find his car the field names stay in place.
Yeah, I'll lock those two rows when I get to the office. Good idea!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Ok, one of the questions I have been asked a lot is, "how are we supposed to tech FDR with unknown cars?"

I created a simple Excel spreadsheet of as many touring cars as I could find. You can use it as a simple print out to figure out if a questionable car is legal or not, or—if you have a computer with Excel—you can use the chart as a calculator to figure out what the FDR ratio is in the car. Or, to see what gear combos will work for you, plug in a spur and a pinion to see how you can get close to 4.0 with the 17.5 motor.

This rule will be GREATLY built on the honor system, and while it is not infallible, it should keep the playing field pretty level. All cars need not be teched for this FDR, but 17.5 cars with obviously too much speed can be systematically checked, as needed.

There are two files attached, both are essentially identical. One is a straightforward Excel .xls file in a ZIPPED archive, and the other is a generic .xml file that should work in any spreadsheet reader, including older versions of Excel.

The XLS format in a ZIP file is now also available on the website in the Rules section.

doug

I'm a bit confused regarding the 17.5 FDR.

I currently run an S400 with a 96s and 41p. It's blazin' fast in TC 13.5/6 cell. With your spreadsheet, I can go up to a 53p using the same spur before I break the 4.0 FDR. I have a 17.5 on the way. Even with a 17.5/4 cell package, I can't see how this setup isn't going to be very fast.

Is the FDR max 4.0, or is 4.0 the minimum? Either way, I've never geared that tall. Am I missing something?

Allan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.