Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #13276
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsuicide View Post
I just received a HPI Sprint 2 (like the one in picture below) for Christmas. I believe that the body and the wheels are the same as Vintage Trans Am. If I want to start racing in the Vintage Trans Am race, can I use my HPI Sprint 2? Thanks, Ross.
Attachment 859722
As mentioned, you'll need to add the 25.5 system, but the Sprint 2 can be a good VTA ride. I installed a Novak Edge/Ballistic 25.5 system in a Sprint 2 as a demo car for the LHS here. It takes a bit of thinking and head-scratching, but I could do the next one pretty easily. pm me when you get your brushless system and I'll walk you through the install.

Scottrik

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #13277
Tech Master

As far as the endbells I think we all agree that it does not increase the performance of the motor and you're not at a disadvantage if you don't have them. As far as detering the new guys because they think they need parts to keep up, what about all that aluminium many of us have? It costs a lot more but its not necessary and in many cases it does increase performance. Should we not allow cooling fans either? Maybe a couple of burned up motors would encourage new guys to join the class. I can run my 25.5 ballistic at a 4.0 FDR and it will be 160 degrees at our track on a summer day. If the only thing it does is provide more protection to keep the motor cool, let people use them. If its that big of a deal perhaps a specific chassis built a certain way and a specific battery should be used. Maybe even spec a servo. Dont want a car to have a steering advantage.

There are things that should be debated. Rotors, bearings, etc. This one shouldn't matter.

All this over cooling off a motor. Let people use them if they want Personally I would rather have a new set of tires.

Speaking of bearings can we get the rules updated to show if ceramic bearings are legal or not? Being a dork does not clarify if they can be used.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #13278
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default VTA racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
We set a new track record for VTA attendance this last Saturday with 16 VTA racers! Overall we had a total of 80 entries, with 37 onroad entries and 43 off-road entries. It was a good weekend.

Here's a YouTube video of the VTA A-Main --> http://youtu.be/7q5pHAAQJyA
Awesome video! We had similar numbers, about 50% on road. Our track looks about the same size as yours. I'm not sure if ours was a record, but there were definately a lot of racers. Our pit area has over 40 spaces and we are building new ones this weekend. Trying to make everyone as comfortable as we can.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #13279
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #13280
Tech Fanatic

Where should I set the motor timing with the SP esc and ballistic motor ??
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #13281
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Speaking of bearings can we get the rules updated to show if ceramic bearings are legal or not? Being a dork does not clarify if they can be used.
When the ceramic bearing discussion went on, oh, about 100 to 200 pages ago, it was finally determined that Ceramic bearings are legal but RobK stated that if you use them, you are a Dork (perform a search in this thread for ceramic and you should find the discussion).
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #13282
Tech Champion

Default motor upgrades...

if you want to run ceramics and vented endbells...go for it..Im sure some already do...I dont, and I beat plenty that do...does it matter?...No, do I care?...No....Ive had guys cut the end bells way before Novak began to sale them..2+ years ago...did it help?..NO...

point being we have Thunder Jam #4 coming at the end of the month...Snowbirds Nats, and the USVTA Scale Champs coming soon...

do we really think that a bearing or endbell is on anybody mind?...No again...

all jokes aside....if you want those little upgrades and it makes you feel better, go for it...but dont go crying cause the Batt beat you with his TC3 Goose and reman 25.5 SS...
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #13283
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
When the ceramic bearing discussion went on, oh, about 100 to 200 pages ago, it was finally determined that Ceramic bearings are legal but RobK stated that if you use them, you are a Dork (perform a search in this thread for ceramic and you should find the discussion).
Never mind, search don't work in this busted thread. Hey I made a funny
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #13284
Tech Champion

BTW...we finally got USVTA

at the largest RC race in the world, Snowbirds Nationals...how many USVTA racers are going....at least 3 from my track out of Nashville/Thunder RC Raceway, home of the

2012 USVTA+ Southern Nationals in Music City, USA, coming Sept 2012

where you at USVTA racers?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #13285
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What FDR for Novak 25.5?

I did search for the answer to this question but there is just to many threads to sift thru.

What final drive ratio's are you guys running with the novak 25.5 in your VTA cars? I will be running on carpet. Tight track.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #13286
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBull View Post
I did search for the answer to this question but there is just to many threads to sift thru.

What final drive ratio's are you guys running with the novak 25.5 in your VTA cars? I will be running on carpet. Tight track.
Always go with a 4.0 FDR to start with. Measure your motor temp after 20 laps. If your motor temp is under 160 Fahrenheit, then you can afford to go with a larger pinion gear to get more speed. Always monitor your motor temp because if it goes over 170 Fahrenheit you will damage your motor.

That's my $0.02.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #13287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsuicide View Post
Always go with a 4.0 FDR to start with. Measure your motor temp after 20 laps. If your motor temp is under 160 Fahrenheit, then you can afford to go with a larger pinion gear to get more speed. Always monitor your motor temp because if it goes over 170 Fahrenheit you will damage your motor.

That's my $0.02.
Sounds about right although the comment about gearing for more speed needs some clarification. Start with the 4.0. After you run it and check temps, change gearing based on YOUR driving style and the TRACK LAYOUT. For instance: on our tight, technical layouts I don't have the best speed on the 1 major straight BUT once I'm in the twisty sections and due to my driving style I make up alot of time therefore I won't gear my car for more top end speed,which takes away from acceleration speed. I think you'll find most people commenting that typical motor temps will be under 135 so you've got quite a bit of room to play with gearing.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #13288
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

An ENORMOUS Thank You to whomever fixed the thread! Dang it! Right after I posted it messed up again!

Does anyone know where there are some tires in stock? I'm trying to get a few new folks into this class and so far haven't had any luck.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQMhKKcaJPscYOrsPz8x-lw?view_as=subscriber
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #13289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
An ENORMOUS Thank You to whomever fixed the thread! Dang it! Right after I posted it messed up again!

Does anyone know where there are some tires in stock? I'm trying to get a few new folks into this class and so far haven't had any luck.
I'm sorry but I can't give away the identity of my tire dealer
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #13290
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0
Closed Thread