Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #13036
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayh50 View Post
I am happy for you, and wish I had the day you had. Yesterday I had probably the worst day ever racing VTA and T/C. I think I hit every wall and other racer at least once until I broke both cars in their respective races, another week or two of racing that bad and I will quit. I am so disgusted with my driving right now!
Dude, truly hoping you're not serious. Don't know how long you've been racing but we've ALL been there and done that. In fact, we still have those kind of days where nothing seems to be working. It ALL takes time. You'll get it together and have some great races and they'll make up for all the crap days you have. Keep driving, keep having fun.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #13037
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Bad day

I know, I wont quit. But I sure didnt have a very good time yesterday. I had worked all day ran to the track, there were 75 racers, and it was after midnight when we finished. All in all it wasnt that bad I guess. I did start in a new class. Its the vintage oval class, you run a pan car chassis, any motor/esc combo, and vintage body, you just cant go faster than 6 seconds in a lap. Our track is about 84x42. It was fun.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #13038
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

75 RACERS!!!!!....

you have nothing to feel bad about...there are many...and I mean MANY tracks on the verge of closing down due to no or little support, and you guys are rocking 75?...dude take a deep breath and enjoy your track no matter how shitty your raceday was...

where you racing...?
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #13039
Tech Adept

Default bad day

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
75 RACERS!!!!!....

you have nothing to feel bad about...there are many...and I mean MANY tracks on the verge of closing down due to no or little support, and you guys are rocking 75?...dude take a deep breath and enjoy your track no matter how shitty your raceday was...

where you racing...?
I race in Parkersburg WV, with Ohio Valley Remote Control Car Club (OVRCCC). I would say we average 50 to 65 racers every week. We usually run 9 classes if there are enough racers for a class. VTA, 17.5 TC, 1/10 LATE MODEL, 1/10 SPRINT CAR, CORR TRUCK, SPORTSMAN OVAL, SHORT COURSE BUGGY, 1/16 REVO, VINTAGE OVAL, AND A POWDER PUFF CLASS IF THERE IS ENOUGH GIRLS THAT WANT TO PARTICIPATE. I guess thats more than 9 classes but there usually isnt enough racers for all classes. Speedy Bills RC Shop is a huge supporter of the track and a good friend. He really has helped a lot of racers and has kept things pointed in the right direction. If your ever in the area, look us up. We are on the web under OVRCCC.COM
Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #13040
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just raced my yokomo BD that I converted to a USVTA car and I have to say that was some of the most fun I've had in a long time! It seemed like every corner of the track me and the guy that finished 2nd were battling back and forth! There were people standing around the track cheering and clapping for 8 minutes! AWESOME CLASS........
Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #13041
Tech Champion

We had another fun VTA race. They let a couple kids run their dad's touring cars along with us. Very challenging to dodge those...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQMhKKcaJPscYOrsPz8x-lw?view_as=subscriber
Old 12-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #13042
Tech Adept

Default tire question

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
We had another fun VTA race. They let a couple kids run their dad's touring cars along with us. Very challenging to dodge those...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
How long do your tires last running on asphalt?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #13043
Tech Champion

Quote:
How long do your tires last running on asphalt?
I ran it on another asphalt track before, prolly about 4 races worth. It seems like that first track surface was more abrasive. I burned up two sets of regular touring tires in that time. Then I started racing at the track in the video about 3 months ago(two races per month). My front tires are worn, but you can still see tread. The rears have hardly any wear at all. The touring tires I bought(different brand, but similar compound) also hardly wear on this surface. So it really depends on the surface you're running on. The asphalt in the video was recently sealed(I don't know how long ago) but other than some small cracks, its in really good shape.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #13044
Tech Master

Quote:
I am happy for you, and wish I had the day you had. Yesterday I had probably the worst day ever racing VTA and T/C. I think I hit every wall and other racer at least once until I broke both cars in their respective races, another week or two of racing that bad and I will quit. I am so disgusted with my driving right now!
I feel your pain. I really try hard to be clean, stay off of the walls and patiently wait to make a clean pass but Saturday it seems like I hit every other driver on the track. So much that I almost pulled out of the race due to frustration. Guess I was being really hard on myself but it was a very frustrating night. Time to take a couple of weeks off to blow off the night and get back to some great fun in January.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #13045
Tech Champion

The best advice to give someone having a crappy night... "Slow Down" Don't try to be fast, just try to put the car in the right place and be consistent.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #13046
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
I ran it on another asphalt track before, prolly about 4 races worth. It seems like that first track surface was more abrasive. I burned up two sets of regular touring tires in that time. Then I started racing at the track in the video about 3 months ago(two races per month). My front tires are worn, but you can still see tread. The rears have hardly any wear at all. The touring tires I bought(different brand, but similar compound) also hardly wear on this surface. So it really depends on the surface you're running on. The asphalt in the video was recently sealed(I don't know how long ago) but other than some small cracks, its in really good shape.
Our track is an outdoor asphalt track as well. It was sealed at the beginning of this year. We are getting approx. 2 hours of run time on our tires before they are completely gone. The usvta rules state that you have to run the d-compound vintage tires, but say nothing about how bald they can be. This might be something they need to address. I think the tires should have at least some of the tread pattern left on them to be legal for use...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #13047
Tech Champion

Well, if On Road had a larger following, then I can see a draconian rule like that flying. Sadly, On Road has been largely dead for several years. If we tell the racers and noobs; despite the fact this is used as a beginner class, that they needed new tires just as soon as they don't look "Scale"... we'd lose our race program.

Now if you're talking about a big race with some overseer determined to keep these things looking a certain way, then that may fly. But at club level, in this economy... I'm gonna run these tires till I see the foam come through. I've noticed no discernible difference since the tread started to disappear. So at least at our track, it's merely cosmetic.

The hard compound and non-aerodynamic bodies, coupled with crawler motors have made the cars slow and crappy enough. Its like Short Course; same basic principal. Make it slow and drive like a butter knife cuts leather, and have it look like something full scale. That way, as they develop skills and interest, they can move on to the faster and more competitive classes.

VTA is a nice first step into on road racing. It has very strict rules to limit things and keep the cars approachable to new drivers. Let's not chase anyone off. Its a fun race, not a judged concourse show.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #13048
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow ! I can't tell if that commentary was a promotion for VTA or a slap upside the head !
VTA is far more than JUST a nice first step. It's a great program for anyone of any skill level who simply enjoys a program with less of the hardcore, high speed, high cost mentality AND actually appreciates the vintage race car look.
As for ill handling cars, I'll be glad to pit my Schumacher MI4LP up against anything currently being driven in any class. But I don't know if it fits your criteria as I only paid $150 for it.
As for the rules, they were designed to keep costs reasonable but more importantly to provide a great standard for ALL skill levels, take the emphasis away from electronics and concentrate on driving.
No offense meant but your description clearly misses the goal and effort of VTA.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #13049
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrobel View Post
Our track is an outdoor asphalt track as well. It was sealed at the beginning of this year. We are getting approx. 2 hours of run time on our tires before they are completely gone. The usvta rules state that you have to run the d-compound vintage tires, but say nothing about how bald they can be. This might be something they need to address. I think the tires should have at least some of the tread pattern left on them to be legal for use...
Read pages 837 through 839. We just had this discussion a little over a month ago. The general consensus is that worn out (bald) tires perform worse than new ones, so the only advantage to running a worn out tire is the cost savings of not having to buy new ones. That's no reason to enforce a tire tread rule.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #13050
Tech Initiate

Both Evo and Beemer make good points. When we run old bald tires on our track, lap times fall off horribly. As for the even racing, we have a fairly small track, but when we run 6 or more cars everyone finishes within 2-3 laps, but the hardcore guys want a max of 4 cars, then the top 4 cars have a 6-8 lap spread.
BTW we "Canadian VTA" 21.5 fixed gearing, next night out, I'm going to run my 25.5 against their 21.5s.
Closed Thread