R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #12856

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default lipos

what is the rule on lipos and can i run the new short 2s lipo in this class???
Old 11-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #12857
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by =FLIP= View Post
Hi here in australia we are having a vta enduro race in a few weeks only problem is tires
where can we purchase the 26mm fron tires and 31 rear???????????????? seems all online shops have no stock and ebay has not many left .
I found some HERE and HERE
Old 11-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #12858
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Tower has the fronts.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...tage&search=Go

RC Shack has both.
http://www.thercshack.com/hpi4793vin...-compound.aspx
http://www.thercshack.com/hpi4793vin...ompound-1.aspx

Hobby People has the fronts.

http://hobbypeople.net/hpi-vintage-r...-compound.html

There are other web sites that show them, but they don't tell if they are in stock and there is also Ebay.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #12859
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
As far as the capacity limit, it's possible that may be changed in the future. Right now, we're going to stand on what we have however.
I race sportsman spec truck on carpet (1s, 17.5 no timing, spec tires) and I see a similar problem. We have a 5000 MAH limit in that class too, but the battery vendors continue to creep the 1c sizes larger and larger. I know the folks at Thunder Power wanted to discontinue the 5000 size once they introduced the 5600 because sales of the smaller capacities dropped to almost zero (the only people buying them are running the spec class, and we don't buy very many).

While it's not a problem now in 2c, I suspect it will be at some time in the future. I would politely suggest that when it does, the capacity limit be lowered so it forced racers to run batteries in the sub 4000 range.

Then again, I may be imagining things that don't/never will exist because vendors must sell an exponentially larger number of 2s batteries compared to 1c.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
Old 11-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #12860
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wouldn't a lower capacity force people to add weight to make the minimum? Do you want to tell a noob he not only has to buy a specific battery, but also has to add weight to it?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQMhKKcaJPscYOrsPz8x-lw?view_as=subscriber
Old 11-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #12861
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Wouldn't a lower capacity force people to add weight to make the minimum? Do you want to tell a noob he not only has to buy a specific battery, but also has to add weight to it?
Well...

First, I had to add almost 100 grams to my car to make legal weight, and I have an antique sedan with all steel screws, so I don't see that being any different.

Second, we already are telling noob's they have to run a specific battery. If somebody buys the wrong battery (anything bigger than a 5000) from the hobby shop, what's the difference?

I suggested that the powers that be think about decreasing the battery capacity if they choose to change it. If the object is to run older, but no longer state of the art, carpet gear then the capacity needs to go up at some point, but it doesn't have to increase to keep it in the spirt of the rules.

I'm going to run the class either way.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #12862
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

my two cents.

decreasing the battery capacity will make it that much harder to find batteries to run VTA. it won't be too long before nobody is making sub-5000mah stuff as there just won't be a market for it.

so, my suggestion would be to open the rules to any 2S lipo. we've already established there is no advantage to running a higher-C, higher-mAh lipo; and they are going to be easier and easier to get...so why set the barrier for entry higher than it needs to be?
VTA, 1/10 nitro, touring, USGT, F1, and more!
www.speedworldraceway.com
Old 11-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #12863
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashdriver View Post
my two cents.

decreasing the battery capacity will make it that much harder to find batteries to run VTA. it won't be too long before nobody is making sub-5000mah stuff as there just won't be a market for it.

so, my suggestion would be to open the rules to any 2S lipo. we've already established there is no advantage to running a higher-C, higher-mAh lipo; and they are going to be easier and easier to get...so why set the barrier for entry higher than it needs to be?
My thoughts exactly. It doesnt make sense to limit anything but voltage on the batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQMhKKcaJPscYOrsPz8x-lw?view_as=subscriber
Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #12864

Default need help

i got an hpi sprint 2 sport with all the graphite chassis and towers, ball diff. i need the right cvds for the front an the rear, the rear is different than the front. i need the correct front cvds for my car, thats all i need for the chassis. i will be run a novak system. and a shorty 2s lipo unless u guys know of a very thin 2s lipo to run cause of the belt clearance.

please help!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #12865
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashdriver View Post
my two cents.

I think that's a reasonable position too.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #12866

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77 View Post
i got an hpi sprint 2 sport with all the graphite chassis and towers, ball diff. i need the right cvds for the front an the rear, the rear is different than the front. i need the correct front cvds for my car, thats all i need for the chassis. i will be run a novak system. and a shorty 2s lipo unless u guys know of a very thin 2s lipo to run cause of the belt clearance.

please help!!!!!!!!
help me!!!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #12867
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
help me!!!!!
To my knowledge the Sprint 2 was made for saddle packs. You can get those in 2s Lipo just about anywhere.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #12868
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:

please help!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
To my knowledge the Sprint 2 was made for saddle packs. You can get those in 2s Lipo just about anywhere.
If you're hoping for someone to sell you parts (cvd's, etc) your best bet is to post in the "wanted to buy" section.

I was not aware that the cvd's are different front-rear, but that's certainly not unheard of with HPI. The MT2 has marginally different cvd's front and rear.

As far as battery, the Sprint "vintage" Camaro I set up as a demo for our hobby shop it takes a standard 2-cell pack (I've been using an old Orion Carbon 3200) and I've not noticed the belts interfering. The belts DO seem to rub on the motor, but it's more a graze than "rub" and after two race days doesn't seem to be having any effect.

The motor installs in these cars without modifying the aluminum plates (as someone previously mentioned) but it goes in exactly ONE way. If you look at the uprights that support the top plate that are immediately ahead of the motor you'll see that the one on the motor side has a mounting boss that nothing screws into. This same boss on the other side carries the lower front of the motor mounting plate. Pull that upright out and cut that boss off flush with the posts.

Then bend the taps from the motor straight back bending down as close to the endbell side as possible AND making damn sure you make the bends parallel to keep the tabs from touching. Feed the motor in and mount it with the now bent tabs pointing straight forward, solder it up and install the sensor harness.

I installed a 100t spur and 53t pinion (64pitch) to give right at 4.0 FDR and threw a basic touring car alignment on it. The car has run with the factory radio, servo, etc. Handling is EXCELLENT, top speed is a little light but PLENTY fast enough for the rookies that have been driving it. If I was going to race it myself I'd go larger on the pinion a couple steps and see where I got.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 11-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #12869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
If you're hoping for someone to sell you parts (cvd's, etc) your best bet is to post in the "wanted to buy" section.

I was not aware that the cvd's are different front-rear, but that's certainly not unheard of with HPI. The MT2 has marginally different cvd's front and rear.

As far as battery, the Sprint "vintage" Camaro I set up as a demo for our hobby shop it takes a standard 2-cell pack (I've been using an old Orion Carbon 3200) and I've not noticed the belts interfering. The belts DO seem to rub on the motor, but it's more a graze than "rub" and after two race days doesn't seem to be having any effect.

The motor installs in these cars without modifying the aluminum plates (as someone previously mentioned) but it goes in exactly ONE way. If you look at the uprights that support the top plate that are immediately ahead of the motor you'll see that the one on the motor side has a mounting boss that nothing screws into. This same boss on the other side carries the lower front of the motor mounting plate. Pull that upright out and cut that boss off flush with the posts.

Then bend the taps from the motor straight back bending down as close to the endbell side as possible AND making damn sure you make the bends parallel to keep the tabs from touching. Feed the motor in and mount it with the now bent tabs pointing straight forward, solder it up and install the sensor harness.

I installed a 100t spur and 53t pinion (64pitch) to give right at 4.0 FDR and threw a basic touring car alignment on it. The car has run with the factory radio, servo, etc. Handling is EXCELLENT, top speed is a little light but PLENTY fast enough for the rookies that have been driving it. If I was going to race it myself I'd go larger on the pinion a couple steps and see where I got.
i was tring to see if anyone has ran in to the cvd problem befor.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:09 AM   #12870
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Anyone else run a xray t3 10 or 11 for vta car? I am ordering new wheels,rubber and i see that hpi has different offsets. I wanted to know which offsets to order and still stay legal? I also wanted know if it would help the car at all or should i stick with the 0 offsets?