R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #12796
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)
Questions?? How can we get a VTA Class at 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals

Hey Guys, I have a question for all of you. The 2012 ROAR On-Road Carpet Nationals are going to be held at my LHS on Spring Break, March 15-18, 2012. The planners have not solidified all of the classes for the race just yet. Since I am only involved in VTA racing, I would like to see a VTA Class offered at the ROAR Nats. Now depending on who you ask, some people say that there will never be a VTA class at the Nats., and others say that if enough interest is there then there may be a VTA class at the ROAR Nats. So how does a ROAR Planning Committee Member go about gauging interest for a VTA class to determine if there will be VTA offered at the Nats., or not?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #12797
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The Roar guidelines for a national have mandatory classes which must be run, and the track gets a say on an optional class..they have been having a 7th class in a lot of cases.

1.2.3. Required classes are in bold as they are IFMAR classes. The other classes listed are
highly recommended.
1/12th Stock
1/12th Super Stock
1/12th Modified
1/10th Stock
1/10th Super Stock
1/10th Modified

12.2.3 A recommended maximum of six classes may be offered at any single National
event. These classes must be applied for by the Host Club in their bid for the
event, and must be published on all advertising, and on the event entry form.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #12798
Tech Elite

Questions??

Robk, does this mean that a ROAR On-Road Carpet Nats. event is more than likely not going to have a VTA class?

Last edited by wwddww34; 11-16-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #12799
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Robk, does this mean that a ROAR On-Road Carpet Nats. event is more than likely not going to have a VTA class?
it may or may not - if the host track wants to offer it as an optional/exhibition class, then ROAR will allow it...if not, then there won't be a class

VTA is not a permanent class at ROAR nationals...matter of fact, its only been offered at 2 nationals - with Jackson, NJ being the most recent

also remember, ROAR specs for VTA is different then that of USVTA
Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #12800
Tech Elite

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
it may or may not - if the host track wants to offer it as an optional/exhibition class, then ROAR will allow it.
Ahh, so there is a chance that VTA could be offered as an optional/exhibition class at the 2012 ROAR Nationals if the host track is willing to do it.

Last edited by wwddww34; 11-16-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #12801
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Ahh, so there is a chance that VTA could be offered as an optional/exhibition class at the 2012 ROAR Nationals if the host track is willing to do it.
David,

We will need to talk to Mike and Andrew as a group (All of the local VTA drivers) about a VTA class since it is an exhibition class. Also see if Mike can get a hold of Gary O Brien (our region 9 ROAR rep) to see what is necessary for adding an Exhibition class to a Nationals race. Hopefully ROAR will add 25.5 with no FDR to the current motor and battery rule set (allow both 21.5 with a 4.2-4.6 FDR & 25.5 with no FDR limit at level 3, 4, & 5 events). Otherwise I see a Trinity D3 21.5 in my future (will be mainly for a USGT fun car but will go into my VTA for ROAR rule VTA events only). And remember "NO Sharpies"!
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
Old 11-19-2011, 02:22 AM   #12802
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
Hopefully ROAR will add 25.5 with no FDR to the current motor and battery rule set (allow both 21.5 with a 4.2-4.6 FDR & 25.5 with no FDR limit at level 3, 4, & 5 events). Otherwise I see a Trinity D3 21.5 in my future (will be mainly for a USGT fun car but will go into my VTA for ROAR rule VTA events only). And remember "NO Sharpies"!
If a racer can have a VTA car and a USGT car using the same kind of chassis, or at least something with the same post hole locations, then it would become fairly easy to just swap your VTA wheels and body to your USGT ride for running ROAR VTA. Unless I am overlooking something. I guess its not that big of a deal to just keep the extra motor in the box, but if you run USGT then you will already be comfortable with your gearing and setup for that motor.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #12803
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
If a racer can have a VTA car and a USGT car using the same kind of chassis, or at least something with the same post hole locations, then it would become fairly easy to just swap your VTA wheels and body to your USGT ride for running ROAR VTA. Unless I am overlooking something. I guess its not that big of a deal to just keep the extra motor in the box, but if you run USGT then you will already be comfortable with your gearing and setup for that motor.
The plan right now is to pick up another T2 007 for parts compatibility and set it up for USGT just for fun (we are not running USGT at our local track at this time). I plan on getting a EU spec car to go with the US spec car I currently have and use them interchangeably depending on the track I am running at. If that does not pan out, I just may pick up an Exotek XR07 Lipo chassis for my VTA car and swap motors depending on the race I am running at (I will usually only run one class at a race).
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
Old 11-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #12804
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Here's a pic of the top 9 from the VTA Race during the 5th Annual Fall Classic at Mike's Hobby Shop on Nov. 13, 2011.
Hay I know those guys . Lol wonder who won? Lol
Old 11-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #12805
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
The plan right now is to pick up another T2 007 for parts compatibility and set it up for USGT just for fun (we are not running USGT at our local track at this time). I plan on getting a EU spec car to go with the US spec car I currently have and use them interchangeably depending on the track I am running at. If that does not pan out, I just may pick up an Exotek XR07 Lipo chassis for my VTA car and swap motors depending on the race I am running at (I will usually only run one class at a race).
Our local track is 80%VTA with a little left over for some TC and F1. I have a handful of people that would start USGT here if we could do it. So far the only time I can get enough for a heat is with larger races that call for out of towners.

I never understood the differrences between the US and EU spec. Is the US better on carpet?
Old 11-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #12806
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I never understood the differrences between the US and EU spec. Is the US better on carpet?
The US spec was designed for foam tires. It has a thicker chassis than the EU, and has two ball diffs instead a diff and a spool. Usually harder arms as well.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #12807
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Hay I know those guys . Lol wonder who won? Lol
LOL Congratulations Justin. Hope you make it to the warm up race for the Carpet Nationals in late January/early February.
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #12808
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
The US spec was designed for foam tires. It has a thicker chassis than the EU, and has two ball diffs instead a diff and a spool. Usually harder arms as well.
See I'm running VTA on Asphalt so I would want the thinner plate, but I would want the spool and diff.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #12809
Tech Fanatic

I hope that someone from USVTA is on this thread and can help me clear up something.

Tonight I went to our local rc track and someone showed up racing with either a Pegasus or HPI 1970 Mustang body with a large touring car wing on the back. I didn't get close enough to it to confirm which brand of body it was. I pointed out to one of the racers that the wing was illegal according to USVTA rules. I was told that since it came with the body that it is legal.

Who is right? The way I read the rules, only decklid spoilers and scale wings are allowed. The wing on this body was NOT scale!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #12810
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The HPI comes with a deck spoiler and a wing, but only the deck spoiler is legal.

"Body provided deck lid spoilers allowed (not wings)."
Closed Thread