R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #12586
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
how was your VTA racing this weekend?....

hope aome of you are getting ready for the SEVTA Champs...Oct 29th
We had our second USVTA running at the Carolina R/C Complex in Easley SC this past Saturday. Four local cars and 3 guests from Georgia made for another great day of USVTA racing!

Here's a video taken by my 8-year-old daughter. She's not ready to start making Hollywood films...you've been warned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTEbDG0LH9o

Each time we're out there people are spectating and getting interested in USVTA. The guys in the shop told me that a couple more people have ordered 25.5 setups

We have a week off, then we're back on the track Saturday Oct 22 2011 for our first "official" USVTA race.

For the event at Battlefield Oct 29, I've already arranged to carpool with a couple guys near me in Georgia. I'll be there!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #12587
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Without a timing advance, you would be at an disadvantage anyways, just save up for a little more and get what you want...
Not necessarily. A stock ss will beat an advanced Ballistic when set up is right
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #12588
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
Not necessarily. A stock ss will beat an advanced Ballistic when set up is right
I've never seen a ballistic beat an SS. I know there was a big difference when I moved from the SS to the ballistic.... Save up your money just get a ballistic...

JG
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #12589
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Without a timing advance, you would be at an disadvantage anyways, just save up for a little more and get what you want...
You can advance timing on an SS, there is just no pretty sticker and timing mark. The SS motors are set at 30* from the factory, the same timing position as the Ballistics. So before you start adjusting the timing, you need to scribe the endbell and back cover to mark the stock position. For a long time we all called it zero, but found out later about the 30* from factory setting. The hard part is determining how far back 0* is and how far forward 45* is without the sticker. I know there are posts somewhere that tell how many .Xmm/degree.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #12590
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
I've never seen a ballistic beat an SS. I know there was a big difference when I moved from the SS to the ballistic.... Save up your money just get a ballistic...

JG

So you are saying that the SS is faster but you recommend the ballistic. Can you give some specifics on this? We are just starting a VTA class and I have been asked a ton of questions about the motors. It would be nice to have some answers for them.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #12591
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
You can advance timing on an SS, there is just no pretty sticker and timing mark. The SS motors are set at 30* from the factory, the same timing position as the Ballistics. So before you start adjusting the timing, you need to scribe the endbell and back cover to mark the stock position. For a long time we all called it zero, but found out later about the 30* from factory setting. The hard part is determining how far back 0* is and how far forward 45* is without the sticker. I know there are posts somewhere that tell how many .Xmm/degree.
I think he said that backwards a ss won't beat a ballistic. but advantages otherwise for ballistic is rebuildable stator big deal there smoke on it's only 40 to fix yourself and detachable sensor wire if it goes bad and you can get more timing out of it within the rules. The SS only has a 12 degree swing in the adjustment from 30 to 42 you can't go lower then 30 or higer then 42 unless you disassemble it and dremel out the plastic to allow it to go futher like the oval guys did back before the ballsitic. ballsitic can go to 45+ depending on the track that you run at enforcing the rules.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #12592
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
I think he said that backwards a ss won't beat a ballistic. but advantages otherwise for ballistic is rebuildable stator big deal there smoke on it's only 40 to fix yourself and detachable sensor wire if it goes bad and you can get more timing out of it within the rules. The SS only has a 12 degree swing in the adjustment from 30 to 42 you can't go lower then 30 or higer then 42 unless you disassemble it and dremel out the plastic to allow it to go futher like the oval guys did back before the ballsitic. ballsitic can go to 45+ depending on the track that you run at enforcing the rules.
You're correct about the motor mods required. I don't think anyone at our track ever went under stock timing for VTA though, so we had the max 12* swing from 30* to 42* in the SS, which wasn't bad really. Again like you said, it depends on how much you need the extra motor timing advance. Short tracks, lots of infield and less timing. Longer straight, less technical infield and more timing. I usually set mine at about 35* and then geared for the track. 4.0 to 4.8 FDRs usually worked for me with the 21.5s.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #12593
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post

JG

Sorry guys I meant the ballistic is much faster than a SS.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #12594
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
This is correct. Thanks Robert. You want to buy a ballistic.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #12595
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my SS is just as fast or even faster than any Ballastic....and its a reman...lol..want to test it?
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 10-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #12596
Tech Elite

Quote:
my SS is just as fast or even faster than any Ballastic....and its a reman...lol..want to test it?
lol your exactly who i was thinking about when i posted it. But decided not to argue it, figured youd step up to the challenge soon enough lol
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 10-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #12597
Tech Elite

What is with everyone being out of high count 64p pinions? Trying to get my hands on some for some testing I want to do with my VTA car but everyone out of stock. Did VTA buy them all up? lol
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #12598
Tech Elite

HEY MONKEY! I have been digging around for all my 64 spurs. David and Dewayne are needing some as well. Last time I looked I had a bunch. I guess on the 22nd I should have most of them together so you guys can have them. I never liked 64 pitch anyway.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #12599
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
I did test it remember and it was close to my ballistic but not better then my ballistic on the dyno.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #12600
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrich View Post
HEY MONKEY! I have been digging around for all my 64 spurs. David and Dewayne are needing some as well. Last time I looked I had a bunch. I guess on the 22nd I should have most of them together so you guys can have them. I never liked 64 pitch anyway.
Im trying to get my hands on 47t-49t. Preferably 2 each if possible
Brooksphotodesign.net
Closed Thread