Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #12436
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

point of the matter is - and HPI calls them such

26mm front
31mm rear

do you really need to read into the rules THAT much to make Rob have to re-write the rules to tell us where tires go?? ummm, no

and as far as this comment Not everyone has a chassis for which those tires & wheels were intended. - the class is/was/will be forever intended for 4wd TC...not converted buggies, 4wd or not...

so if you are running TC, you DO have a can for which these tires were intended

I understand the question about the body stating 200mm, and looking at the tire sizes being 'funky' - but also, look at the offset...the rear rims are +6mm offset, specifically made to fit the wider rear ends of the vintage bodies...

if you're running an HPI body with the HPI wheels - everything will fit IF you are running a 190mm electric touring chassis, whether its a Tamiya TT01 or a Xray T3 2011

no need to read into it anymore..

man and I thought the speedo questions were can or worms...2 whole pages about this in about 2 hours...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #12437
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

May I ask...using 31mm tires up front...is that any benefit?

Or...running 26mm at rear....?

For USVTA...? Unless the race is going to be SLOW CAR to win event...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #12438
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
Not everyone has a chassis for which those tires & wheels were intended. And why do you say you're being insulted? That's ludicrous. Calling me a clown for making a worthwhile question? Now that's insulting. I don't care who you think you are or how many posts you have or even if you invented radio control FFS, but you come off like a jerk with your post.
They are designed for a specific purpose with specific shells and a variety of chassis that range from just under to just over 190mm in width. I can't see how you pushing the issue so that your tires can stick out from under the wheel wells by 5mm on each side can help. It's insulting to the engineers that made it for what it does for you to say, " No this fits better." The way I see it, you just won't take the advice the rest of us are giving you. Plus you are increasing your contact patch when compared to the rest of the field, and it will not look right.

I realize that I come off like a jerk. At least in my previous post, I can see that. I promise to be nice if I ever see you at the track. Here have a smiley.

I didn't invent RC. Just the RC sandwich.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #12439
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Really????
Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #12440
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&B RC View Post
Really????
Yeah but don't try it. Its worse than 31mm front VTA tires.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #12441
Tech Fanatic

Solara,

I would think that 31mm fronts with 26mm rears MIGHT work if you are looking for more front grip and steering, but would it compromise rear grip?

The only way to know for sure, is to try it.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #12442
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Put the body on backwards too. No aerodynamic benefit from the body in this class.

(sarcasm)
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #12443
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Some people just shouldnt be allowed to breed
Brooksphotodesign.net
Old 09-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #12444
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
If one is mostly concerned with duplicating the look and feel of cars from that era (and bearing in mind this isn't a current, mass-produced chassis that was intended for on-road driving), I think this car (with 31mm F & R) looks more like cars from that era than what I'm seeing on the tracks these days. Going with 26mm wheels & tires would probably look a bit dorky (to me, anyway).

I'm not too concerned one way or the other, I just wanted to know how the rules would be interpreted.
I'm still missing something here. What is this car built for anyways? It's not VTA legal according to how I read the rules "Four Wheel Drive touring car chassis only" so why are you concerned with what tires to run?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #12445
Tech Champion

well its over...the 2011 USVTA Southern Nationals in Music City,USA is behind us and we all need a pat on the back....you guys can thank me all you want, but the fact is, without the racers willing to come and race, the event doesnt happen. You guys are the reason the event was such a huge success, not me....

So from the bottom of my heart, thank you all so very much and I hope to see you all again real soon...

I would like to thank all the sponsors again, you made it a little easier on me with your donations and prizes

I would like to thank Robert Dirla for even allowing me to make this happen. He is a great guy and friend and as long as Im around and able, I will be there to help him and Thunder RC any way I can

I also need to thank Tim Moore, he is the reason for alot of what I do for VTA as well as with my family. I think of him as a good role model and friend. You do so much and never ask for an award, but you deserve so many and you should always consider yourself blessed, just by the way you touch peoples lives, incl mine and my family. thanks again

I would also like to thank the guys that put Thunder RC there to start with. Micheal Skeen,Chuck Moores, Billy Trask, Scott Fuller, Danny D, Chris Carter, and others. These are the guys that I met when I 1st came to TRC and showed me around the track. And they also do alot still to keep the doors open, on and off road

Congads to....Southern National winners

Jr VTA A-main winner and 2011 Jr VTA National Title holder and Champion Kody Fry

17.5 B-main winner Scott Fuller
17.5 A-main winner and 2011 17.5 TC National Champion Dave Johnson

USGT C-main winner Aaron Rivers
USGT B-main winner Eddie Fry
USGT A-main winner and 2011 USGT National Title holder and Champion RJ Whiteside

USVTA D-main winner Justin Oliver
USVTA C-main winner Josh Butt
USVTA B-main winner Raheen Demerst
USVTA A-main winner and 2011 USVTA National Title holder and Champion Dave Johnson

Congads to all of you and all the racers for making this event to remember, thanks

Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13171756182501
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-p1020100.jpg  
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #12446
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #12447
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

To be clear, my original question sprung from the product description on the HPI sebite state a 190mm car should use the wide offset wheels and tires to fit the body. The HPR website makes no mention about which tires are wide offset tires so a new to the class person like me walks in and interprets the 31mm 6mm offset wheels/tires to be the ones to purchase.

What I now understand, thanks to you that posted valuable info, is that both the 26 and 31 are wide offset wheels.

A special thank you for the piture of the 68 camero as that is the shell I intend to get and it looks awesome.

Thanks again to all.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #12448
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
To be clear, my original question sprung from the product description on the HPI sebite state a 190mm car should use the wide offset wheels and tires to fit the body. The HPR website makes no mention about which tires are wide offset tires so a new to the class person like me walks in and interprets the 31mm 6mm offset wheels/tires to be the ones to purchase.

What I now understand, thanks to you that posted valuable info, is that both the 26 and 31 are wide offset wheels.

A special thank you for the piture of the 68 camero as that is the shell I intend to get and it looks awesome.

Thanks again to all.
actually the 26mm rims are 0 offset and the 31mm rims are +6mm offset

just to add in a little more confusion for ya
Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #12449
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarivers View Post
I'm still missing something here. What is this car built for anyways? It's not VTA legal according to how I read the rules "Four Wheel Drive touring car chassis only" so why are you concerned with what tires to run?
What he has is a late 80's Turbo Optima that he is very proud of with all of the modifications he has made. None of which I care for, but he is very proud of them none the less. What I dont understand is why he wants to take a rare (By todays standards) Vintage 4WD buggy that he has heavily invested in and return that buggy to the abuse of the racing environment after all of the aluminum polishing he has put himself through. A hundred dollar Sakura zero S would far better suit the purpose, would wear the legal parts better and save his precious project. What has irritated me is the pressure on the National rule set for something he probably could have gotten away with at the club level. Now we have a rule change with language that shouldnt be necessary. Just use the tires like they are marked. Put the Optima back on the shelf and race it on Vintage Day and get yourself a touring car.

I am sorry that I have offended him. I have since eaten and rested so maybe I will not do so again soon.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #12450
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I am sorry that I have offended him. I have since eaten and rested so maybe I will not do so again soon.