Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #12421
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3inchesx View Post
31mm is only size allowed for the rear tires.

26mm is only size allowed for the front tires.

That is quoted for the purchase/obtaining of the correct tires...
Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #12422
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfish View Post
I agree with the replies to the question; it seems obvious enough, but I think he's looking for clarity, not assumption.

If the rules stated that 26mm front tires may only be used on the front of the car, and 31mm rear tires may only be used on the rear of the car, I think it would be clear for him.
It's a verbiage/semantic/interpretation thing.
The rules don't specifically state that you can't use a rear tire on the front of the car, and vice-versa. I think that's what he's getting at.

These are the things that make rules revisions and legal disclaimers
+1

Of course, they could include that with the "Spirit of VTA"

But, per se, it doesnt have a ruling against the use of 4 of the same size tires/wheels.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #12423
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I agree with the replies to the question; it seems obvious enough, but I think he's looking for clarity, not assumption.

If the rules stated that 26mm front tires may only be used on the front of the car, and 31mm rear tires may only be used on the rear of the car, I think it would be clear for him.
It's a verbiage/semantic/interpretation thing.
The rules don't specifically state that you can't use a rear tire on the front of the car, and vice-versa. I think that's what he's getting at.

These are the things that make rules revisions and legal disclaimers
Thanks Batfish, you're bang on. It seems we're going around in circles; we already know that 26mm are intended for use on fronts, 31mm on rears as that's what's meant to fit on VTA bodies & chassis'...but since 31mm wheels & tires are "allowed", it could be interpreted that they would also be allowed for use on the front of a vehicle. The "letter of the law" seems to be the only tires you should BUY are either the 26mm or 31mm vintage units from HPI.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #12424
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
Because the original question wasn't answered, I thought I'd ask again. Disregarding body width, is it allowable to run with 31mm wheels & tires in the front instead of 26mm? My highly-modded CYANide Turbo Optima has narrowed front track to allow 31mm tires to fit just perfectly inside the front wheel-wells of the Cuda body. Just wondering; thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Front tires are 26mm, rears are 31mm. They are designated "front" and "rear" since they are to be used as such.
Executive summary: NO. Fronts on the front, rears on the rear.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Old 09-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #12425
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Executive summary: NO. Fronts on the front, rears on the rear.
Designated by HPI as front or back...NOT by USVTA as to use on front or back.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #12426
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by off road god View Post
Designated by HPI as front or back...NOT by USVTA as to use on front or back.
But, with the rear rim offset on most bodies, they will rub the front wheel wells pretty badly. You may have to use shorter front arms. What about rolling resistance? What you might gain in contact patch might slow you down.

I would read more into what HPI designates as a front and rear tire. I believe it is part of the look and feel of the original cars. I don't think any TA car ever ran the same size all the way around. I was more like 7 or 8 wide fronts and 10 wide rears.

And Robk is the keeper of the rules.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #12427
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Oops, hello can of worms! I think it is a good discussion and in need of clarification.

my whole confusion started when I read this from the HPI website. It is a clip from the description stated on the 200mm body.

"This body is clear so you can paint it in your favorite colors. It fits 200mm touring cars and can also be used on 190mm touring cars with the use of wide offset wheels. Overspray film is included, as well as vinyl window masks to make painting quick and simple. An instruction sheet is included for the decals, and the body has dimple marks for body post drill locations."

The wide offset wheel is what got me thinking that one should use a 31mm tire up front for appearence sake and to fit the body. Are the wheels (the 26 and 31mm) both wide offset wheels. If in fact they are both wide offset than the 26 would seem appropriate and in fact fit the "spirit of the class" as most cars from that era had wider rear tires.

Back to the rules statement, it does seem a little open for interpretation on to what is allowed. I am all for the 26mm in front restriction as long as it doesn't make the car look dorky!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #12428
Tech Champion

And up a couple posts as a Quote: What Rob says, is. Period.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #12429
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
And up a couple posts as a Quote: What Rob says, is. Period.
Although you are correct in the 'spirit' of what you're saying, this is a good example of clarification.

Again, purely as a matter of semantics, what Rob says doesn't matter to a club racing by USVTA rules. Rob (or anyone else, for that matter) can sit around all day telling people what the rules are or should be. For the racers, it's what Rob actually puts in writing via revisions to the rules that will matter.

On that note - will the rules PDF be updated soon? The website has July revisions, but the PDF is from June.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #12430
Tech Champion

Quote:
Again, purely as a matter of semantics, what Rob says doesn't matter to a club racing by USVTA rules. Rob (or anyone else, for that matter) can sit around all day telling people what the rules are or should be. For the racers, it's what Rob actually puts in writing via revisions to the rules that will matter.
You hit the nail on the head there. At club level it doesn't matter. And yes, it does look like he'll have to clarify this one as some will argue that just because it says "rear", it doesn't necessarily mean rear placement. Same for the front. At our old track it was front to front and rear to rear. The obvious would be to put fronts all the way around for less rolling resistance. Traction was never an issue.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #12431
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
Back to the rules statement, it does seem a little open for interpretation on to what is allowed. I am all for the 26mm in front restriction as long as it doesn't make the car look dorky!
Just addressing the issue of dorkiness, I personally think most touring car chassis' end up looking dorky in the rear, even *with* 31mm wheels & tires, because the tires are too deep in the wheel-wells. They don't look like muscle cars ought to; they look like import car chassis' with muscle-car bodies stuck on top.

If one is mostly concerned with duplicating the look and feel of cars from that era (and bearing in mind this isn't a current, mass-produced chassis that was intended for on-road driving), I think this car (with 31mm F & R) looks more like cars from that era than what I'm seeing on the tracks these days. Going with 26mm wheels & tires would probably look a bit dorky (to me, anyway).

I'm not too concerned one way or the other, I just wanted to know how the rules would be interpreted.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-cudadone2.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #12432
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
Here is my 68 camaro with the 26mm up front and 31mm with 6mm offset on the rear. I think the wheels fit fine in the body. Oh and the car is a TC4.

Last edited by rcgerber; 09-27-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #12433
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I guess I am going to have to change the rules to specify which tire goes where. Expect to see this soon.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #12434
Tech Champion

I will tell you what looks dorky is a bunch of clowns pushing an issue that has little relevance to the other 99.9 of us just so that his car wont look dorky while in effect insulting the rest of us who use these wheels the way they are supposed to go and actually know how they fit and what we are talking about. Thanks for playing.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #12435
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I will tell you what looks dorky is a bunch of clowns pushing an issue that has little relevance to the other 99.9 of us just so that his car wont look dorky while in effect insulting the rest of us who use these wheels the way they are supposed to go and actually know how they fit and what we are talking about. Thanks for playing.
Not everyone has a chassis for which those tires & wheels were intended. And why do you say you're being insulted? That's ludicrous. Calling me a clown for making a worthwhile question? Now that's insulting. I don't care who you think you are or how many posts you have or even if you invented radio control FFS, but you come off like a jerk with your post.
Closed Thread