R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #11296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Kudos to you both !!! It's no where near as easy as some might think. Running a club or a track is NOT the ideal "if you build it they will come" situation. It's actually good you guy's had a moment. Talking it out, and sometimes yelling it out, serves a purpose as long as reality and rational thought eventually become the focus.

Really hope you guy's get it worked out. And just for support....I too have allowed people to "try" VTA with illegal cars. It's worth it as long as the conversations always stress that your going for total compliance.

A huge GOOD LUCK to both snoop and mxrich !!

BTW, don't know what classes you'll run or what skill level the majority of your drivers are but take a look at the I-Lap timing set up. It really works and is a HELLUVA lot less expensive than AMB. As for track...If you've never tried Road Rails, you'll never know the value. for VTA, Can motor and USGT.....it's perfect....especially if you have or plan to have alot of newbie drivers. Anything faster than 21.5 though...I'd go with something else.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #11297
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Egads! Road rails? I Kinda like 'em for what they do but around here it's two steps below devil worship for most racers. We hope the track will end up with 2 inch square pvc. Now that's the shizzle but it is not cheap. You will love this. We are still using the amb20 system here with the B&B autoscore. It has worked well for me and I am now having the transponders serviced and they will be back before the first race. I like simple. I have been at tracks with I-lap and it is a great program. I'm not sure if it will support amb20 but I will check.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #11298
Tech Rookie

Default AMB 20 Problem

Hi, Just saw where you are using the AMB 20 with B&B auto score. Our club just bought an AMB 20. I have been trying to get it to work with Laps Free and B&B Auto Score but I keep getting "NO COM PORT FOUND during setup. Our computer is a Pentium 4 with Windows XP. I have tried the 232 serial cable and a serial to USB adapter with the same results. Can you help me with this problem? Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #11299
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrich View Post
Egads! Road rails? I Kinda like 'em for what they do but around here it's two steps below devil worship for most racers. We hope the track will end up with 2 inch square pvc. Now that's the shizzle but it is not cheap. You will love this. We are still using the amb20 system here with the B&B autoscore. It has worked well for me and I am now having the transponders serviced and they will be back before the first race. I like simple. I have been at tracks with I-lap and it is a great program. I'm not sure if it will support amb20 but I will check.
Yeah....I know. Works for some but not for others. Sadly, most of the folks who tried them were running TC classes and the fact is they just aren't good for higher speeds of 27t,19t or, God forbid, mod class. They've worked well for us over the years and we combine them with 2in pvc outer barrier and run some pvc inner sections where they T off the outer perimeter.
If I had the money....the track that Calandra offers would be my choice. Same one they used at the Snowbirds.
FYI, I-Lap will not support AMB.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #11300
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulem4 View Post
Hi, Just saw where you are using the AMB 20 with B&B auto score. Our club just bought an AMB 20. I have been trying to get it to work with Laps Free and B&B Auto Score but I keep getting "NO COM PORT FOUND during setup. Our computer is a Pentium 4 with Windows XP. I have tried the 232 serial cable and a serial to USB adapter with the same results. Can you help me with this problem? Thanks
Does yours have a USB port on the AMB unit? Our does so that's what we use with the B&B software.

Now you may have to try different brands of Serial to USB adapters as we have found that some work and some dont for different data.

I like the Belkin ones that you can get on ebay (as they are no longer made to the same spec)

Also the Datatech is good too but hard to find
Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #11301
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Maulem4 - We've used Autoscore for years and we like it because of it's simplicity. When we have trouble we email B & B software with our questions, because we know very little about computers.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #11302
Tech Rookie

Default AMB 20

Our AMB 20 does not have a USB Port. We are waiting for info from B&B
Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #11303
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anyone have a good setup for a TC3 and a TC4 running on asphalt? Or at least a good place to start with springs and oil? Or basically anything that works good over the stock setup?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #11304
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SiX View Post
Anyone have a good setup for a TC3 and a TC4 running on asphalt? Or at least a good place to start with springs and oil? Or basically anything that works good over the stock setup?
I always ran 35wt oil, green front, silver rear on the springs.
Try 4* castor blocks if you're running a front diff.
I liked running the upper links long and high.
I also ran the chassis high, especially on low grip surfaces. Let the suspension do the work since the D-compound tires don't offer a lot of grip compard to other compounds.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #11305
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulem4 View Post
I have mine on an older laptop that has been dumped to run only the files to start the computer and run the b&b only. I am going to mirror the hard drive and save it to another used laptop (the cheaper the better) for just in case. Try www.transponderservices.com . They have a list of other programs from around the world which may help. If not ask the owner of the company since has been at this for a while. He may be able to direct you to some help on that. But he only repairs transponders.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #11306
Tech Elite

Hey, anybody know the availability of the HPI 66 Mustang Coupe body ?? Amazed there's none on Ebay for sale.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #11307
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Try RC Hobbies 4 Life.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #11308
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
I always ran 35wt oil, green front, silver rear on the springs.
Try 4* castor blocks if you're running a front diff.
I liked running the upper links long and high.
I also ran the chassis high, especially on low grip surfaces. Let the suspension do the work since the D-compound tires don't offer a lot of grip compard to other compounds.
What do you mean by running the "chassis high." Sorry I'm a noob to RC racing, and a total noob to TC. Just when I got started to get the hang of setting up a 2wd off road truck I jumped into the on road thing and it's a totally different ball game.

I think our track would be considered high traction as all the people that run other tracks go on and on about how awesome this track is.

What about sway bars? My TC5 was loose as hell until I put the bars on, but it's a whole lot faster running boosted 17.5.

I'm really worried about setting up my dad's car as I want him to get a "easy to drive" setup over a "fast" setup, so that he can have fun while learning and as he progresses we can get him setup to start spinning some faster laps.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #11309
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Xxxmain has a book that's like a Bible of TC setup. Xray also has some info on their website about the best things to try depending on what handling trait you are trying to neutralize.
I think there is even an iPhone app that tells you what to try.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #11310
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Xxxmain has a book that's like a Bible of TC setup. Xray also has some info on their website about the best things to try depending on what handling trait you are trying to neutralize.
I think there is even an iPhone app that tells you what to try.
The XXXMain book (which, I think, is a reprinted/reformated version of the old M-Power book that I use) is WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD. But try to convince people to buy it. They'll buy every sparkly goo-gaw for obscene amounts of money, give up on a chassis and spend hundreds on something else, BUT THEY WON'T BUY OR READ THE $10 BOOK!! USING the book requires thought, etc, when it is far easier to hop on fora and ask "what's the hot setup". I LOVE racing those guys because they haven't figured out that the "hot setup" for someone else at another track is NEVER optimized for their driving style or track. So they're usually the only guys I can beat

It's like "give a man a fish he eats for a day, TEACH a man to fish he eats for life". THAT is where the value of the book comes in. Setting up my VTA TC5 I started with a widely available rubber tire stock setup (Josh Hohenstein) which was very good, but then I started dialing it in to my driving style (such as it is) and our typical track. After two seasons it is as dialed as can be. Bob Stormer commented on how well it turns, etc. And it's not me, I'm no tuning genius...I just READ THE BOOK and figure out the adjustments that apply to tune out the characteristic I don't like so much or dial in what I think I want. And it always works, go figure.

The X-Ray book that came with their "ultimate" setup station (and is available to download on their site, or it used to be) gives some general tuning advice, but where IT shines is showing the order in which alignment setup should be done once changes have been made.

Rant over.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Closed Thread