anyone have a good setup for an xray fk 05 for vta thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #10997
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfam2 View Post
anyone have a good setup for an xray fk 05 for vta thanks
for most of the chassis, the standard rubber setups work pretty well for starting points...

what kind of surface are you running on? track size? grip?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #10998
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

It seemed to be the trend for a while to run super soft springs in VTA, ie green ae front and rear and the like. Is this still popular, or are most cars trending towards more standard setups with blue silver or 2.6 3.0 springs?
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #10999
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If anyone is interested, I just got a stock status update at Tower Hobbies that the J71 bodies are in, limited quantities of course. This might mean that other retailers have received them as well.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #11000
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
If anyone is interested, I just got a stock status update at Tower Hobbies that the J71 bodies are in, limited quantities of course. This might mean that other retailers have received them as well.
that's good...hopefully the bodies will now start trickling into the distributors warehouses so other shops can get them

i had to order mine direct from protoform because my LHS kept seeing the available/ship date pushed back to this week
Old 03-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #11001
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
It seemed to be the trend for a while to run super soft springs in VTA, ie green ae front and rear and the like. Is this still popular, or are most cars trending towards more standard setups with blue silver or 2.6 3.0 springs?
When my son and I were running it we went with more of a standard set up and I know most all the fast guys at our track run more of a standard set up.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #11002
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

thanks for the info
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #11003
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 200mm body on tc3

I am really new to onroad and looking to try out the VTA class. I got a used TC3 as a starter. My question is, do i need to buy any special parts to make a 200mm body fit? The wheel wells look like they won't fit well...

Any advice on the TC3 would really help!

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #11004
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxx21 View Post
I am really new to onroad and looking to try out the VTA class. I got a used TC3 as a starter. My question is, do i need to buy any special parts to make a 200mm body fit? The wheel wells look like they won't fit well...

Any advice on the TC3 would really help!

Thanks!
The standard HPI vintage wheel and tires with their widths (26mm front and 31mm rears) and offsets (0mm front and 6mm rear), they all fit perfectly under 200mm vintage bodies. Some of the Mustangs take a little bit of creative wheel hex shimming to fit perfectly, but most are a bolt-on, directly.

The photo below is a stock TC3 FT with stock HPI vintage wheels per the rules, and a stock HPI 'Cuda body. Nothing special to mount or race...

The only thing you will HAVE to do is grind the webbing around the pinion area of the chassis. The large VTA-needed pinions do not fit on the car without some minor modification. This thread has the how-to for that mod a bout 10 times here and there.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #11005
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who else is running shaft in VTA? Who thinks that it might even be better for VTA than a belt driven car?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #11006
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Donno if they are better or worse than belt drive cars in VTA, but for sure, their shortcomings as a high-powered touring car are completely missing in spec classes. A really well-built shaft car that has the least amount of rolling drag possible is certainly a formidable VTA chassis. I still think one of the best VTA chassis is a BMI-chassis TC3 FT with some late model shocks on it.

The only negative with them is that the gearbox internal drive ratio sometimes makes them a little tougher to gear properly than it's belt-driven counterparts.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #11007
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile RE..tc3 gearing

I think if you try a 66t 64pitch spur, you dont have to drmel the web or teardrop. I'm not sure though because I had already been down the dremel route before I got the 66t spur tip. I used a 66t robinson spur, the bolt holes on the spur line up with the holes on drive shaft. Other spurs may work but I already had the spur from 1/12 scale. I have had no durability issues with the lighter smaller spur and I have raced it indoor on carpet and oudoor on asphalt with a ballistic 21.5 I think I'm geared 31 to 34 to 66 depending on track layout, We started with the 21.5 motor and have decided to stay with it. The club has has decided to got 1450 gram wt limit and the TC3 is pretty heavy. I went with the lightweight aluminum diffs. Search TC3 under toys and hobbies on Flebay theres about a bazillion pages of new and used stuff. I run a fairly soft set up, something Barry Baker used somewhere in TC stock on Asphalt, I have some setup sheets from the old Ae site, I don't know if they are still available. I just acquired a TC5,Stole it would be more like it. I haven't benched the TC3 just yet.

TC5 setup up for VTA anyone!!!!!

BUD rules
be KOOL

Last edited by THEBIGBULL; 03-23-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #11008
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarehead View Post
Donno if they are better or worse than belt drive cars in VTA, but for sure, their shortcomings as a high-powered touring car are completely missing in spec classes. A really well-built shaft car that has the least amount of rolling drag possible is certainly a formidable VTA chassis. I still think one of the best VTA chassis is a BMI-chassis TC3 FT with some late model shocks on it.

The only negative with them is that the gearbox internal drive ratio sometimes makes them a little tougher to gear properly than it's belt-driven counterparts.
Thats what I was thinking. Even if they are not "Better" than a belt driven car, at least the flaws from the motor placement are not as easily revealed. Then there is the rolling resistance that is less.

On that BMI TC3 is Jason still making parts for those?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #11009
Tech Champion

dp sorry.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #11010
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm still running a shaft drive TC4 in VTA and do quite well with in. Just won last week against much newer belt drive vehicles (Xrays & Photons) driven by good drivers.

Having a well setup car that can be driven hard into the corner that suits your own driving style is probably the most important thing in 25.5 VTA to me.

In my case I'm using a front diff (that has a bit heavier grease). I can outdrive most cars going into a corner but lose a bit off the corner to cars with a spool. This suits my driving style as I can keep the pressure on the car in front. It is even better if it is a tight layout with a lot of 180s. On the other hand, I've seen other drivers switch to a spool and do much better.

To add to my "disadvantage", my FTTC4 almost makes weight without a body at 1450 grams. The shaft & heavy car has not prevented me from doing well at large VTA events.

In the end, any well setup TC in the hands of a good driver will do well in VTA.