R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #10711
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
A newbie walks into this guy's shop and says, "I want to go racing." Well, you have a RTR TC4 which isn't legal. You have the RTR Sprint 2 (brushed or brushless) which isn't legal either.

Then over here you have the $400 dollar kits which still require all the electronics.

VTA has it pretty close perfect, if you know what to look for. But good luck convincing a newbie that all of this used equipment is actually worth it.
You hit the nail on the head. That is EXACTLY why the Traxxas Slash has been such a huge seller. $250 and you can race! Most tracks now have a stock Slash class of some sort. I've heard hobby shops owners often tell new people that they can buy the Slash RTR and race the next day. Heck, I've seen them at a local track buy it, open it, install the batteries and go race legally right then and there!
USVTA #144
Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #10712
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRman View Post
Gottcha.... He was talking it up as in he knew his customers/racers wouldn't want to cough up the extra $$$ for a new motor and ESC to have this class.

Maybe I can work on him some more.

Lynn
Age old problem in RC. Too many shops think that the ONLY people they should concern themselves with are EXISTING racers. I'm still amazed by the whole "I don't want to buy another motor or esc to race another class, I want my one car to do it all !! " mentality. Maybe we should be pushing for all 17.5 so every body that runs anything but mod can run 17.5 (YEAH....RIGHT !!!). Any smart shop owner THAT HAS OR RUNS A TRACK needs to start being more progressive. People aren't flocking into the shop just because you open the doors. You need to go out and get them. Part of that means you have to have programs that attract NEW drivers and put some effort into making it attractive for existing drivers. Novak sells the refurb 25.5/ESC combo for $104 bucks. That's crazy considering some of the gear drivers buy given their level of skill. Given the cost of a used chassis suitable for VTA + appropriate gear.....VTA is a helluva good deal.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #10713
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the easy solution is for the guys running VTA locally to get to the NEW guys 1st, before they get confussed in the all the smoke and mirrors.....

I normally get all the things to get a car as close to legal as possible, race it a few times then sale it to somebody that wants to race...or use it as a loaner.....

Ive seen this issue resolved also by shops putting up signs, like "before you buy, what class you want to run"...or "ask before you buy"

racers can also put a car together for the local shop and leave it to show new guys what goes into the car to be legal

and last...have them buy the HPI Sprint 2 Sport(VTA) for like $200...its as close as VTA RTR as it gets(new), and sell them the Novak combo for $100...thats $300 and you are there...

and you dont have to buy the Novak yet, for new guys give them some room to grow...gear the car so its slow enough to not run over the legal VTA cars, and put him or her on a time factor...or if they get good fast...let them step up with the Novak system

its ways to get ppl in without fear and breaking the bank...its up to the racers to find and follow a route...

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/708/

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...vta/index.html
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #10714
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Why don't you go to 3 or 4 other racers, there, and get them enthused about the idea.

Most owners I've spoken to or raced at will give you a class if you have a minimum number of entries in it. So get that minimum number and go for it.

Keep it going for a bit, show the even racing and the fun and realism and you should get it to build. . .

We're a grassroots hobby - so go that route.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #10715
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Why don't you go to 3 or 4 other racers, there, and get them enthused about the idea.

Most owners I've spoken to or raced at will give you a class if you have a minimum number of entries in it. So get that minimum number and go for it.

Keep it going for a bit, show the even racing and the fun and realism and you should get it to build. . .

We're a grassroots hobby - so go that route.
+1
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #10716
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
This is a pretty good example of why i think onroad isn't as popular as it used to be.

There are very few to zero cars out there that are even slightly competitive or even within the rules of the 17.5 Stock Touring Car class.

A newbie walks into this guy's shop and says, "I want to go racing." Well, you have a RTR TC4 which isn't legal. You have the RTR Sprint 2 (brushed or brushless) which isn't legal either.

Then over here you have the $400 dollar kits which still require all the electronics.

VTA has it pretty close perfect, if you know what to look for. But good luck convincing a newbie that all of this used equipment is actually worth it. Even though we all know how insanely good some of deals have been lately.

Maybe someone should convince these shop owners to start selling used RTR packages for the local newbies. I have to go to work right now, but i'm sure someone could figure out a good price point on the following stuff used:

Spektrum 2.0 with servo
Novak GTB or Havoc with 25.5 (maybe new from Novak)
TC3 or TC4 tub chassis
Body of choice (new or prepainted)
Wheels and tires (new or gently used)
Lipo and Charger
If we could get HPI to sell Sprint 2 rollers in VTA trim or RTRs with a basic 2.4Ghz radio and a SS 25.5 VTA setup it would do a lot for this class. If HPI can work a deal with Castle for the flux, I would hope they could work out a deal with Novak for electronics to release a true VTA RTR. Add a RTR grade 2.4Ghz radio and you are good to go. If we could get HPI to release a sealed gear diff for the sprint 2, all world be well with the world (of VTA at least)
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #10717
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Why not just add a class to the VTA lineup with the Sprint 2 that comes with the 69 Camaro body?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #10718
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Bottom line....Lot more places that DON'T have tracks than do. So who is HPI seliing to ? Alot more people who AREN'T racers than are. THAT is why the Sprint comes with a Flux. There's no effort to create a VTA legal car because the greater buying public who doesn't know squat about VTA or GT or much else for that matter AND who has no local track to race on, simply wants to go as fast as possilble wherever they drive the car at and they want it to look cool. For some that's a Porsche, for others it's a 69 Camaro.
The argument and effort here shouldn't be to wish for a RTR VTA car....the effort should be in getting more and more people exposed to VTA. The shops AREN'T going to do that. They have to sell PRODUCT....not PROGRAMS. And without a track of some kind....there's no reason to do it at all.
For those areas that DO have a track or club nearby....the club needs to sell VTA if they believe strongly in the program. Maybe it's displaying a car....maybe it's making available cars for sale from the club or having members who are willing to act as "brokers" to help interested people find the right gear. Asking a manufacturer to support a very small segment of RC by providing a specialized product is a pipe dream at best. It's one thing for a company like Novak to provide 1 item for that market , quite another to expect HPI to produce a complete car.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #10719
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
Why not just add a class to the VTA lineup with the Sprint 2 that comes with the 69 Camaro body?
The 69 Camaro body is not the issue. With VTA electronics and the correct body, wheels and tires, any Sprint 2 is legal for VTA. It is the brushed motor, brushed ESC, and the 27mhz AM radio. Strip the electronics off of the 69 Camaro and make it a roller and you have a good basic starting VTA platform. Same thing with Associated. If they made a TC-4 roller it would go a long way towards getting new people into VTA. Add the 2.4Ghz radio and VTA legal electronics of your choice from the list, change the shock oil/caster/camber/toe and you have a kit you can buy and go VTA racing.
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA

Last edited by GP40X; 02-25-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #10720
Tech Fanatic

GUESS WHO MIGHT BE GOING TO THE VTA NAT'S
Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #10721
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrx View Post
i'm just waiting on rob and more info for the event
Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #10722
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrx View Post
can't wait
Old 02-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #10723
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Tamiya TB-03 is available from Speedtech for about $130. It comes with a very cool GT body, wheels, tires, silver can, and speed controller that could be sold off for around $50. Now you have a good VTA roller for $80. That's hard to beat! If I didn't already have a car, I think I would go this route.

I'm in the process of collecting the equipment necessary to build a RTR VTA car to sell at our track. It will be sold for cost. The idea is to make it easy for a noob to enter the sport. A member of our track has donated electronics and tires. I have a body and motor. Looking for a chassis to complete the package. I may have to take my own advice and get a TB-03 for this. Too bad it's late in the season. I may have to wait till next year to sell it off. There are lots of Tamiya cars at our track that use the short reversible suspension so we have lots of spare parts to support a TB-03. Can't say the same about a TC-3.

I'm also considering coming to the Nats. If someone knows the area and can recommend a cheap hotel, pipe up!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #10724
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
i'm just waiting on rob and more info for the event
Yea the sooner the info is out there the better I think it will be,
especially with 3.45 gal gas. It would give guys a chance to put together some carpool options to go.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #10725
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
can't wait
i cant wait [email protected] indy i did good all weekend..(3rd).. & blew it in the main...vengence is mine's!!!..(cue)..dark laughter
Closed Thread