R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #10696
Tech Apprentice

Does the Mustang HPI Sprint2 Flux come with Trans am style decals and #'s?

It says it includes decal sheet, I just wondered what it was?
This is the one I want to get.

Lynn

Tamiya Super Clod Buster, Blackfoot Extreme, HPI Sprint2 Sport (My boy's)
Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #10697
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wouldn't get the flux. The sport is around $200, and you can gear it to fit in till you get your esc and motor.
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #10698
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRman View Post
Does the Mustang HPI Sprint2 Flux come with Trans am style decals and #'s?

It says it includes decal sheet, I just wondered what it was?
This is the one I want to get.

Lynn
Don't think so. Look at the HPI site....none of the early mustang bodies come with numbers.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #10699
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
I wouldn't get the flux. The sport is around $200, and you can gear it to fit in till you get your esc and motor.
Gearing it would allow me to keep up to an extent until I got the required VTA ESC motor?

The only thing is the track I may run at runs the Sprint Flux's ad he said right out his customers may not change to the true VTA ESC motor combo but he would/may run a variation of the VTA rules with the VTA body.

Lynn

Old 02-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #10700
Tech Champion

Quote:
Gearing it would allow me to keep up to an extent until I got the required VTA ESC motor?

The only thing is the track I may run at runs the Sprint Flux's ad he said right out his customers may not change to the true VTA ESC motor combo but he would/may run a variation of the VTA rules with the VTA body.

Lynn
oh...good luck..
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #10701
Tech Apprentice

Thanks! Yeah, the shop owner was pretty upfront about that, he wants to get a better TC class going and I recommended this style class and racing as I know I could easily get into it.

Back to the question at hand..
What kind of gearing do you recommend, with what gears to do it, if I did get the Sport to keep up with the brushless?

Lynn

Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #10702
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

It's funny... the USVTA and that rulebook was set up specifically to combat track owners who do stupid things like that.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #10703
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Don't think so. Look at the HPI site....none of the early mustang bodies come with numbers.
EVO,

The 66 Mustang Coupe comes with meatballs and you provide your own numbers.
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA

Last edited by GP40X; 02-24-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #10704
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarehead View Post
It's funny... the USVTA and that rulebook was set up specifically to combat track owners who do stupid things like that.
How's that? I'm not sure what you mean?

Lynn

Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #10705
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
How's that? I'm not sure what you mean?
Quote:
...he said right out his customers may not change to the true VTA ESC motor combo but he would/may run a variation of the VTA rules with the VTA body.
The whole idea of the rulebook is to make it so that as many tracks as possible run the same rules, from state to state. Variations of a theme that don't include the motor and ESC rules are destined to keep that track alone on an island with no outsiders ever wanting to join a VTA race there. You have a core group of locals running the class (or anything else), and when they get bored, the class dies. I've watched it happen for 25 years across the board in R/C racing.

Rogue track owners making up their own VTA with different motors, ESC and battery rules is an oft failed experiment, and usually doesn't work very well.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #10706
Tech Apprentice

Gottcha.... He was talking it up as in he knew his customers/racers wouldn't want to cough up the extra $$$ for a new motor and ESC to have this class.

Maybe I can work on him some more.

Lynn

Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #10707
Tech Champion

Is this track owner a racer? Is he someone who can really run with the other dogs or is he a flea market owner who thought it would be cool to have a track for toy cars? What I am hearing here is that he is AFRAID that his customers would not want to make the investment to have a VTA car that is legal at more tracks than just his. So he is going to say that its they who dont want a true VTA class. What he does not realize is that he is closing his track off to all of the other VTA racers from other regions that might want to come there to race.

The other problem here is that a Sprint 2 Flux or better yet a field of them is not going to give you the VTA experience. They are meant for having fun in a parking lot and making bystanders joyfully spout expletives. Way overpowered for the purpose of close racing.

I dont know I am not there and cannot say what that person is thinking, but that does not sound right.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #10708
Tech Apprentice

Jim's RC in Binghamton NY is the track I will go to.

He has a pretty good track, and he is a racer. I'll have to talk with him some more and see what he says about it, if anyone here is close to him or races their, they can talk to him about it as well.
Lynn

Old 02-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #10709
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is a pretty good example of why i think onroad isn't as popular as it used to be.

There are very few to zero cars out there that are even slightly competitive or even within the rules of the 17.5 Stock Touring Car class.

A newbie walks into this guy's shop and says, "I want to go racing." Well, you have a RTR TC4 which isn't legal. You have the RTR Sprint 2 (brushed or brushless) which isn't legal either.

Then over here you have the $400 dollar kits which still require all the electronics.

VTA has it pretty close perfect, if you know what to look for. But good luck convincing a newbie that all of this used equipment is actually worth it. Even though we all know how insanely good some of deals have been lately.

Maybe someone should convince these shop owners to start selling used RTR packages for the local newbies. I have to go to work right now, but i'm sure someone could figure out a good price point on the following stuff used:

Spektrum 2.0 with servo
Novak GTB or Havoc with 25.5 (maybe new from Novak)
TC3 or TC4 tub chassis
Body of choice (new or prepainted)
Wheels and tires (new or gently used)
Lipo and Charger
Old 02-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #10710
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Or maybe their local club could do that !!
Closed Thread