Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #1051
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy View Post
The only time I saw a Superbird in a TA race was as a pace car if I can find the pic again I will post it
Cool, I gots me a PACE car!!!!!!!!!!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Old 05-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #1052
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
Thanks for the time and effort you have put into this, a lot of people would have strayed from the rules.... wikipedia has a nice entry for the Trans-Am..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Am_Series
Cool link. AMC had some TA wins!

The Javelin can be classified into two generations: 1968 to 1970 (with a distinct 1970) and 1971 to 1974. Javelins competed successfully in Trans-Am racing and won the series in 1971, 1972, and 1973.

Why doesn't anyone make a Javelin body? LOL!!! ..cause they are ugly as can be! well the gremlin and the pacer have it beat.

Bitter Orange w/ the 'Go Package'!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #1053
Tech Adept

Please excuse the noob question but, how do you mount a 200mm body on a 190mm chassis? is there offsets for the wheels? This sounds like a neat class and would love to start one here in Az. Thanks AzRon
Old 05-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #1054
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRon View Post
Please excuse the noob question but, how do you mount a 200mm body on a 190mm chassis? is there offsets for the wheels? This sounds like a neat class and would love to start one here in Az. Thanks AzRon

The bodies are 200-210mm in the rear and with the 6mm offset rear 31mm wide wheels, they fit nicely on an electric chassis. If you look further back in this thread, there are a few detailed explanations of how everything fits.

Check the rules package on the website for the exact part numbers for wheels and tires from HPI.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #1055
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Not trying to start a fire here just trying to understand a little more on the motor rules...

If for an outdoor asphalt trakc 13.5 and 17.5 are allowed to run 7.4 Lipo - how does this differ, other than the body and tires, from Touring sedan?

Cyclone ~ Orion ~ LRP Sphere ~ S9550
M03 ~ Orion ~ LRP QC3 ~ S9550
RC18R ~ Castle Creations ~ Hi-tec
Slash ~ 9550 ~ SMC Power
8ight-T~9550~V-Spec
Old 05-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #1056
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Outdoors =
13.5 + 4-cells
17.5 + LiPo

Indoors =
17.5 + 4-cells
21.5 + LiPo

Outdoors, the hard treaded tires and no-aero bodies are enough to make it different enough from stock rubber.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #1057
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
There is a website out there somewhere that has all of the actual printed results from every Trans Am race from 1964 to 1972 on it, and I looked through the registered race finishes before I confirmed any rules for bodies. I'm a Mopar guy, so that one would have jumped out at me. Other than the Dodge Dart before the Cuda/Challenger, I didn't see any other cars from Chrysler that would have qualified for our rules.
This series seems to be gaining more attention by the minute. I think that you (Doug) might be in a position that you could sway some of the manufacturers to produce shells that would be intended for use in the VTA series. I think if you wanted a road runner you could have one.

By the way congratulations on the article in this months Driver.

On another note. I have heard it from a reputable source that the Testors model master custom Laquer series paints will work with polycarbonate. Im not talking about the enamels which will give you the classic lexan/paint problems, but the Model Master Custom Laquer Series. These are available in licensed factory colors that will work great with some of the classic themes that are used in VTA racing. Theres a Chevy Engine Block Orange, Plum Crazy, Big Bad Blue, several colors that are perfect for the vintge look.

I dont know yet about the Metalizer paints or the other Testors Laquer paints but I will try to find out. As always test on a scrap of Lexan before committing it to your shell.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #1058
Tech Regular

Quote:
Outdoors =
13.5 + 4-cells
17.5 + LiPo

Indoors =
17.5 + 4-cells
21.5 + LiPo

Outdoors, the hard treaded tires and no-aero bodies are enough to make it different enough from stock rubber.
OK - so again, outdoors where do the brushed motors fit?

13.5/19T
17.5/27t...repectivley

I ask because we run a "vintage class" in Memphis....

Tamiya Black Can
ANY treaded Tire - 26MM or wider
70's or older style bodies
TT-01 - 58t spur - any pinion
no battery limits, no ESC limits.

For us this formula has proven to keep the action very, very close. When someone shows interest we point the to the hobby shop and tell the to get a TT-01R which is tough as nails for a newb, but good enough to move ahead with to the vintge class from novice and it only runs about $140.

Slash ~ 9550 ~ SMC Power
8ight-T~9550~V-Spec
Old 05-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #1059
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarmchl View Post
OK - so again, outdoors where do the brushed motors fit?
From the Rules page of the USVTA website:

Note: Outdoor asphalt tracks will have the option of mandating a 13.5 brushless/19T brushed motor choice or a 17.5 with a 7.4v LiPo battery combo.

If the host track were so inclined, you could also allow 27t stocks in with the 7.4v LiPos. Outdoor rules are still a heavy gray area at the moment, and are really left to the track to decide what is best for them. Keep in mind, our formula will always be, "slower is better."
Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #1060
Tech Regular

Quote:

Note: Outdoor asphalt tracks will have the option of mandating a 13.5 brushless/19T brushed motor choice or a 17.5 with a 7.4v LiPo battery combo.

If the host track were so inclined, you could also allow 27t stocks in with the 7.4v LiPos. Outdoor rules are still a heavy gray area at the moment, and are really left to the track to decide what is best for them. Keep in mind, our formula will always be, "slower is better."

We are very much on the same level and the interest we have in this class is b/c it is drivers race, not a money race. We want to slow it down and take the importance off the equipment and put it back on the driver. Good lines and good laps.

there will always be those that complain that there are too many rules, or they aren't fast enough. I am not picking at you just trying to guage a balancing point for outdoor vintage...much like your indoor 4 cell rule allowed any chassis to be some what competitive.

Slash ~ 9550 ~ SMC Power
8ight-T~9550~V-Spec
Old 05-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #1061
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRon View Post
I had no problems w/ the width but the wheels were not centered in the wheel wells 100% from nose to tail. You'll need to center it well, nose to tail to get the wheels to clear well... i always trim and mark the body post holes before painting...easier to see through it when clear. I got the hpi 68 camaro on my tc4 and it clears barely but nicely and I didn't have to trim past the stock lines, but only cause I centered it well. take your time and good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #1062
Tech Addict

Quote:

I've ran one TA race, outdoors.... 27t w/ 3200 orion lipo...it definity smoked all the other 6cell cars. We really haven't gotten our rules all down yet, still feeling out the field. Race director talking about final drive changes, etc but seem overly complicated to me. I told them I'll just run my 6cell nimh packs.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #1063
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I know with the 4 cell setup, 17.5 seems to be faster every time we try it. Most guys running regular sedan stock seem to prefer 27t motors over 17.5 for all out spped. I think that the efficiency of the BL motor wins out with the lower voltage. That being said, 13.5 + 4 cell is probably where it's at if the track is not really high bite.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 05-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #1064
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy View Post
The only time I saw a Superbird in a TA race was as a pace car if I can find the pic again I will post it
Does ayone know of a site that will list the official pace cars of the T/A series? We're toying with the idea of using a pace car. We've already tested out the rolling start with great results.

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #1065
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
Does ayone know of a site that will list the official pace cars of the T/A series? We're toying with the idea of using a pace car. We've already tested out the rolling start with great results.
HEY, thats my gig Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Closed Thread