R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #10126
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

When I have a little more time, I plan to compose a lengthy post about the unfairness of robk not allowing either our Kinetic or Havoc Pro SC in his USVTA series. Then I will have our team drivers chime in about this wretched "unfairness."

Or, maybe I will just make sure that Novak offerings for this series comply with the existing rules. We re-designed our GTB (and targeted a low "street price") specifically for various spec series, such as USVTA.

On another point: ROAR did nothing to approve the escs added to its Sportsman Division Approved ESC list; the organization simply added whatever escs the Manufacturers asked them to list.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #10127
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
What Tekin's v.208 "mistake" fiasco HAS done is probably made some clubs re-think decisions where they WERE going to allow programmable esc's if they were in tinky-winky-blinky mode but saw that if a mfr. like Tekin can make a boo-boo what's to say no one else has made a similar faux-pas and changed their mind. Or racers make a "mistake", or.... Or at least it probably re-opened an acrimonious debate in these clubs.
Robk announced his 2010 rules last January; we had our USVTA store on line sometime in February---8-9 months before the series began. Therefore, all mfgs who wanted to have Rob approve escs for the upcoming 2012 season have had a year to get them into production.

Last edited by NovakTwo; 01-17-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Unnecessary, out-of-line comment.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #10128
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
That's way too cheap, Used, The RS Pro will easily sell for $150- $160 and the RS will get $125 all day long, I'll guarantee it. Sell the Hotwire separate for $25.
Im guilty...never bought the hotwire...seems like a waste of money if Im to set it and forget it...oh thats right....esc programming...so I need this to be fast...so thats what the fuss is about...well Im married with 2 girls and a house and a dog and a snake...when the heck(77) do I have time to figure out a esc program perimiters...Im doing good to send this info from my new Droid( thanks wifey) while sitting on a assignment

....my Tekin got set months ago..and havent been hooked back up to a CPU/laptop since....cant say that about everybody ...lol

but I guess thats the point...in order to be faster, you will need the "tinker" factor...which most of us dont have the time or patients for..or even the know-how...

thanks again Robk and the USVTA

enough said....cant wait to get those belts finally...we need details Rob, whats up
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #10129
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
When I have a little more time, I plan to compose a lengthy post about the unfairness of robk not allowing either our Kinetic or Havoc Pro SC in his USVTA series. Then I will have our team drivers chime in about this wretched "unfairness."

Or, maybe I will just make sure that Novak offerings for this series comply with the existing rules. We re-designed our GTB (and targeted a low "street price") specifically for various spec series, such as USVTA.

On another point: ROAR did nothing to approve the escs added to its Sportsman Division Approved ESC list; the organization simply added whatever escs the Manufacturers asked them to list.
Quote:
We could call these new guidelines:

"V208 Software Fiasco Memorial Rules"

Robk announced his 2010 rules last January; we had our USVTA store on line sometime in February---8-9 months before the series began. Therefore, all mfgs who wanted to have Rob approve escs for the upcoming 2012 season have had a year to get them into production.
good point....how about them Cowboys
Old 01-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #10130
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Can we please get back to the valve stem conversation? Better yet, how about exhaust pipes and location of gas tank stickers?

For anyone who doesn't know, Indy is now a hot-bed of on-road and VTA. We had two seperate tracks, both within 5 minutes of each other, racing the same classes on the same night (including VTA). Come to Indy, race at both tracks - R/Car, and Indy Slots( where we first raced VTA in Indy)!
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
Old 01-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #10131
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Ach, laddie, NAH yer thinkin' wi yer dipstick!!

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #10132
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My vote is that valve stems are allowed unless they are the chromed valve stems. We ALL KNOW the chrome is worth two tenths down the straight.

Regarding exhaust pipes. NO TUNER FART CANNONS.
Those damn things get on my nerves!!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #10133
Tech Champion

need flyer...ygpm...INDY
Old 01-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #10134
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

But...but...but...(lip quivering)...I use fart cannons on ALL my cars. I bought the gee-whizziest fart cannon on the market because I can spend all day downloading sound/stink profiles and share them online with my buddies!!

Why can't I use fart cannons? If you force me to buy (make) a different exhaust detail I'll just go back to racing TC where fart cannons are the rule of the land!

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #10135
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Regarding exhaust pipes. NO TUNER FART CANNONS.
Those damn things get on my nerves!!
Just for you bud !! My car has been appropriately equipped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbkfZ...eature=related
Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #10136
Tech Champion

IDEA....
Old 01-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #10137
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Everyone was saying 3 pages. This time it has legs (4 pages so far). Can someone take a chain saw and cut them off? Just buy an ESC on the list and be DONE WITH IT! BTW I have an XBR slated to go into the XXX-S i am resurrecting for a VTA Camaro.
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #10138
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:

This right here is RCTech GOLD!!!!

Well Played NovakTwo....well Played.....
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #10139
Tech Champion

Quote:
Chiropractors don't know much about producing new brushless speed controllers. So I will have to rely on you to tell me if thats enough time to get a compliant ESC to the market.

Tekin to the best of my memory, had no sensored ESC available before the RS. So its not like they could tweak the R1 and re release it. They did not have a GTB to fall back on.

What would happen if Tekin stripped some fets out of the RS to make it cheaper, and offerred it without programability? ( I cant remember is it programmed through the servo lead or is there a port you can saw off?) Would that be possible or does it take a completely new design to meet the need here? On the other hand its the FETs that make it so smooth and effecient. IDK.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #10140
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
...... So I will have to rely on you to tell me if thats enough time to get a compliant ESC to the market......
Where there's a will.....

For example, our new GTB2 is a Havoc Pro SC (or Kinetic) with all the timing options/adjustments, PC programmability, upgradeability removed from the firmware; but it includes all of our new on-board programming features. (and the GTB2 is cheaper!)

We could offer an updated version of our Havoc 2S/Spec esc by replacing the low on-resistance MOSFETs of the GTB2 with (cheaper) fets with higher on-res; the only difference between the GTB2s and the updated Havoc Spec/2S would be the on-resistance numbers, which determine motor limits. (same as the differences between our orig escs)

ESC Design 101.....
Closed Thread