R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #10066
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thunder RC TA rules allow any American muscle car without any wings. And in some cases any real body minus wings. Still letting 21.5 novak at 4.9fdr....and current ROAR Spec esc....but most of that has been phased out. We have more guys going full USVTA.....

that's how TRANS-AM THUNDER 1000 ENDURO is going down March 20th, USVTA rules with 4.0 fdr or 21.5 @ 5.0 fdr.
Nashville, TN.....3 man teams busting 1000 laps for a chance at
CASH TROPHY PRIZES
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #10067
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
Because Novak has a strangle hold on the class.
Ouch
Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #10068
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In all honesty, I don't think any of the regular VTA racers at our track care one way or the other about the body's. Yes, we are mostly of the generation that can appreciate the old muscle cars, but that isn't what makes this class popular. What keeps people in the class is the tight racing and speeds that aren't intimidating for the noob.

That being said, maybe a GT class that uses GT bodies and HPI X-pattern belted tires could be what you need. For all practical purposes, these tires are the rubber touring car equivalent to the HPI VTA tires. If you use USVTA rules with just these two changes, you essentially have VTA that appeals to the younger crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Ok, so I've had my little melt down. Now I need some advice. Here's the situation. VTA in Florida is dead,dead,dead. Unfortunately killed due to some weird aversion to slower racing in this state. Even now, the one and only vta program is based on 17.5 use.
As a race director, I truly believe that VTA is a great program and offers a stability that most other classes in rc don't have. The biggest issue is promoting it. The average young person can't relate to Trans Am because they don't have any knowledge of the history. When I say young....I mean almost anyone born in the mid 1970's and up. Thats a bunch of potential hobbyists. These same people relate much better to more modern cars. Mention BMW,Porsche,Camaro or Mustang and instant images of the new body styles or current full scale racing classes pop into their heads.
So.....what have all you successful race directors,club members or just interested vta drivers been doing to generate interest and excitement in VTA racing? Keeping in mind that we have almost a clean slate here.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #10069
Tech Champion

Sounds good
...what are the rules for indygt
Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #10070
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are having trouble getting new racers interested you could always open up the body rule to allow modern street cars in.

Quote:
Ok, so I've had my little melt down. Now I need some advice. Here's the situation. VTA in Florida is dead,dead,dead. Unfortunately killed due to some weird aversion to slower racing in this state. Even now, the one and only vta program is based on 17.5 use.
As a race director, I truly believe that VTA is a great program and offers a stability that most other classes in rc don't have. The biggest issue is promoting it. The average young person can't relate to Trans Am because they don't have any knowledge of the history. When I say young....I mean almost anyone born in the mid 1970's and up. Thats a bunch of potential hobbyists. These same people relate much better to more modern cars. Mention BMW,Porsche,Camaro or Mustang and instant images of the new body styles or current full scale racing classes pop into their heads.
So.....what have all you successful race directors,club members or just interested vta drivers been doing to generate interest and excitement in VTA racing? Keeping in mind that we have almost a clean slate here.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #10071
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

At present, we're offering exactly what you're suggesting. We just re-started the club though and have only had our first get together recently.As of now we offer a GT class using 21.5 no timing and either the x pattern or solaris tires. I really like the stability of VTA and ,as many of you know, GT racing (or whatever iteration you have locally) has been a cluster for awhile and is now basically whatever each group decides it to be.
I'm not real comfortable with that prospect. I like the idea of being part of a larger group and so do many other drivers, especially newer ones. That's why I was asking how others have promoted it. I need to make that commitment now though, before I've asked people to invest in motors and other items they don't need.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #10072
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
WOW!

Only one page?!?!
Give it a minute...I think it still has legs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Novak GTB2 is $99.99 and a TEKIN from Nexxus racing is $164.99. You have to buy the motor from Novak so it's $89.99. There's a $65.00 savings. If I spend the extra $65.00 for a Tekin I can use it for VTA, TC, Mod, 12th blah blah blah blah blah
See? Enough people willing to beat a dead horse (to say nothing of the same tired drum, etc) to get at least a COUPLE pages out of it.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #10073
Tech Champion

Here is the true solution to onroad for new and returning racers.

Start in true USVTA with Ballistic 25.5 and approved esc. Run it forever. Now if you feel the need to go faster. Move to RCGT/TC or any other classs tc offers(except boosted), but I've beat them too with stock spec. And the kick is that a $32 stator will get you there.

So in short VTA can easily be the class to help get ppl racing onroad. So let's try and spread the word around, so ppl will quit losing faith in the classes on offers.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #10074
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
This is the Hurricane All Star Series World Stock Sedan:
Any 190mm 4wd Sedan chassis
Any Body…IE RCGT or Protoform Race type bodies
Any 21.5 motor is allowed with the use of any ESC
Any 17.5 motor is allowed with the use of a ROAR Sportsman listed ESC or ESC settings.
Any Pre-mounted tire is allowed
Any RCGT or USGT tire is allowed

This class has proved to be very popular, biggest turnout at a couple races.
The popular combo seems to be spec 17.5 and a premount race tire. The 21.5/boost and 17.5 spec are pretty close on the track.

If you limited it to gt style bodies only, it would probably be what you are looking for.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #10075
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
At present, we're offering exactly what you're suggesting. We just re-started the club though and have only had our first get together recently.As of now we offer a GT class using 21.5 no timing and either the x pattern or solaris tires. I really like the stability of VTA and ,as many of you know, GT racing (or whatever iteration you have locally) has been a cluster for awhile and is now basically whatever each group decides it to be.
I'm not real comfortable with that prospect. I like the idea of being part of a larger group and so do many other drivers, especially newer ones. That's why I was asking how others have promoted it. I need to make that commitment now though, before I've asked people to invest in motors and other items they don't need.
I think you have pretty much answered your own question. Promote it for what it is. Great racing that doesn't cost much and doesn't require the latest and greatest equipment. Speeds that make it a good place to start. Bodies that are unique in the RC racing world. And lastly, get your racers to buy into being part of something that is bigger than what is happening just at your track.

The only advice I would give you is that since you are starting from scratch, adopt the rules as written. It's easier than making allowances for other motors/speedos/bodies now and then trying to get back to the rules as written later.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #10076
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Sounds good
...what are the rules for indygt
right now alot of the guys are running the world stock sedan rules. Not sure after this weekend if they are going back to our indygt rules.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #10077
Tech Champion

What's happening this weekend at the rug
Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #10078
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
This is the Hurricane All Star Series World Stock Sedan:
Any 190mm 4wd Sedan chassis
Any Body…IE RCGT or Protoform Race type bodies
Any 21.5 motor is allowed with the use of any ESC
Any 17.5 motor is allowed with the use of a ROAR Sportsman listed ESC or ESC settings.
Any Pre-mounted tire is allowed
Any RCGT or USGT tire is allowed

This class has proved to be very popular, biggest turnout at a couple races.
The popular combo seems to be spec 17.5 and a premount race tire. The 21.5/boost and 17.5 spec are pretty close on the track.

If you limited it to gt style bodies only, it would probably be what you are looking for.
This class is a blast and what a lot of the VTA guys started running that weren't willing to comply with the rule change, It's very popular at my home track and often gets just as many if not more entries than VTA.

Quote:
What's happening this weekend at the rug
We be racing

Start of the point series tonight, Sunday is a points race too. Come check it out sometime. We have people that travel on a regular basis, I live an hour and 20 minutes away myself.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #10079
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
So in short VTA can easily be the class to help get ppl racing onroad. So let's try and spread the word around, so ppl will quit losing faith in the classes on offers.
This is right on the money. VTA is what brought me back to racing RC cars in a formal setting rather then street/yard bashing.

Starting in the 17.5 or faster class would require spending a LOT more just to be competitive.

Excellent job to those that organized VTA, I thank you.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #10080
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to twelvegauge Send a message via MSN to twelvegauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
This class is a blast and what a lot of the VTA guys started running that weren't willing to comply with the rule change, It's very popular at my home track and often gets just as many if not more entries than VTA.

We be racing

Start of the point series tonight, Sunday is a points race too. Come check it out sometime. We have people that travel on a regular basis, I live an hour and 20 minutes away myself.
More people need to run the world stock sedan class at The Track in Winthrop Harbor. I don't get there very often but when I have no one is running this class. I smoked my brand new D3 21.5 already though.
Replacement fans for esc's & heat sinks
[email protected] or 630-935-0132
Closed Thread