R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #9931
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default VTA ESC

so with the new rules with non boosted ESC's has anyone found one with a slight advantage or one that is preferred? I am looking to buy one. what would you guys recommend between:
Novak GTB 1/2 Series
Havoc Series
Speed Passion: Cirtix Stock Club

TIA.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #9932
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
so with the new rules with non boosted ESC's has anyone found one with a slight advantage or one that is preferred? I am looking to buy one. what would you guys recommend between:
Novak GTB 1/2 Series
Havoc Series
Speed Passion: Cirtix Stock Club

TIA.
No real advantage with the Esc, The Novak are what they are. I'm getting ready to try a SP and see if I like the feel of them any better, everyone I know running the SP like it and it's quite a bit smaller than the Novaks which appeals to me. Also I'm hoping the brakes are better, they really can't be any worse tho...

Anyway, If your looking for an advantage have Novak build you a ballistic with a hot rotor and ceramic bearings, both are upgradeable with the build a ballistic program they offer on their website, it makes for a pretty expensive VTA motor tho, somewhere around $125 after you pay for shipping.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #9933
Tech Master

thanks for the info. I mis spoke/typed I didn't necessarily mean advantage. I was more concerned with easy of adjust ability, strength of breaks, etc.

I'm actually against spec'ing something and people strecthing the rules like ceramic bearings and hot rotors.

Maybe I'll try the SP. I hear good things.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #9934
Tech Master

Default Driver Figure attachment?

The track we race at doesn't require the driver figure for club racing. However, I have one from McAllister and I was wondering what the most common/best method of attachment was? There may come a time where we need to be 100% VTA rules with the driver figure. So, I was going to work on that.

Thanks!
USVTA #144
Old 01-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #9935
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
thanks for the info. I mis spoke/typed I didn't necessarily mean advantage. I was more concerned with easy of adjust ability, strength of breaks, etc.

I'm actually against spec'ing something and people strecthing the rules like ceramic bearings and hot rotors.

Maybe I'll try the SP. I hear good things.

Yes I run a plain ss 25.5 and don't really see any difference. I do hear however the good rotors do make quite a difference in the spec motors but I have also heard that most of Novaks rotors test pretty good so I don't know if there'd be any real gain or not...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #9936
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
The track we race at doesn't require the driver figure for club racing. However, I have one from McAllister and I was wondering what the most common/best method of attachment was? There may come a time where we need to be 100% VTA rules with the driver figure. So, I was going to work on that.

Thanks!
Velcro it to the shell. When the shell is trashed, you can easily move it to the new one. The little stick on dots are plenty.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #9937
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

According to the "Rules" Tuning Rotors are NOT allowed We Follow 99% of the rules as they are.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #9938
Tech Champion

I posted this awhile back about teching this...is it the notch we look for...can somebody share this info, please

is it just the notch?
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-tunning-rotor.jpg  
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #9939
Company Representative

We do not suggest our Build-A-Ballistics™ for USVTA racing; we offer them, but have never included them in our USVTA store section. We believe that much of the appeal of USVTA is the cost-controlled aspect of the series, which we have assisted with our RMF products and our Trade-In policies. Promoting our customized motor seemed contrary to the goal of the organization.

Also, our graded rotors are 12.3mm, the approved, standard rotor size for our motors. They are regular rotors graded to read +1300 on the Zubak meter. We make no performance claims for this rotor.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #9940
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
I posted this awhile back about teching this...is it the notch we look for...can somebody share this info, please

is it just the notch?
This is our 13mm tuning rotor---not ROAR approved.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #9941
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
We do not suggest our Build-A-Ballistics™ for USVTA racing; we offer them, but have never included them in our USVTA store section. We believe that much of the appeal of USVTA is the cost-controlled aspect of the series, which we have assisted with our RMF products and our Trade-In policies. Promoting our customized motor seemed contrary to the goal of the organization.

Also, our graded rotors are 12.3mm, the approved, standard rotor size for our motors. They are regular rotors graded to read +1300 on the Zubak meter. We make no performance claims for this rotor.
Which was the upgrade I was speaking of, both of which (graded rotor and ceramic bearings) can also be done with ss series motors...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #9942
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Which was the upgrade I was speaking of, both of which (graded rotor and ceramic bearings) can also be done with ss series motors...
Yes, both motors can be upgraded; within ROAR guidelines. Neither the graded rotor nor ceramic bearings are listed in our USVTA Store; they are not promoted by us for the USVTA series.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #9943
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
And I believe that not only are the tuning rotors mentioned on the rules as being illegal, but if the issue was pushed, that a clause would be immediately added to not allow the ceramic bearings, as well.

This is a spec class—changing of spec motor components would be considered cheating and would likely bounce out of tech at any track that enforces the USVTA rules.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #9944
Tech Champion

So how do I tech the rotors or bearings, without taking the motor apart or out of the car?
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #9945
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have no real knowledge of what a better rotor does because nobody in road racing seems to care very much. Oval guys care, but this isn't oval racing. The other side is that I see oval guys complaining on Hobbytalk that their friends get better rotors from the regular, non graded motors Oval guys obsess about everything... Not to mention I have had a national level a-main road racer tell me he was faster with weaker rotors when did have somebody look at his motor. LOL

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Closed Thread