R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #976

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just picked up a TF5 and a vintage lid. received a lipo too so i hope this 21.5 deal goes thru. sounds like a winner. i wont be racing every wk anymore (semi-retired), so this is gonna be for fun. and all i've seen has said that its fun.

R
Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #977
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

My new Trans Am secret weapon:

Full AWD TC chassis (albeit pretty darn small). Will be set up with a Silver Can motor and LiPo battery for its debut this weekend at the SIR "Race for Grace" charity benefit. Had to pick up a MaxAmps LiPo as none of the hardcase batteries will fit--you THINK X-rays are a bit tight for room? Turns out they've got ACRES of space...

Car can be easily changed over to 4-cell nimh and any 540 size brushed or brushless (though I shudder to consider wedging a GTB in there...)) motor to run whatever spec.

Car is a Datsun 510 done in the BRE livery for John Morton. This team/car/driver combination won the SCCA Trans Am 2.5 Challenge in both '71 and '72.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)

Last edited by Scottrik; 06-27-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:04 AM   #978
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

that datsun looks awesome..

what chassis is underneath? Since you're saw AWD, I'm thinking HPI Mini? or a 4wd converson for the M03?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 AM   #979
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
that datsun looks awesome..

what chassis is underneath? Since you're saw AWD, I'm thinking HPI Mini? or a 4wd converson for the M03?
judging by the top pic it looks like a shaft drive mini which leads me to believe its possibly the ABC mini chassis

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Old 05-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #980
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Scottrick - As a past Datsun Racer - WOW!!! - That is so cool. Hey if you put a 380 can motor in it would it be legal for an U2.5 Trans-Am Class!!

So now you just need to finish the NSU!

It would be cool to have a picture of your Trans-Am Fleet. I've seen a few but I'm sure all the racers would get a big boost in doing more with there cars as well.

Once again, very nice!!
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #981
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
judging by the top pic it looks like a shaft drive mini which leads me to believe its possibly the ABC mini chassis
Ding ding ding...we have a winner. It is, indeed, the ABC "Genetic" chassis. Actually appears to be a decent bit of kit, especially for the price. Just hope I don't break anything--replacement parts I may as well buy another kit. What's that? Oh...I DID buy another kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Scottrick - As a past Datsun Racer - WOW!!! - That is so cool. Hey if you put a 380 can motor in it would it be legal for an U2.5 Trans-Am Class!!
My goal for the AWD is to see how it compares, lap time wise, to the "big" cars. I think it can be made fairly close on the same motor/battery combination, and the chassis is set up to run 4-cell or 6-cell. A 6-cell "side-by-side" falls right in. It's just hard case LiPos that won't QUITE fit. It's a matter of a mm here or there, but as tight as this chassis is there isn't a mm to spare.

The M-chassis Tamiya based cars I'd like to create a "U-2" class with. Unique driving experience, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
So now you just need to finish the NSU!
Yeah. Ran into a small problem on my RWD conversion for the M03 chassis. Not an enormous one, but one of those little pita things that dealing with Tamiya doesn't help at all. I need a particular ball end to extend the shocks away from the arms. I even have the part number for the "package" of balls (which was a bit of doing itself) but do you think I can get ANYONE at Tamiya to tell me how many come in a package? OR go back, pull a package, take a look, and let me know...? So the NSU (and the Subaru 360, and...) sit forelornly on the shelf...

The Datsun, otoh, gets the electronics installed today and I'll race it in Seattle on Saturday!!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #982
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Car is a Datsun 510 done in the BRE livery for John Morton. This team/car/driver combination won the SCCA Trans Am 2.5 Challenge in both '71 and '72.
How do you like the actual ABC kit, Scott? I have been toying with the idea of buying one of those Generic cars for a little while now, but I already have too many shelf queens in the stable.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #983
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Ridge_Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Ridge_Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Here are some photos of the body I just painted. The stripes on top are paint. Had a bit of overspray in the front, but I figure that will get bashed in soon enough. Need to get it mounted and the wheels glued up so I can get a picture of the whole car!
Oh how I love Mustangs
Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #984
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
How do you like the actual ABC kit, Scott? I have been toying with the idea of buying one of those Generic cars for a little while now, but I already have too many shelf queens in the stable.
What's not to like...it comes almost completely pre-assembled. Only had to install (and cut to length) the body posts and mount/glue the tires on the wheels. The chassis seems of pretty good quality. It has a carbon fibre look but I think it's actually glassfibre. It is shaft drive and the drivetrain spins pretty freely. Pillow ball suspension at all four corners. It will be interesting to see what it does against the clock...I think it will do ok with some time to dial it in (or get used to driving it).

I'd really rather run it 4-cell and keep the stresses to a minimum as spare parts will be a bear to source and postage will be prohibitive. Unlike the M-chassis cars it comes with oil-filled shocks. I may try to sneak a set of threaded TRF shocks on it because I hate fiddling with spring shims when I'm trying to set height and get it to scale evenly.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #985
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Looking to upgrade my batteries.... especially since i just have some 1500 NiCd to bash around the parking lot....

What brand NiMh do people like to run in the 4-cell?

And.... since Hard Case Lipos are allowed in Florida (www.fseara.org) what are some options there?

It seems that the Orion 3200 lipos are a good choice since they are $67 at Stormer Hobbies but i see that the maH are now up to 5000 on some Lipo packs....

as always, thanks! everyone here has been super helpful so far!!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #986
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

The $67 3200 Orion pack for Trans Am is a helluva deal and plenty more than you'd ever need on a 21.5 motor (or whatever the motor formula is there). Can't go wrong with that one, IMO.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #987
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

what's up Doug, hows the foot doing. I'm currently recovering from having 5 wisdom teeth removed. Thats right I said 5, aren't I lucky. Hope to see ya out at the Track soon.

Later Ryan
Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #988
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Still broken. Another 3 weeks in a walking cast, so I'm still hobbling around a bit. Haven't touched the cars since the Nats, but I'm looking to get out to the Track soon to do some top secret T/A testing.

FIVE wisdom teeth? That's like sideshow stuff, eh?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #989
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
Ding ding ding...we have a winner. It is, indeed, the ABC "Genetic" chassis. Actually appears to be a decent bit of kit, especially for the price. Just hope I don't break anything--replacement parts I may as well buy another kit. What's that? Oh...I DID buy another kit.

My goal for the AWD is to see how it compares, lap time wise, to the "big" cars. I think it can be made fairly close on the same motor/battery combination, and the chassis is set up to run 4-cell or 6-cell. A 6-cell "side-by-side" falls right in. It's just hard case LiPos that won't QUITE fit. It's a matter of a mm here or there, but as tight as this chassis is there isn't a mm to spare.

The M-chassis Tamiya based cars I'd like to create a "U-2" class with. Unique driving experience, etc...

Yeah. Ran into a small problem on my RWD conversion for the M03 chassis. Not an enormous one, but one of those little pita things that dealing with Tamiya doesn't help at all. I need a particular ball end to extend the shocks away from the arms. I even have the part number for the "package" of balls (which was a bit of doing itself) but do you think I can get ANYONE at Tamiya to tell me how many come in a package? OR go back, pull a package, take a look, and let me know...? So the NSU (and the Subaru 360, and...) sit forelornly on the shelf...

The Datsun, otoh, gets the electronics installed today and I'll race it in Seattle on Saturday!!

Where did you get the 510 body, who makes 'em???

After the fire a few years ago - the only cars I have left in the "garage" is my '72 510 vintage racer I bought back in '75 that still only has 18K on the odometer - and the former Avis Shelby Mustang rent-a-racer I bought and started restoring about 5 years ago.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #990
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRob40 View Post
Where did you get the 510 body, who makes 'em???

After the fire a few years ago - the only cars I have left in the "garage" is my '72 510 vintage racer I bought back in '75 that still only has 18K on the odometer - and the former Avis Shelby Mustang rent-a-racer I bought and started restoring about 5 years ago.
Body And Chassis

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
Closed Thread