Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #946
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Great idea in getting an interesting and fun class going, I hope it grows and becomes widespread across the country! I'm a midwest transplant from Toledo, now in SC for almost 20years. We tried to get a similar class going a couple of years ago, but it fizzled almost before it started. Now we're trying another round following your rules. Most of us have gone to lipo/bl in our oval and tc racing and hope to find an equivalency formula to allow them, but will start with 27turn stock and 4cell NiMH. Three cars should be ready to race Satlurday!!!

My question is where to get vintage looking stickers for both numbers and sponsors and also how/where do some of the guys get the prototype specific "sets" like the Gurney and Savage 'Cudas?!?!? I sure would like a couple of sets of those!!!

Also, the '69-'70 Mustangs. Oh yeah, I've heard of McCallister and Pegasus Mustang bodies but cannot seem to find any or any pictures. Any leads? HPI bodies are so great (scale) the Parma Mustang looks more like a dirt modified than a TA car. I hope HPI can be convinced to make a '65- '66 and or '67-'68 Mustang Notchback since the '65 and '66 they have now were not elegible to run in the TA.

If you can get me intouch, I'd sure Appreciate it!!!
Great Racing!!

Ned Schmaltz
Parma has a bunch of sticker sets, like the "drag" and "off road" sheets that have a bunch of appropriate sponsor logos. Amazingly enough, Traxxas has a logo sheet that has some good stuff on it. If you look, it is in a lot of hobby shops.

The rest of my stuff is a collection of old sheets from different bodies and probably discontinued stickers.

I know some of the coolest stuff was actually custom made.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 05-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #947
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Parma has a bunch of sticker sets, like the "drag" and "off road" sheets that have a bunch of appropriate sponsor logos. Amazingly enough, Traxxas has a logo sheet that has some good stuff on it. If you look, it is in a lot of hobby shops.

The rest of my stuff is a collection of old sheets from different bodies and probably discontinued stickers.

I was at hobby lobby the other day and the pinewood derby cars had the old sponsors stickers. Not sure how they fit to scale. But something to look at.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #948
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi nut View Post
aarcobra, the USVTA rules do allow the HPI Mustangs as T/A bodies and the 4 cell 17.5 combo seems to be a good match up with the 4 cell 27t combo. Several of us here in the Fayetteville, NC "club" will be using the 21,5 w/lipo and a fdr rule.
Thankx for the reply, I realize the rules allow the fastback Mustangs, I just would like to see some notchbacks! Pretty weird tho, I had two '65 2+2's (fastbacks) and have never liked the look of the notchback, now I want one to race TA!
I'll be trying 21.5 and lipo too, I'm really sold on bl/lipo! Any idea of what gear ratio you'll be using?
We're not too far away, we race in Easley, SC, outside of Greenville. Do you guys have a webpage where I can get info on your races? May want to see what's up with some other TA racers!

Let me know, and Thankx,
Ned ([email protected])
Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #949
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post

Thankx! I'll check into the Parma and Traxxas sheets. I've been collecting logos from the web and pix I have but I don't know the best way to make them into stickers. There is a local guy that makes up some great ones, really professional looking. I don't know if he can get the vintage art work.

I think one of the coolest tlhings about this class is the vintage look of the cars I grew up watching and reading about. I went over to Road Atlanta today and saw soome practice and qual for the "Mitty", great vintage race.

Later,
Ned
Old 05-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #950
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Let's see Lipo (7.4V) and stock motors, well doesn't that equal using 6 cell (7.2V) and stock motors or in other words, Stock TC but with TA bodies. No, the rules were to have fun with slower cars that handle well rather than start the motor and battery wars of stock TC racing.
Well gee, when you say it like THAT.... I see what you mean.... I always forget about the voltage on the LiPo....
Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #951
Tech Adept

Ned, we have a thread over on rc zone, on the regional forum, Fayetteville parking lot races, We usually run sundays starting about 1:00, the 11th will be our first T/A race, from the chatter, we will have 5 to maybe 8 cars for that race. I hope everybody enjoys it and we have an even bigger turnout in the weeks following.
Bob
Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #952
Tech Elite

Show us some photos of your track and the races when you can.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 PM   #953
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Any idea of what gear ratio you'll be using

In Fayetteville we are starting out with 4.3-4.4 FDR for the 21.5/LiPo.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #954
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How is the rear tire clearance on the HPI Mustang bodies? I noticed when I bought the '66 that in the instructions for the body it shows using the 26mm tires on the front and rear of a 200mm chassis (nitro).

Considering the recent scarcity of rear tires has anyone considered/tried running the front tires on both ends of the car?

Also, has anyone tried using the Losi hex adapter that have different offsets? Here is a link to Losi that describes the part - http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA9686
Old 05-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #955
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been running the 31mm rear wheels with that body on a TC3 without problems.

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #956
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
I've been running the 31mm rear wheels with that body on a TC3 without problems.
Yes, on the 190mm TC3 the 31mm tires just fit under the Mustang, however, he asked about the clearence with a 200mm chassis and I guess the answer is no.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #957
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for both replies. I've got an old HPI Pro 200mm, a HPI Pro 2 190mm and a TC3 that could be 190 or 200mm. Probably will end up running my old HPI Pro 2 with a lipo battery just because it will be easier due to chassis design.

Just wondered what that handling would be like if you ran the narrow tires in the rear.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #958
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
....I guess the answer is no.
For what it's worth, I have a Mustang on a 200mm HPI nitro chassis, and you have to use the 26mm tires on the back....
Old 05-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #959
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If anyone is using a xray chassis... can you post your setup? I am having issues getting traction entering and exiting the corner. But have mid-corner traction

Thanx

HotShot RC / Nexus Racing
Xray T2 '009 w/Exotek Chassis, BMI DB12rr, Tamiya F104X1
Team Durango DEX210
Old 05-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #960
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

For you guys running nitro, you may want to look at the Pegasus bodies. Their mustang still has 3-4mm per side with the 31mm tires on my TC5. Granted, the car is narrower, but you may have a better chance. As far as the Cuda and 70 Camaro, there should be no problem whatsoever. Both bodies are probably 210+ mm wide.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Closed Thread