Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
3 wires, not 2.
dammit i know its 3, but the stupid laptop typo'ed 2
Old 10-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #9362
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchamp View Post
After watching you guys on Sunday(I was the guy racing the Inferno GT2), it seemed like fun and since I have a chassis, i should be able to get into it pretty cheap! Any good motor/esc combos you'd recommend?
I would go with the novak combo VTA package (25.5 edition).
I don't know if we are switching from the 21.5s or not, but its good to be prepared. If we don't, next summer you can borrow one of my 21.5 motors.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #9363
Tech Adept

Thanks Kregger, I appreciate the offer. I won't be buying until early 2011(Feb) or so, so if they do go up too 25.5 I'll be in good shape either way! Is the Novak ESC easy to set up on its own or do you need a outside interface?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #9364
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchamp View Post
Is the Novak ESC easy to set up on its own or do you need a outside interface?
Entirely self-contained, no external apparatus necessary. Just count the blinking lights and you're there.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #9365
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
dammit i know its 3, but the stupid laptop typo'ed 2
Fat fingers and an iphone will also get you into trouble. Dont ask me how I know.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #9366
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default New to VTA and TC, need some help/ info.

I just picked up a Xray 007 and had a few questions. Is there any body on the VTA approved list that is better for handling/traction? My 007 is the rubber spec. version and I was wondering about the exotek chassis. Is it any better or would the stock chassis be better?
Also is there any web sites that have some good pics to get a realistic paint job. Any info. would be helpful. Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #9367
Tech Champion

Rubber tire set up is where you want to start. I would not bother with anything special. You dont need the Exotek chassis but it is fine if that is what you want to keep in neat and spend your dough on. If you are looking for the one body that handles better than the others then I suggest you relax and forget about the TC rules. That means pick which brick you like the best and go with it.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #9368
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Rubber tire set up is where you want to start. I would not bother with anything special. You dont need the Exotek chassis but it is fine if that is what you want to keep in neat and spend your dough on. If you are looking for the one body that handles better than the others then I suggest you relax and forget about the TC rules. That means pick which brick you like the best and go with it.
Good advice! I would add that most people who convert their rubber TC to VTA struggle with getting the car to hook up in the turns. With the slower speeds and less traction we have in VTA, you need to soften up the suspension a bit and get the body to roll more. Also, it takes a few runs to get the tires to break in so don't go crazy with adjustments until you have a few runs on the tires.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #9369
Tech Apprentice

im new to the on road thing so dont pick on me when i ask what VTA cars look like or is there no difference in them and the touring cars??
Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #9370
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade906 View Post
im new to the on road thing so dont pick on me when i ask what VTA cars look like or is there no difference in them and the touring cars??

This class runs with Camaro, Cuda, and Mustang bodies. It is meant to replicate the SCCA Trans Am series from the late 60s - early 70s.
There is a thread here that shows a lot of the VTA paint jobs.

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
Old 10-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #9371
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Got a quick question why was the 5000 mah limit set on the packs?? There are alot of great packs out there in the 5500 range used.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #9372
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Good advice! I would add that most people who convert their rubber TC to VTA struggle with getting the car to hook up in the turns. With the slower speeds and less traction we have in VTA, you need to soften up the suspension a bit and get the body to roll more. Also, it takes a few runs to get the tires to break in so don't go crazy with adjustments until you have a few runs on the tires.
Thanks a lot guys, info appreciated.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #9373
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokefan View Post
Got a quick question why was the 5000 mah limit set on the packs?? There are alot of great packs out there in the 5500 range used.
When the limit was set 5000 was pretty much the biggest out there. Having a limit, where ever it's set, keeps folks from thinking they need to buy new batteries every time a bigger one comes out.

By setting the limit at pretty much the max that was available then was good business as it didn't ban a battery someone might have already bought.

So now the mah keeps getting bigger, there's no need to buy the bigger batteries. Yes, bigger packs are available used, but look at it this way: the smaller packs are also available used and (like for like) less expensive to boot.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 10-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #9374
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
By setting the limit at pretty much the max that was available then was good business as it didn't ban a battery someone might have already bought.
wouldn't that logic still then apply now?

Or, is there something else about batteries beyond 5000mah limit that is an issue?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #9375
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ok so what are some good lipos then other than TP, had 1 it puffed. So I went back to my old SMC 5000 28c packs and would like to know what some other good packs are.
Closed Thread