R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #9121
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

"ROAR-approved" has been the rule since LiPos were first allowed in the class 2+ years ago...not a new rule by any stretch.

Why is this important? Many grass-roots clubs depend on ROAR for insurance, and LiPos are definitely a safety issue. IF there was to be a fire, and IF it were shown that it was a non ROAR-approved pack that was the culprit (for whatever reason) then that coverage would be compromised. Does that mean non ROAR-approved packs are defective or less quality than those that are approved? Not at all. They might be, they might not be. But IF there was to be a problem here, none of us in our local race program can write a check (even collectively) to re-build the Shrine Auditorium if we were to burn it down. And we're not terribly dis-similar to a lot of other clubs across the country.

Even a less extreme example. Suppose that LiPo were to catch fire and get dropped onto the floor? Even if it didn't start an all-consuming blaze, our 2-day event each year is held on a wood basketball court. The expense to repair damage to that floor would very likely bankrupt our club or any other.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)

Last edited by Scottrik; 09-07-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #9122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14 View Post
So now there is a limit on the lipos?? And what if the lipo i have isnt "Roar approved" You guys are going to "Rule "the class into extinction, be carefull
There has always been a 5000mah limit on lipos since they were allowed.

And yes we will rule the class into extinction. Sorry, I am real tired of all the freedom lovers out there who cannot possibly have to obey any rules at all. Why does anyone think they need a 5600 pack to run a class where 21.5 motors pull about 1200-1800 mah out of the battery for a run? 25.5 will be even less.

And as far as roar approved, this has also been the rule since lipo was allowed. I know everybody wants to run the $20 HobbyKing packs. I'm sure most tracks just want people to run hard case batteries.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #9123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Then how about a list of approved batteries Myself and a lot of others I am sure have a budget to work around. You telling me if I show up to race and I dont have a roar approved pack I cant race?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #9124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Or are you just more concerned they be hard case? Which is understandable.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #9125
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Why does anyone think they need a 5600 pack to run a class where 21.5 motors pull about 1200-1800 mah out of the battery for a run? 25.5 will be even less.
Not often, but I have seen it done.... 2 heats without recharging. Never seen three heats though. On the packs I am seeing a lot more 5000 packs with 35c ratings for $50 or about. I am glad not to need a $120 thunderpower for this.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #9126
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Look, the rule we have defined is ROAR approved. If you go to Strictly or Winthrop Harbor, and they let you run Turnigy or who ever's hard case pack, that is up to the track operator. Almost any track you go to, including Leisure, will say "ROAR rules" most of the time. I can bet 1/2 the guys racing offroad are running the cheap packs from Hong Kong which are not approved by ROAR. The problem is that once you open the door a crack, everybody tries to break the door down. I know there will be a lot of people running non approved batteries. I also don't own a track or run races, so the rules are in the end a guideline. ROAR's approval is at least a baseline of safety. If a track is comfortable with non approved packs, then more power to them. Ask your local track operator what they want to see.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #9127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The rules are the rules. Period.

Everybody else is apparently way smarter than the guys who came up with this, so they are doing things their own way. That's fine. I just think that there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Otherwise things spiral out of control. See RCGT.
OH GAWD...don't ruin anyones day by using rcgt as an example. Then again..I don't figure VTA suffered to much over the almost complete demise of rcgt.

That being said, it amazes me how many people continue to try and create strife in a succesful program that has become one of the best ENTRY classes in rc. NEW PEOPLE are getting involved for all the reasons that VTA was designed for. It may surprise all of you existing racers but YOU are the minority !!!! And don't forget that YOU choose which classes to get involved with and what equipment will suit the need. If you want to run 2 classes but the 5000 isn't to your liking....then sell your 5600's and buy all 5000's.If you're one of the 99% of us who aren't professional drivers..you're not likely to notice much of a difference. Lets face it....you probably bought 5600's because somebody told you it was the best choice.

Stop trying to mess up a great program. It's working and growing. If you don't like it, don't bash it. You've made your comments.....now move on so some NEW driver can see what a worthwhile choice VTA is.
Keep in mind one more positive note. VTA has always promoted that a club can use whatever rules they wish in everyday use. But when it comes to VTA recognised events....the national rules must be used.
IMHO, best to use the national rules or as close as possible.

Last edited by Evoracer; 09-07-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #9128
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

VTA rules work well for a number of reasons. As a race organizer, the rules are and have always been, good at making for close racing. The new rules (the only revision), will make for even closer and now cheaper racing.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #9129
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been told it's all about the perception, but a 20C 4000mAh battery is no match to a 45C 5000mAh. I don't see a problem with my 50C 5600mAh and neither do the places I will race at here in ND as far as I can tell so whatever. I'm not going to travel to race this class where they won't allow me to run my equiment. I'm sure when the 5600's become more of a commodity the rules will change eventually.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #9130
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmes View Post
I've been told it's all about the perception, but a 20C 4000mAh battery is no match to a 45C 5000mAh. I don't see a problem with my 50C 5600mAh and neither do the places I will race at here in ND as far as I can tell so whatever. I'm not going to travel to race this class where they won't allow me to run my equiment. I'm sure when the 5600's become more of a commodity the rules will change eventually.
Generally speaking, 2 X C = max current draw in Amps
The average TA car might pull 50 Amps at start of race if the car is at a dead stop.

Honestly, get the lower mAh pack. The advantage is lower weight. Then use the weight savings to balance the chassis better. I run a 3200 in a couple of my cars and have one of the best balanced cars on the track. The 5600 is going to be heavy, throw off your CG and probably force your car out of balance. Just plain overkill. If you can pull 50 Amps out of 25.5 Novak other than initial takeoff, let me know. 25C to 30C is just about perfect for this class, 40C is overkill.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #9131
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I understand that, I just want to use the 5600's because that's what I have. Good to keep in mind though, in case the class gets really competitive and I feel the need to step it up. I just want to have fun inbetween 1/12th.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #9132
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Not often, but I have seen it done.... 2 heats without recharging. Never seen three heats though. On the packs I am seeing a lot more 5000 packs with 35c ratings for $50 or about. I am glad not to need a $120 thunderpower for this.
Dont forget my enduro...28min on a SMC 4000 28c pack(21.5 setup)...

also dont get caught-up in big battery better crap...a good 20-30c 3200-5000 is always a better chouce....alot of times with those big batt, you never use the juice anyway....
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 09-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #9133
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HA I got that beat. IP 3800 25c that I accidently charged on nimh on my pulsar 3 at 3.8 amps and then ran 2 5 minute heat races and a 8 minute main and won the main. didn't want to recharge it till the swelling went down. just ask battboy

or look here
http://results.rc50.com/Thunder_RC_N...09/05-08-2009/
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #9134
Tech Champion

ha ha...leave it to you to get the right nick-name Dirty Dirla

still the best

http://results.rc50.com/Thunder_RC_N...rans%20AM.html
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #9135
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I plan on using the Venom 3800 35C 2S lipos from my Slash Spec program for VTA. Still gathering repair parts for the cars and still need to get a body. Trying to sell some left over AR-15 stuff to finance my VTA cars. (had to quit shooting rifle competitions due to medical reasons. WILL NOT OFFER FOR SALE OR TRADE HERE AND WILL NOT ANSWER ANY AR-15 SALE RELATED IM'S OR POSTS FROM RCTECH PERIOD). They weigh 1 & 1/2 ounces less than my 30C 5000 Mah Venoms and that weight will make a big difference in balancing the car. Looks like the first one completed will be a LOSI XXX-S with either an XBR or GTB.
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
Closed Thread