R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #8986
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 132
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo 309 View Post
Is there a pinion gear and spur grar chart for the 25.5 motors yet? i am looking for a good starting point for gearing my vta car thanks

My T2 007 is geared at 4.0 (104T X 44T) on our 40' X 90' carpet track. It has a little less punch & top end than a non boost/turbo 21.5, but not that much slower. Tie wear is a lot less than boosted 21.5.

Gris, you should try 25.5. The slower speeds would suit your driving a lot better
mariob62 is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #8987
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo 309 View Post
Is there a pinion gear and spur grar chart for the 25.5 motors yet? i am looking for a good starting point for gearing my vta car thanks
can't help you with the actual starting point, but did you check out gearchart.com to create the chart for you??
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #8988
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob62 View Post
My T2 007 is geared at 4.0 (104T X 44T) on our 40' X 90' carpet track. It has a little less punch & top end than a non boost/turbo 21.5, but not that much slower. Tie wear is a lot less than boosted 21.5.

Gris, you should try 25.5. The slower speeds would suit your driving a lot better
Naw, but unboosted 21.5 seems about right.
Gris is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #8989
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 42
Default

After reading a lot of this thread I really wish there was a 1/10 track to race on around here. I have a XXX-S that I used to do friendly parking lot racing with a few people but that was about it. I'd love to join this racing class because it really brings in a lot of full scale characteristics of racing.

I've been racing a similar class that 5 friends of mine have created in 1/18 scale with the exact same concept. We have a scale size track with fairly low grip but the cars are easy to drive and all pretty much identical. After six years of this the racing is even more fun now than when we started. We have amazing wheel to wheel battles and the racing is by far more fun than any other RC racing I have done and only 10% of the price. Our spec racing experience might even give you guys a few ideas that might be good for your series whether its just for local or bigger. http://www.harnoishobby.com/articles.html#formula The owner of our track has written in detail our rules and the concept of our racing. That page has everything from our race format, scoring system, car configurations and most of it can be used in any scale of racing. ALL of it was designed to make for the closest racing possible. We have been hopping that it will catch on with 1/18 scale because its way more fun and cheaper than what I see everyone else doing with the micro on-road cars.

If at any point I have the opportunity to race in a class like this Vintage Trans-Am racing I will join it in a heart beat. I love 1/10 because the larger cars are so much nicer to drive and getting your suspension setups right just makes them a dream to race. I hope your class keeps going strong and people looking for an equipment advantage don't pull it apart. We race for the competition and not just to be a big fish in a small pond.
Dyscrasia is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #8990
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 289
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Wow! I looked at a few of the videos on the web site and was really impressed. I've often wondered how our cars would behave on a track with hills. Love the bridge and scale look of the track. Wouldn't it be cool if we could race our VTA cars on scaled down versions of Watkins Glen or Road America. I grew up watching the Trans Am and Can Am cars on those tracks. Those were the good old days for sure. I know you are envious of us but you've got something really cool going on yourself! Thanks for sharing that.
woodys3b is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #8991
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Wow! I looked at a few of the videos on the web site and was really impressed. I've often wondered how our cars would behave on a track with hills. Love the bridge and scale look of the track. Wouldn't it be cool if we could race our VTA cars on scaled down versions of Watkins Glen or Road America. I grew up watching the Trans Am and Can Am cars on those tracks. Those were the good old days for sure. I know you are envious of us but you've got something really cool going on yourself! Thanks for sharing that.
Yeah the elevation changes really bring in an aspect of RC racing thats usually missing. We want to put more in through the infield but it takes a lot of work. It has a huge effect on how you choose your racing lines. I would love to duplicate that weird off-camber corner at Road Atlanta! The newest video we have is two years old and we've made the cars easier to drive since then which let us consistently race even closer now.

I do think your Trans-Am cars are still to fast for really close racing but I did see a few videos with excellent close racing. Its still so much better than the other carpet racing videos that I've seen. When the cars are so fast everyone just ends up driving by themselves or wreck if they get close to each other. When you have cars moving so fast its impossible to react quickly enough to the other drivers around you. The only way to fix that is to reduce the speed and grip to give everyone more time to react which is basically what you've done with the Trans-Am racing.
Dyscrasia is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #8992
Tech Elite
 
Greg Sharpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ...building minis
Posts: 3,237
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

One of my favorite VTA videos, and it's not even one where I won.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
Why don't we endurance race more often?
Greg Sharpe is offline  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #8993
Tech Addict
 
GP40X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 720
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Well, I have gone through the last 30 or so pages of this thread as I am interested in building a VTA car. Been out of it for a long time and just got into rock crawling and off road lately (used to run Nitro Turning back in the day and also ran Dirt Oval in the early 90's). Too bad none of the manufacturers offer an inexpensive chassis kit to get started so I will be picking up a used chassis to start. Don't feel like buying a RTR and stripping it to get started.
__________________
Bill
"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
Team Qik
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #8994
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 289
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
Well, I have gone through the last 30 or so pages of this thread as I am interested in building a VTA car. Been out of it for a long time and just got into rock crawling and off road lately (used to run Nitro Turning back in the day and also ran Dirt Oval in the early 90's). Too bad none of the manufacturers offer an inexpensive chassis kit to get started so I will be picking up a used chassis to start. Don't feel like buying a RTR and stripping it to get started.
Bill,

You don't need a high end carbon fiber touring car chassis to race VTA. I'm one of many who use a Tamiya TA-05 v2. Seems to be on pace with cars that cost twice as much and its durability is amazing. Be careful though, once you get the Tamiya bug, you'll be hooked for life. On the other hand, I always see good deals on used touring cars that are already set up for VTA. Either way, you don't have to spend a bunch to get involved.
woodys3b is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #8995
Tech Addict
 
GP40X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 720
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Bill,

You don't need a high end carbon fiber touring car chassis to race VTA. I'm one of many who use a Tamiya TA-05 v2. Seems to be on pace with cars that cost twice as much and its durability is amazing. Be careful though, once you get the Tamiya bug, you'll be hooked for life. On the other hand, I always see good deals on used touring cars that are already set up for VTA. Either way, you don't have to spend a bunch to get involved.
My plan right now is to pick up a used TC3 or TC4 (non FT) due to local parts support. Also been looking at used cyclones and a XXXS although parts will be harder to get. Was thinking about an OFNA JL-10e but will pass on the fiberglass chassis (I broke a few of those back in the day). I will take a look at a TA-05.
__________________
Bill
"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
Team Qik
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #8996
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
My plan right now is to pick up a used TC3 or TC4 (non FT) due to local parts support. Also been looking at used cyclones and a XXXS although parts will be harder to get. Was thinking about an OFNA JL-10e but will pass on the fiberglass chassis (I broke a few of those back in the day). I will take a look at a TA-05.
Used TA05R or IFS-R....get one. I don't know how to explain it....the car just WORK...indoor and outdoor, rubber or foam, stock or MOD....$150 plastic car just did everything like those $400 car does....way better then TC4 or TC4 (still prefer belt over shaft).
Solara is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #8997
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 78
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
One of my favorite VTA videos, and it's not even one where I won.

That was a great race!!!
slashman4x4 is offline  
Old 08-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #8998
Tech Elite
 
Greg Sharpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ...building minis
Posts: 3,237
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashman4x4 View Post
That was a great race!!!
Yes, and it illustrates that new chassis are not needed. The winner had a forgotten TC3, there was a TA05, a mid-motor JRXS, an old Kyosho BD of some sort, an Xray FK0somethingorother, etc. The racing is close, all the cars are on a relatively even keel at those speeds (no ESC timing) and they're cheap to run.
__________________
Why don't we endurance race more often?
Greg Sharpe is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #8999
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 289
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
Yes, and it illustrates that new chassis are not needed. The winner had a forgotten TC3, there was a TA05, a mid-motor JRXS, an old Kyosho BD of some sort, an Xray FK0somethingorother, etc. The racing is close, all the cars are on a relatively even keel at those speeds (no ESC timing) and they're cheap to run.
Imagine that!
woodys3b is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #9000
Tech Addict
 
GP40X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 720
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
My plan right now is to pick up a used TC3 or TC4 (non FT) due to local parts support. Also been looking at used cyclones and a XXXS although parts will be harder to get. Was thinking about an OFNA JL-10e but will pass on the fiberglass chassis (I broke a few of those back in the day). I will take a look at a TA-05.
After reading the entire JL10e thread on this forum, I may go ahead and give it a chance. Seems most of the TC3s & TC4s on the auction sight that will not be named go for way too much for what they are.
__________________
Bill
"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
Team Qik
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Georgia Vintage Trans Am Racing shadow102 Georgia Racing 725 02-24-2012 09:56 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Thursday Vintage Trans Am racing at Victory in Green Bay Brian F Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 13 05-10-2008 08:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:19 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net