R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #8656
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhberger View Post
Good advice from pejota and Evo. VTA is only slow vs RCGT on the straights -- both are limited by tire grip in the infield and there's very little corner-speed difference between them. The key to enjoyable and challenging VTA racing is having a good track layout. Since you guys are "new," give some extra thought to how you layout your track. A sweeper that ends in a decreasing radius is a good challenge and provides a good risk/reward at the end of a straight. Esses are a good test of chassis transition and driver timing. A long constant radius turn tests car balance and driver throttle control. Sneak in an off-camber turn and see who has the patience to take it at the correct speed. Be devious.

If everyone can just drive around with the throttle clamped (VTA at Talladega?), you have the wrong track layout. If you just want to go fast in a straight line, run 13.5 TC with open speedos. You will go fast. If you want to have fun, attract new racers and keep your budget manageable, go VTA.
Plus 1

Scale racing must also mean scale layouts....I'll admit that VTA is a turnoff on large touring tracks. Not too many people want to crawl down a straightaway when they're used to touring/nitro speeds.

Smaller/tighter tracks are the way to go to increase the VTA fun factor (IMHO)

If anyone is racing on a large touring layout, see if there is some creative ways to use only part of the track.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #8657
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ditto the advice on track layout.

Our track is 80x32 when the other side of parking lot is being used for motorcycle driver's school. And that ends up being just about every weekend.

I'd describe our track as an indoor carpet track, but it's outside on concrete. Very tight and technical with lap times ranging in the low 11s if we open it up to mid 14s or 15s if we throw in a lot of 180* turns.

Makes for some great driving and my skills have improved greatly in the last year and transferred well to the larger outdoor track in Orlando.

And as a funny aside, we've had some "hardcore" drivers show up and complain that the track is too small and they can't drive it.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #8658
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Ditto the advice on track layout.

Our track is 80x32 when the other side of parking lot is being used for motorcycle driver's school. And that ends up being just about every weekend.

I'd describe our track as an indoor carpet track, but it's outside on concrete. Very tight and technical with lap times ranging in the low 11s if we open it up to mid 14s or 15s if we throw in a lot of 180* turns.

Makes for some great driving and my skills have improved greatly in the last year and transferred well to the larger outdoor track in Orlando.

And as a funny aside, we've had some "hardcore" drivers show up and complain that the track is too small and they can't drive it.

I have been into this rc racing for more than 20 years. I have noticed that a lot of"hardcore" drivers, have a hard time on tracks that are technical, and they cant rely on the speed of the motor. just my 2cents
Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #8659
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default VTA Tires

After figuring out I can glue my fingers together is there anywhere you can purchase pre-mounted vintage tires? If so who sells them?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #8660
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Are you using the the thick CA glue? That thinner stuff will run all over the place; including your fingers.

I'm currently using Great Planes Thick CA- Slow Cure. Glue one side and let it cure for about 30 minutes before you go to the other side.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #8661
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Micah, I use a hypodermic needle to glue my tires, works awesome. I'm lucky enough to have a supply of them because of my diabetic cat. I'll bring you a couple tonight if you're there.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #8662
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOTRC View Post
THANKS GUYS,WE ARE IN FT WALTON BEACH.
MY MOTOR WAS HOT WITH A 23/72,HOT WITH A 27/72...CAN'T FATHOM A 35/72,HOW DO YOU KEEP THE BRUSHED MOTOR COOL ?
WE JUST GOT OUR TRACK,WE HAVE HAD A DIRT TRACK FOR EVER,A LOT OF THE GUYS ARE ALLREADY SCREAMING VTA IS TO SLOW AND WANT TO RUN IT WITH 2S LIPO 27T OR 17.5
we tried this formula as well...but not because of speed...it was what we already had....but as time went on the 21.5/lipo with esc restrictions was the best option for VTA as a whole...we wish we went that direction to start with and would not have wasted time and money...and now with the 25.5 in Sept...its going to be the best of the best for VTA..
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 05-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #8663
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'N_Slow View Post
After figuring out I can glue my fingers together is there anywhere you can purchase pre-mounted vintage tires? If so who sells them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Are you using the the thick CA glue? That thinner stuff will run all over the place; including your fingers.

I'm currently using Great Planes Thick CA- Slow Cure. Glue one side and let it cure for about 30 minutes before you go to the other side.

Can't recommend them enough, I use them with Zap thin CA they fit the bottle perfect and work great

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBKM0&P=ML
Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #8664
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
we tried this formula as well...but not because of speed...it was what we already had....but as time went on the 21.5/lipo with esc restrictions was the best option for VTA as a whole...we wish we went that direction to start with and would not have wasted time and money...and now with the 25.5 in Sept...its going to be the best of the best for VTA..
One of the other local racers swung by and ran some laps with us today. We all agree, the VTA class will go pretty much ROAR spec, and the GT class will run the 13.5s that we(the locals we're trying to get into this race) all have from off road. 2S lipo on 27T brushed is fun, but will get old fast. We even tried it 4 cell nimh to see how it would go:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Bug_Bite_...750&st=0&#last
Old 05-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #8665
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Can't recommend them enough, I use them with Zap thin CA they fit the bottle perfect and work great

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBKM0&P=ML
these look like they would work much better than the flexible tubing i was using...thanks for posting
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #8666
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

New Rule: All cars must run this exhaust system---

Just kidding

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #8667
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
[B][I]New Rule: ....Just kidding
Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #8668
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

What the heck. 1/12 cars have had roll-over antennas since pretty much the dawn of time...now VTA cars can have roll-over exhaust pipes.

I'm on it Boss.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #8669
Tech Champion

I saw some Barbie legs sticking out the window once too. That should have some rollover resistance as well.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #8670
Tech Regular

Shouldn't the exhaust system be glass packs?
Closed Thread