R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #8551
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anybody still have the result from the last VTA Nats? IIRC, i thought the top 10 was made up of several different chassis, old and new.

Anyone have some local results they can post? In Palm Bay we're running XXX-S, Pro4, TC3, TC4, Corraly Phi, Cyclone TC... Heck, i have a TT-01 i'm thinking of throwing down to see if it can hang.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #8552
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

might be on the HPI site...

http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2009021102/
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #8553
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarr View Post
Because, at the slower speeds VTA is intended to be at, all the high dollar technowizardry chassis have no advantage over the old stuff.(driver skill being equal)
JCarr has it right -- with the real reason being the power. The 21.5 doesn't overpower the chassis, and a chassis that isn't built to handle high power can run a little freer. Think of putting a 1600cc Formula Ford engine in a modern F1 car and running it against older FF chassis. On most tracks, the old chassis would clean up, all other things being equal. My TC3 is quicker off the corner and a little faster down the straight than my TC5. But the TC5 handles better, so I crash less. In the end they are pretty equal. Put a 10.5 and turbo esc in them and it's no contest -- the TC5 will come into its own.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #8554
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

With the idea being a cheaper class to race, the rules only allow novak electronics, So why not put a limit on the chasis also? USVTA says that the chasis needs to be at least 1 generation old, so how are the tc5s legal? I say limit it to TC4 or older for those on the CBR racing team.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #8555
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14 View Post
... USVTA says that the chasis needs to be at least 1 generation old, so how are the tc5s legal? ....
Perhaps your intended meaning was lost on me, but the rules don't actually say that.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #8556
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejota View Post
Anyone have some local results they can post? In Palm Bay we're running XXX-S, Pro4, TC3, TC4, Corraly Phi, Cyclone TC... Heck, i have a TT-01 i'm thinking of throwing down to see if it can hang.
At the Hobby Plex in Omaha.
Last wednesday the order of finish was (chassis):

JRXS Type R
T1 FK04
TA05
T1 FK04
JRXS Type R
T1 FK04
TC5
TA05R
T2
XXX-S
T1 FK04
TA05R

There are a couple IFS-R cars that usually finish near the top. And a TC3 that shows up and usually does pretty well.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #8557
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
With the idea being a cheaper class to race, the rules only allow novak electronics, So why not put a limit on the chasis also? USVTA says that the chasis needs to be at least 1 generation old, so how are the tc5s legal? I say limit it to TC4 or older for those on the CBR racing team.
Really no need to and probably not a good idea. Everyone should have the opportunity to buy the chassis they like and can afford.
The moral of the story is that the chassis doesn't make you faster....the driving does. Until someone can DEFINITELY say that a TC5 has an advantage over a XXXS in the hands of equal drivers then we should leave chassis choice alone. As a xxxs driver I surely don't feel at a disadvantage. That might be a similar sentiment for many who are driving older cars.The motor/esc and tires play a much bigger part in that equation and VTA has that covered.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #8558
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Old is new

Quote:
The spirit of the USVTA rules is close competition at a low cost with minimum complexity. It's not a one-make class like TCS, but does have an official "engine supplier." To their credit, Novak has made a commitment to the series and offers and powertrain at a very reasonable price. If everyone runs a Novak, then no one has a power advantage.

A chassis is not so cut and dried. I think everyone will agree that a well-setup older chassis will be quicker around the track than a poorly-setup brand new chassis. And with VTA power, there's not a huge difference between them even if both are setup well. There are a lot of older chassis out there that have been given new racing life because of the VTA rules.

That's a good thing.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #8559
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I honestly think the speeds of the cars and the tire rules keep things slow enough that it's not a huge deal what car you have. I know one of the fastest guys locally runs a TA05 with a GTB against everybody and is always top 5 material, against any other car. When you are on the ragged edge, in other regular sedan classes, the tuneability makes a difference in getting your car driveable. In fact I remember talking to my buddy Seaball, who has made plenty of A mains at national level event, and he told me that his old TC3 would do the same hot laps as his newer car. It was just harder to drive and would do less of the fast laps. New cars aren't necessarily faster, they're just easier to go faster with.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #8560
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

With all the influence of the TransAm leadership and membership, it's too bad that Associated doesn't re-issue the TC3.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #8561
Tech Master

I think I would buy one When I was younger and could drive better I did pretty good with that tub chassis. That's one of the reasons I bought my new car, a TA05 ver.2. The other reason is I 'll finally have something to run at a tcs race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
With all the influence of the TransAm leadership and membership, it's too bad that Associated doesn't re-issue the TC3.

Last edited by outlandr91; 04-20-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #8562
Tech Rookie

are there any esc rules for vta ? went on the vta web but nothing there in the rules for esc.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #8563
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfunnn View Post
are there any esc rules for vta ? went on the vta web but nothing there in the rules for esc.
Coming soon

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/2010rules.pdf

Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #8564
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
I think I would buy one When I was younger and could drive better I did pretty good with that tub chassis. That's one of the reasons I bought my new car, a TA05 ver.2. The other reason is I 'll fially have something to run at a tcs race.
This car is the sickness. Mine has been getting good

Old 04-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #8565
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfunnn View Post
or check with your local club to see what they allow...most tracks have started using the current rules with restrictions on the esc's with advance timming, until Sept 2010
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Closed Thread