R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #8386
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to flat4

So is eny one running a spool up front in there VTA cars? And what shock oil would you recomend for using on asphalt?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #8387
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

I always run a spool in VTA.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 03-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #8388
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

i've never run anything BUT a spool in my VTA car

i'd suggest finding a rubber tire setup for your chassis and use that as a starting point..i know for my cyclone, the box setup works very well with the vta tires

and i've seen a bunch of guys running the Cyclone "S" with the outta the box setups and they've been hooking up well...
Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #8389
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to flat4

ahhh, this is on a ae TC4
Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #8390
Tech Champion

TC4's make EXCELLENT VTA cars. Ran the heck out of mine, won a lot of races with it. Never ran it with anything but a spool out front. I would argue that under the original Vintage TA spec (lower power) and the spec VTA goes to this coming fall that a well set-up TC4 (or TC3) with their shaft drive and a spool may well be an advantage as it puts ALL (of what little there is) power to the ground RIGHT now.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #8391
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation Re...Spool

Is a spool the same as a locked diff?????
Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #8392
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL View Post
Is a spool the same as a locked diff?????
kinda the same thing...

normally a spool is a dedicated part that doesn't have any diff action (solid connectors from outdrive to outdrive)...the locked diff may or may not have diff action (because it has the 'guts' of a diff, just tightened all the way down to have little to no play)

i've run both in micro - and depending on the layout, the locked diff sometimes worked better
Old 03-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #8393
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
kinda the same thing...

normally a spool is a dedicated part that doesn't have any diff action (solid connectors from outdrive to outdrive)...the locked diff may or may not have diff action (because it has the 'guts' of a diff, just tightened all the way down to have little to no play)

i've run both in micro - and depending on the layout, the locked diff sometimes worked better
But if you dont have a spool and a diff is it then I would run it really tight up front and in the back, not loose but pretty smooth with some resistance to it.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #8394
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
TC4's make EXCELLENT VTA cars. Ran the heck out of mine, won a lot of races with it. Never ran it with anything but a spool out front. I would argue that under the original Vintage TA spec (lower power) and the spec VTA goes to this coming fall that a well set-up TC4 (or TC3) with their shaft drive and a spool may well be an advantage as it puts ALL (of what little there is) power to the ground RIGHT now.
ROck On!! I too run a TC4 and it is awesome but how do you put a spool which im assuming is for belt driven cars mine has a gear,diff type thing front and rear
Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #8395
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLIE BROWN View Post
ROck On!! I too run a TC4 and it is awesome but how do you put a spool which im assuming is for belt driven cars mine has a gear,diff type thing front and rear
The Associated TC5 slipper spool pads which replace the diff rings should also fit the TC4.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #8396
Tech Champion

Quote:
they make on for shaft cars as well..HPI has one for the Pro4 and Tamiya makes one for the Evo-series

here's one on ebay right now - http://cgi.ebay.com/Associated-TC4-F...item4839324bd8

if you can get this, just tighten down the front diff until you don't get any slipping anymore...on my dirt oval TC3, I pulled the thrust bearings and diff balls out and used a different locking kind of nut to lock my front diff
Old 03-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #8397
Tech Champion

Quote:
For the TC3-TC4 the spool is like a solid axle through the middle with outdrive cups on both ends for the inboard CVD ends (just like a diff). The ring gear from the diff bolts right to the flange on the spool (again, just like on the diff) and the spool rides in the same carrier bearings (the big ones) as the diff does. But it's a solid piece. I've got aluminum ones from IRS and (I think) BMI (you MUST use IRS pin-cushions in the inboard CVD end with aluminum outdrive cups) and a couple "lightened" steel Associated FT ones. Any of 'em work fine.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #8398
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
they make on for shaft cars as well..HPI has one for the Pro4 and Tamiya makes one for the Evo-series

here's one on ebay right now - http://cgi.ebay.com/Associated-TC4-F...item4839324bd8

if you can get this, just tighten down the front diff until you don't get any slipping anymore...on my dirt oval TC3, I pulled the thrust bearings and diff balls out and used a different locking kind of nut to lock my front diff
wait I think i already have this on my car thanx for link
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #8399
Tech Champion

Quick and easy way to tell (provided everything is working how it's supposed to...) what you've got inside that diff case...

Holding the driveshaft by the spur gear so it won't turn try to turn one of the front wheels both directions.

You have a diff if the other front wheel turns in the opposite direction

You have a one-way if the other front wheel turns with you when you're turning the wheel backwards and does nothing when you turn forward.

You have a spool (or a locked up diff) if the opposite wheel turns the same way, forward and back, as the one you are turning.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #8400
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The Associated TC5 slipper spool pads which replace the diff rings should also fit the TC4.
How does that work? Maybe a better question would be what does it do to the handling of the car? It sounds like a spool with a slipper clutch on it.