Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #8281
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI JOE View Post
Scottrik, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I think penalties such as "black flagging" or "pulling off to the side till the other car is put back on the track" is silly. Knocking someone out for personal gain is usually obvious and never tolerated at any level. At our home track, VTA seems to be the most popular class...consistently having the largest number of entries. Not only that, it also seems to draw the largest crowd of spectators! And for good reason! The slowest class is action packed from start to finish!

Next fall, my 5yr old son will probably be slinging a used XXX-S around the track. Now, if the guy running an X-RAY T3 with tire warmers and a laptop wants to join in , god bless him. But, if you think for a minute im going to punish my kid and put his car in "time out" for causing a first turn debacle just so "THAT GUY" does'nt get his panties in a bunch, your crazy. Where else can a beginner learn to love and enjoy this hobby? Not on the sidelines! Mix it up and enjoy the action, its a toy car for cryin out loud.

I'm not thinking you're understanding what I'm trying to describe. First turn stuff is first turn stuff. After that, if you hit someone from behind (basically if you hit someone with the front of your car) you should pull to the side to let them back by. Not pull off the track and not get to race anymore. If it's done voluntarily (as it should be) it's usually no big deal. If you keep going and the race director tells you to hold up and wait for the person THAT'S what I mean by "black flag". What you will find is that the quality of driving improves DRAMATICALLY (i.e. FAR fewer such incidents by either experienced OR inexperienced drivers).

A parallel with slot racing...I used to do a lot of slot racing and I'd watch dads eagerly trying to get their kids interested in it. One of the things I'd notice is that as long as dad was fetching the car back onto the track the kid would "be a kid", crashing off quite a bit. I made a suggestion to one such dad that he should let his son retrieve the car and put it back on. Sure as heck, the kid's driving improved to the point where he very rarely came off. We started making the same suggestion to other dads and invariably had the same result. The idea is that accidents happen...but when there's absolutely no "penalty" for having them they happen a LOT more often than they need to. Part of learning, whether it's slot cars or RC cars.

Hey, ya'll do what you want, I'm merely observing that I see a lot of chisel action that can't be justified. And when stuff like that goes on it impedes everybody.

My OTHER pet peeve is folks just shooting back into the racing line after they've gone off and taking themselves BACK out and some poor schmoe out as well who was just driving his lines. Oddly enough, these two elements (take-outs and rejoining perpendicularly to the racing line regardless who or what is there) are VERY closely related and neither is necessary.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #8282
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm with Joe again. In most cases a semi-sincere "sorry bout that, dude" is sufficient. If you have impeccable manners and want to pull over until the guy you hacked goes by, that's up to you, but I think it's better to keep moving than to sit on the track and wait for somebody else to hit you. There will always be the rock ape who thinks he's #3 reincarnated and will cluelessly drive through anything and anybody. Good luck getting him to observe the "stop and wait" rule.

Common sense should rule. If there are enough entries, a track can have Sportsman and Expert classes to keep frustrations at a minimum. If someone is causing havoc out of ignorance, maybe one of the Experts should give him a few pointers. Even the Experts make mistakes. If you mess up, you know it. I've watched a lot of RC races and in most club-level heats, if drivers had to take a time out every time they f'd up, there wouldn't be anybody left on the track. That said, if someone is really a jerk, they should be asked to leave.

Every track or club has a personality -- some are loose and easygoing, others are strict and buttoned-down. So I guess every operator should run their deal the way they want. This is a hobby for me and I just want to have fun.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #8283
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
I made a suggestion to one such dad that he should let his son retrieve the car and put it back on. Sure as heck, the kid's driving improved to the point where he very rarely came off.
That almost, alllllllllllmost, makes me want to try racing without marshals. MMMMMMMMMMaybe not.

about that other thing. I still havent gotten any responses from the industry. I dont think Im going to get any help with this.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #8284
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I have to agree with Scottrik on this issue. Accidents happen, but the right thing to do (and most tracks actually have a rarely enforced rule) is to pull out of the racing line until the person you wrecked passes you. It creates a better race environment by keeping tempers and takeouts down. At our club races, we usually apologize before the race, and most will wait for the wrecked car to at least catch back up before continuing.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #8285
Tech Champion

I have seen that "Gentlemans pause" after an upset pass. Especially if the lead car is disturbed too much to keep a clean line or if it is bad enough to require marshal intervention. But I have seen that pause be interrupted when positions are about to be lost.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #8286
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to rinkrat99
Default JrXs Gearing

Hi all

I am putting a 21.5 brushless into my JrXs Original and am curious what you are running to meet the gearing spec.

For a 21.5 Lipo class the gearing should be 4.2 to 4.6 FDR

With a 118 spur I can fit a 47/48 pinion which gets me a 4.594 or 4.499

Since I didn't have a 108 spur in the box, what range can I get with a 108 spur?

Are most of you running the PRS Spur adapter and if so what spurs are you running?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #8287
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Had a good time of running VTA again. The cop car body was done and it has the battle scars to show Was funny though with the lights and siren going. need to up the voltage to make them louder etc. May just run a straight 9V to them.

I did a few more setup changes, went a variety of ways to try and get the tractioning rolling to quit and playing with roll centers seemed to help a bit, but the traction really came up and it was there again, albeit, not as bad.

I am thinking that may still be the way to go, as each full setup change I went with, the car pretty much wanted to handle the same other than the traction rolling went too soft and it was really bad.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #8288
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rced1 View Post
Robk, from reading your post on the rules is Harbour Hobbies allowing oneways for the USVTA SCALE CHAMPIONSHIPS?
We will be NOT be allowing one-ways of any kind for the event in VTA.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #8289
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Punting/driving through a slower car is easy. Finding a way to make a clean pass makes me a better driver. VTA has helped make me a better driver.

Unfortunately for the 2nd time in 3 weeks, I was leading in the main and had a small mechanical issue take me out. On Sunday I lost the bottom screw out of my steering knuckle. I still left with a smile due to the some of the good racing on the track.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #8290
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Had a good time of running VTA again. The cop car body was done and it has the battle scars to show Was funny though with the lights and siren going. need to up the voltage to make them louder etc. May just run a straight 9V to them.

I did a few more setup changes, went a variety of ways to try and get the tractioning rolling to quit and playing with roll centers seemed to help a bit, but the traction really came up and it was there again, albeit, not as bad.

I am thinking that may still be the way to go, as each full setup change I went with, the car pretty much wanted to handle the same other than the traction rolling went too soft and it was really bad.
i like that cop car makes me want to do one when HPI comes out with a Firebird
Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #8291
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
I'm not thinking you're understanding what I'm trying to describe. First turn stuff is first turn stuff. After that, if you hit someone from behind (basically if you hit someone with the front of your car) you should pull to the side to let them back by. Not pull off the track and not get to race anymore. If it's done voluntarily (as it should be) it's usually no big deal. If you keep going and the race director tells you to hold up and wait for the person THAT'S what I mean by "black flag". What you will find is that the quality of driving improves DRAMATICALLY (i.e. FAR fewer such incidents by either experienced OR inexperienced drivers).

A parallel with slot racing...I used to do a lot of slot racing and I'd watch dads eagerly trying to get their kids interested in it. One of the things I'd notice is that as long as dad was fetching the car back onto the track the kid would "be a kid", crashing off quite a bit. I made a suggestion to one such dad that he should let his son retrieve the car and put it back on. Sure as heck, the kid's driving improved to the point where he very rarely came off. We started making the same suggestion to other dads and invariably had the same result. The idea is that accidents happen...but when there's absolutely no "penalty" for having them they happen a LOT more often than they need to. Part of learning, whether it's slot cars or RC cars.

Hey, ya'll do what you want, I'm merely observing that I see a lot of chisel action that can't be justified. And when stuff like that goes on it impedes everybody.

My OTHER pet peeve is folks just shooting back into the racing line after they've gone off and taking themselves BACK out and some poor schmoe out as well who was just driving his lines. Oddly enough, these two elements (take-outs and rejoining perpendicularly to the racing line regardless who or what is there) are VERY closely related and neither is necessary.
it makes more sense... although out here if you get punted its either your fault due to bad line or going too slow or the track is slippery but anyway: that is a good concept for slot cars there
Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #8292
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ok there is TA in the carpets Nats now for 2010 so who all is in
Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #8293
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
We will be NOT be allowing one-ways of any kind for the event in VTA.
Interesting decision Eric........
You have helped me make mine.
One would think with VTA being a "slower" class that a one-way would be less of an issue, yet one-ways are allowed in the "faster" classes.
Something to ponder.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #8294
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414MPH View Post
Interesting decision Eric........
You have helped me make mine.
One would think with VTA being a "slower" class that a one-way would be less of an issue, yet one-ways are allowed in the "faster" classes.
Something to ponder.
But not nearly as beneficial... I mean you need brakes in fast classes, brakes and oneways don't jive.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #8295
Tech Adept

I am going to build up a VTA car, just wanted to know if any of the specs are different from the 2008 rule book from the first page of the thread. I havent raced a TC since schumacher came out with the original mission. I am hoping to get back into r/c with my son who found all of my old stuff tucked away in the attic.

Thanks, Karl
Closed Thread