Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trerc
If you already have the car that chassis is perfectly legal for use in TransAm.
I am guessing I would just need to swap out the motor/battery, tires, and body on my HPI Sprint 2 Drift?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

correct. We have a guy at our track who uses one, though, the flux system does cog with the 21.5 motors . I don't know if he has tried tuning it some to help, but you probably want to change that too.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Immo
I am guessing I would just need to swap out the motor/battery, tires, and body on my HPI Sprint 2 Drift?
Your best bet is to purchase the $129 Havoc/25.5 combo from Novak. Novaks motor is sensored and your ESC is not, it will run, but it won't run very well.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trerc
Your best bet is to purchase the $129 Havoc/25.5 combo from Novak. Novaks motor is sensored and your ESC is not, it will run, but it won't run very well.
Is it available yet?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Cool

Novak is working on the VTA storefront now. NovakTwo will keep us all posted on the availability I'm sure.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So, the big motor question:
Do I get the SS 25.5 or do I buy the Ballistic 25.5?

If the two perform the same, then why sell both items? I've never seen a business model where identical products are sold to the same market demographic. Shouldn't the SS be retired in favor of the Ballistic if they are the same?

If one performs better, which one?

Should I buy both, find the gearing sweet spot for each, and install the appropriate motor for the appropriate sized track every week?

So far, all I know is that my SS 21.5 runs faster and cooler than one buddy's Ballistic 21.5 with the EXACT same motor & ESC settings and FDR.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

In a dedicated TransAm car I feel the SS does the trick just as well. I could see using the Ballistic say if you run 17.5 rubber sometimes but occasionally run 13.5 with the same car then a Ballistic would be a good option.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

the differance between the 2 is that the ballistic has adjustable timing and interchangeable wound stator's where the SS pro's do not.

if you do mutiple class races with differant motors i would get the ballistic. if you race just one class then i would say the SS
Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigshow4u
the differance between the 2 is that the ballistic has adjustable timing and interchangeable wound stator's where the SS pro's do not.

if you do mutiple class races with differant motors i would get the ballistic. if you race just one class then i would say the SS
Excellent answer. I can't believe I forgot you can crack the can open and replace the rotors. That post just reminded me that you can replace the sensor wire on the Ballistics while that is built into the SS.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Having both the Ballistic AND the SS Pro versions will make two different price-points available for racers. The perfectly serviceable SS Pro at a slightly lower price for folks who don't care if it can be made into a different wind motor with the addition of a different stator assembly OR the option to spend a bit more money and have the flexibility of the Ballistic where they CAN alter the motor spec.

An additional reason to purchase the Ballistic over the SS Pro for now would be that at this point the 21.5 motor is the standard and we know the 25.5 will be the standard starting next fall. If someone is just starting out and buys the SS Pro 21.5 they will need to purchase another complete motor OR trade their SS for another SS via the Novak exchange (at current rates about $50 to do so). If they purchase the Ballistic all they would need to meet the new standard next fall would be to purchase a $35 25.5 stator assembly.

Or, you can do like me and LOVE the black-n-copper look of the Ballistic...I just can't say no.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

i think i will get the ballistic. I have the 17.5 SS pro now, but since the rule change coming up, i can tell the wife i need a new motor now! LOL (Gotta wait till tax time though.)

that and trying to get a lipo in a JRX-S pro is my current project. But so far its going good.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Initiate

After reading these last few pages on discussion of the new USVTA rule changes, I am discouraged at the lack of concern for spending even more money to stay legal. Maybe I should race the short course trucks. Fun and affordability like VTA was before this change.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 7 celler
After reading these last few pages on discussion of the new USVTA rule changes, I am discouraged at the lack of concern for spending even more money to stay legal. Maybe I should race the short course trucks. Fun and affordability like VTA was before this change.
Ahh you should've read back a few more pages, you must've started around where we were getting over the extra expense.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Besides running your favorite brand what would you guy's say is the most durable body on the market for VTA?
Old 01-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 7 celler
i can see where your coming from but it is all about working all the "Kinks" out for a fun and competitive class. from what i have read, they are just trying to keep everything even for door to door racing. Basically it all boils down to the driver's performance. Which is what racing is all about. Hopefully though this will be the last change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.