R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #7561
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

I'd like to see the Corvette body and the new HPI D compound tires be allowed under the new rules. I don't see why either one of these would be an issue, I think HPI sort of designed them both for this class anyway.
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..
trerc is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #7562
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
For the sake of my argument I would like to divide racers into two groups.

1. The traveling racer. You go to races two to five hours away every weekend. You have several thousand dollars invested in gear. A weekend cost you fifty to eighty bucks a night or more. Gas cost you a couple hundred as well. Not to mention dinner every night. You are the guy who needs to move the Tekin RS or RS Pro over to your RCGT car and invest in the legal Novak system.
This is a racer who should not be racing vintage trans am. Maybe it's me but I thought the VTA class was a just put something down and have fun with it class. It was never meant to be a full on racing class that apparently it's becoming. You want to go racing, run regular touring car. If chasing technology is your thing, then that's the class you really want to be in. The reason for the very specific rules concerning the motor, tires, and bodies was to keep technology out of the class as much as possible. Now I know you're gonna say wait a minute there's no restriction on chassis, but that actually makes the class a little cheaper. Any used car on the market can be used in VTA, and I really don't think anyone is going to spend $500 on an X-Ray T3 to run it in VTA. And if they did, you really don't want that person running VTA anyway.
jiml is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #7563
Tech Master
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
I'd like to see the Corvette body and the new HPI D compound tires be allowed under the new rules. I don't see why either one of these would be an issue, I think HPI sort of designed them both for this class anyway.
At this point I'm going to ask why the hell are you racing this class?

You want everything changed.
The class is called US VINTAGE TRANS-AM.

Try google- find me a Corvette that raced Trans Am in the same class as the Mustangs, Camaros and Cudas.
TwoTone is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #7564
Tech Master
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
This is a racer who should not be racing vintage trans am. Maybe it's me but I thought the VTA class was a just put something down and have fun with it class. It was never meant to be a full on racing class that apparently it's becoming. You want to go racing, run regular touring car. If chasing technology is your thing, then that's the class you really want to be in. The reason for the very specific rules concerning the motor, tires, and bodies was to keep technology out of the class as much as possible. Now I know you're gonna say wait a minute there's no restriction on chassis, but that actually makes the class a little cheaper. Any used car on the market can be used in VTA, and I really don't think anyone is going to spend $500 on an X-Ray T3 to run it in VTA. And if they did, you really don't want that person running VTA anyway.
My understanding from reading on here, USVTA was growing at several tracks at the same time with slightly different rules.

Apex took a combination of those rules and created a 'national' organization for that very purpose, keep rules consistent so you could travel to other tracks and know they were running the same rules.


And yes, plenty of people are buying the lastest chassis for VTA, the point of slowing it down/keeping it slow is to hopefully help eliminate any advantage the newer chassis have.
TwoTone is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #7565
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FLA
Posts: 415
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Do you know this for sure or have you just watched a lot of movies?
do you watch the news?
justanotherdude is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #7566
Tech Addict
 
wiscnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reedsburg,WI
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Ok I know im in the stone age because I just recently found out about the rule changes. Just one question though. why are they going to a slower motor I actualy thought it was a bad joke when my friend said 25.5. I raised the BS flag right away. OOPS thats called foot in mouth I'm all good with the Speedo change but why not keep the 21.5 that people already have? I don't realy have any complaints besides having to put in a silly driver figure but my racing has been sidelined till I find income again.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this! :)
wiscnitro is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #7567
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FLA
Posts: 415
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
I'd like to see the Corvette body and the new HPI D compound tires be allowed under the new rules. I don't see why either one of these would be an issue, I think HPI sort of designed them both for this class anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
At this point I'm going to ask why the hell are you racing this class?

You want everything changed.
The class is called US VINTAGE TRANS-AM.

Try google- find me a Corvette that raced Trans Am in the same class as the Mustangs, Camaros and Cudas.
i don't think he even gets the whole TA thing at all
justanotherdude is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #7568
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,833
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket3 View Post
that's because speedpassion isn't on here trying to help support the new rules or their current customers. With Tekin VTA software( which they said they would do) and the novak exchange program the cost would be $40 ish to conform to the new rules. Pretty SIMPLE HEY and affordable for everyone.

The Tekin with its ability to be hooked up to a computer is not within the rules....what dont you guys get? Thats seems pretty simple to most of us. The Novak and LRP esc are more affordable then the Tekin that is more affordable to everyone in my book.

For USVTA big races the simpliest way to tech is the LED or CHIME..then from there NO laptops allowed in the pits/ bld..whatever. Once the VTA software is in the ESC the buttons can only achive EXACTLY what the little GTB button can do.

The easiest way to tech is to see if everyone has a Novak or LRP esc thats on the list in their car.....much easier to tech. Then any question about anything is thrown out the door.


If the switch is simple and inexpensive the masses "nationally" would conform much easier, otherwise the class will still be cool and go on, but with so many different tracks threatening to allow different combo's...well there goes the "national" VTA.

If you sold your Tekin you could get more money in your pocket by going with the new rules....cant save more money then having money left over.


Only time will tell what happens to VTA in the end. And maybe the unemployement rate.
.
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....15th year running 2017/18!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #7569
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
At this point I'm going to ask why the hell are you racing this class?

You want everything changed.
The class is called US VINTAGE TRANS-AM.
Easy there professor we are still 9 mos away from the rule changes that (BTW) I had nothing to do with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Try google- find me a Corvette that raced Trans Am in the same class as the Mustangs, Camaros and Cudas.
I never said they raced with the Cudas, Camaros and Mustangs I just think it's a nice looking body that looks like it would hold up well. For nostalgic purposes the Parma bodies shouldn't be legal either but lets face it these are toy cars so I understand. By the way I run the Pegasus Mustang and don't plan on changing. I would like to try the other tires tho. I didn't think that was too outta line? The tires are produced by the same company they are the same same size and the same compound as the current tire, not asking to make slicks legal.
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..
trerc is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #7570
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,211
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
And yes, plenty of people are buying the lastest chassis for VTA, the point of slowing it down/keeping it slow is to hopefully help eliminate any advantage the newer chassis have.
Which is proof that no matter what class you come up with or what set of rules you decide on there's always going to be somebody who ruins it for everyone else.
jiml is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:30 AM   #7571
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
I never said they raced with the Cudas, Camaros and Mustangs I just think it's a nice looking body that looks like it would hold up well. For nostalgic purposes the Parma bodies shouldn't be legal either but lets face it these are toy cars so I understand. By the way I run the Pegasus Mustang and don't plan on changing. I would like to try the other tires tho. I didn't think that was too outta line? The tires are produced by the same company they are the same same size and the same compound as the current tire, not asking to make slicks legal.
The Vette body has been discussed ad nauseum in the past. Although it is a VERY cool body it's not historically appropriate. End of discussion.

1) As far as the tires, exactly how does it improve racing to add additional tires in. For that matter how does if further ANY of the goals of USVTA?

2) Why on earth would you "want to try the other tires tho(sic)" unless you thought you might find a performance advantage there? Then they'd get turned back like the programmable esc's have and you'd just have to piss and moan about that too. Sheeesh, even MOST TC programs I'm aware of are spec'ing a rubber tire. Why? To maintain competitive balance and save folk the time and expense of trying different tires. Spec a tire that works and it's done.
__________________
Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #7572
Tech Legend
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 29,548
Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default

If anyone here really thinks that a class where people actually RACE each other won't have those that want to win and will spec out to the limits of what is allowed, you should just do things where everyone gets a trophy and call it good. No class even one that limits everything won't stop someone who feels the need to do what they can to get an competitive edge within the rule limits.
__________________
Member - Red River Radio/Control Car Club
< Tekno EB48SL / SCT410.3 | Tekno EB410 x 2 | Yokomo YZ-2 DTM x 2 | LC Racing EMB-1 Buggies and Truggies >
Cain is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #7573
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
If anyone here really thinks that a class where people actually RACE each other won't have those that want to win and will spec out to the limits of what is allowed, you should just do things where everyone gets a trophy and call it good. No class even one that limits everything won't stop someone who feels the need to do what they can to get an competitive edge within the rule limits.
So what GOOD rules do is limit the competitive advantage that can be accrued. Then review those rules, periodically, to ensure they are serving the goals of the organization.
__________________
Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #7574
Tech Elite
 
Ray Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hackistan
Posts: 3,638
Default

Just my humble opinion, but after reading all the info so far, it is still up to each racing program to do what is best for them to promote the class on a local level.

This has been the case from day one.

No set of rules will be perfect for everyone....The whole purpose of the USVTA class is to run cool looking bodies and keep the costs and speeds down as much as possible....

That really is the bottom line and the main attraction to this class....

The people who get this concept will continue to support the USVTA while those who don't will probably move on.

I see the proposed new USVTA rules as the standard at "USVTA SPONSORED EVENTS", so everyone will be on the same page. It would be up to each individual racer if they wanted to run the new rules at a USVTA sponsored event.

On the local level, as long as we're close, we can still promote the class, and continue to build on it. The USVTA is not forcing us to conform to the new guidelines on the local levels.... just offering options given the new technology that is out now.

If you think all this new technology is out of control now, wait and see what is bound to come up in the next year or two!!!!

For us here in the Northeast, we are working with other local VTA programs to see what direction we'll be taking to keep the class growing and not lose the racer base that we have.

Personally, if you want closer/tighter vintage racing, instead of looking at advanced technology, look at the track size and surface.

Smaller, parking lot tracks will still be the best places to race this class. This tends to negate a lot of high tech stuff since speeds are much slower and chassis set up is way more important on a "less than perfect" lot.

Larger, purpose built tracks may need to get creative and find a way to design a smaller VTA course to keep the speeds down, and technology out of the picture as much as possible.

Don't sweat it guys, it's still a great class if you allow it to be....
__________________
Dee Lee is a nut and I don't condone what he will say next! (LOL)
WWSD....What Would Scooby Doo???
Ray Murray is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #7575
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,833
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Murray View Post
Just my humble opinion, but after reading all the info so far, it is still up to each racing program to do what is best for them to promote the class on a local level.

This has been the case from day one.

No set of rules will be perfect for everyone....The whole purpose of the USVTA class is to run cool looking bodies and keep the costs and speeds down as much as possible....

That really is the bottom line and the main attraction to this class....

The people who get this concept will continue to support the USVTA while those who don't will probably move on.

I see the proposed new USVTA rules as the standard at "USVTA SPONSORED EVENTS", so everyone will be on the same page. It would be up to each individual racer if they wanted to run the new rules at a USVTA sponsored event.

On the local level, as long as we're close, we can still promote the class, and continue to build on it. The USVTA is not forcing us to conform to the new guidelines on the local levels.... just offering options given the new technology that is out now.

If you think all this new technology is out of control now, wait and see what is bound to come up in the next year or two!!!!

For us here in the Northeast, we are working with other local VTA programs to see what direction we'll be taking to keep the class growing and not lose the racer base that we have.

Personally, if you want closer/tighter vintage racing, instead of looking at advanced technology, look at the track size and surface.

Smaller, parking lot tracks will still be the best places to race this class. This tends to negate a lot of high tech stuff since speeds are much slower and chassis set up is way more important on a "less than perfect" lot.

Larger, purpose built tracks may need to get creative and find a way to design a smaller VTA course to keep the speeds down, and technology out of the picture as much as possible.

Don't sweat it guys, it's still a great class if you allow it to be....
Bingo.....Nice post Ray
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....15th year running 2017/18!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Georgia Vintage Trans Am Racing shadow102 Georgia Racing 725 02-24-2012 09:56 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Thursday Vintage Trans Am racing at Victory in Green Bay Brian F Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 13 05-10-2008 08:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:17 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net