R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #736
Tech Initiate
 
racejoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10
Default

Just for what it is worth, I will throw in my opinion, observation or whatever you want to call it.

I am a newbie, heck not even a newbie yet, interested in getting into the RC Racing sport. I have a background in 1/32nd slot car racing, and have been involved in full scale racing.

From the point of few of someone looking into this sport..
1. Very confusing sport. So many options, there are rule sets, but so many modifications to the rules, etc.
2. Very expensive cost of entry into the sport
3. Very confusing on how to enter the sport

From that standpoint, I have to say the Vintage US Trans Am class is extremely welcoming.

I can buy a used chassis, an rtr kit, or whatever and don't have to worry about making the wrong choice. I get to learn how to drive and compete in a slower car. Learn how things work. I can start there, and can move into 1/10 TC and be able to take some of my tools, equipment, knowledge with me. The streamlined rule set is very attactive. I understand them, I like that it comes right down to part numbers, don't have to figure out what they mean. Hey, the cars are pretty cool looking too, that doesn't hurt.

A few observations on the 1/10 pan car approach. I certainly haven't exhausted all the available information and websites available on rc racing, but I don't see a whole lot of 1/10 pan car stuff out there. But hey, I just don't know that much about it. If you could come up with formula that makes a 1/10 pan car run similar to the 1/10 TC in Vintage Trans Am, would be possibly cool, but beware of overly complicating the rules and making too many options. From a person looking at getting in, the amount of options is a bit overwhelming.

So, I would like to give kudos to whoever is organizing the Vintage US Trans Am class, not that there couldn't be some other formulation out there that would work, but in it's current form, this is a very attractive class to the newcomer in the sport, and I guess that is part of the point.

Thanks.
__________________
Hot Bodies Cyclone S
racejoe is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #737
Tech Master
 
shadow102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,441
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRob40 View Post
Yeah, what I don't understand is how people can come in here and so happily accept anything without question, follow the lead buffalo off the cliff, and yet proudly proclaim their Amerian heritage yet have the nerve to hammer anyone that dares suggests something simple and easy as wrong just because they questioned authority.

How you ever could rationalize that this class "puts everyone an even playing field any more than any other TC "class" is beyond me. Exactly how is it equal?
And how you could ever think this would "teach a novice driver to become a better driver" or "teach a novice how to setup a car" tells me you either know something that I don't -- or that you are going to mystically impart knowledge via some Vulcan mind-meld technique while strolling around the pits. Good luck with that.

But what you are doing is supporting a new idea for a class of racing while intentionally attempting to justify taking to your own new playground while telling others they can't play too.
Is it because you're on a personal quest to form a class that you can win at instead of looking for ways to add more racers - or what?
even playing field is achieved by the fact that everyone is at the same mechanical grip level due to the tires, the minimum weight is achievable by just about the heaviest touring cars, and the motors brushless and brushed are limited to be equal...therefore everyone is on an even playing field you dont have to go out and buy some $450 rolling chassis just to hope to be competetive.

The cars remain slower due to the stock class motors and 4cells on the TC chassis therefore making it easier to control the car and also allowing the novice to learn car control. It also teaches a novice car setup as downforce and tire grip being removed from the equation they can see how suspension adjustments will effect the chassis they are running.

And i am following the rules not following some buffalo off the cliff. If thats the case then why do you race at all considering EVERY class has its set rules that are not debatable.

And i am not in this class because i am looking for something i can win at i am looking for a class thats not going to drain my bank account of every last penny and use the equipment i have laying around that has since become outdated.
__________________
Hot Bodies Cyclone - - TeamTekin - - Spektrum - - Team Orion - - Futaba

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #738
Tech Master
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,820
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I hope that 1/10 on-road pan car makes a comeback because that is where I started r/c racing over 20 years ago. However I don't think that currently it is a cheaper option. Most new 1/10 on-road kits are either conversion chassis for existing oval cars or completely new kits. I've checked a few of the currently available kits (CRC & Corally) and they list for over $300. The only other option is to try to find a used pan car which isn't always the best way to draw new racers.

For now the USVTA has created a class that is trying to bring some fun back into road course racing. If that helps breathe some new life back into 1/10 road course racing then I think that is a good thing. Racers can use their old tc and be competitive or even buy an inexpensive TC and be able to compete(TT-01/TB-02/T-Spec which all retail for less than $200)

I wonder how many people that this class is really taking from the other TC classes out ther. I for one am currently NOT racing any 1/10 TC on-road class. However, I am very interested in racing my old TC3 or HPI Pro2 in this class. The reason I would race in this class isn't to find a class I can win at (I have TC oval for that) but a class that is a good speed for todays tracks that can be fun.
IndyRC_Racer is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #739
Tech Elite
 
ChadRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 2,651
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

i am very interrested in this class. We are trying to get this going in georgia. As far as I am concern, this is a great class for anyone who is new to the sport and just want to have fun. I race TC mod but have a second chassis that is older and always like the look of these cars. ANd when we decided to try this i was all for it for the fun of it. WIN or LOSE.
__________________
ReVtech / Trinity / EAMotorsports

HotShot RC / Nexus Racing
Xray T2 '009 w/Exotek Chassis, BMI DB12rr, Tamiya F104X1
Team Durango DEX210
ChadRacing is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #740
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
even playing field is achieved by the fact that everyone is at the same mechanical grip level due to the tires, the minimum weight is achievable by just about the heaviest touring cars, and the motors brushless and brushed are limited to be equal...therefore everyone is on an even playing field you dont have to go out and buy some $450 rolling chassis just to hope to be competetive.
Then you haven't a clue what mechanical grip is, or how it's achieved.
But just to give you some insight, while tires play part of the role in this - chassis, let me say it louder so you can hear it, CHASSIS design and mechanics and set-up has the most to do with mechanical grip (notice the operative word, mechanical).
And this is the reason why so many folks have gotten away from TCs, to stay competitive in the scheme of achieving optimum mechanical grip manufacturers are constantly redesigning the wheel to push the envelope and enable their cars to get more traction.

And that, pal, eventually takes everyone wanting to win back to the same old game of "buy some $450 rolling chassis just to hope to be competetive."

And I don't care what you might think, any motor manufacturer will tell you that there is no way you can compare brushed to brushless motors, Plain and simple, ain't gonna happen - period, end of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
The cars remain slower due to the stock class motors and 4cells on the TC chassis therefore making it easier to control the car and also allowing the novice to learn car control. It also teaches a novice car setup as downforce and tire grip being removed from the equation they can see how suspension adjustments will effect the chassis they are running.
Since when is running stock motors, or limited them to 4-cells, a bastion of your new touring car class?
You can do that with any car, in any class - and I never mentioned that the "Lights" cars wouldn't follow this anyway. It's a great idea, and a needed one considering the cars lack of AERODYNAMIC GRIP.
And, just so you know, they're talking as we speak about 4-cell in Europe for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
And i am following the rules not following some buffalo off the cliff. If thats the case then why do you race at all considering EVERY class has its set rules that are not debatable.
Just to let you in on a dirty little secret --- THIS IS A NEW CLASS. FIRST YEAR EVER RUNNING. IT IS NOT ESTABLISHED. IT'S GOT NO HISTORY BACKING ITS PREMISE. And if one is going to get in on the ground floor of making change (or additions), or inquiring about it, it seems to make sense doing it sooner than later.
And name me one class of RC racing that HAS NOT changed its rules over the years. Cat got your tongue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
And i am not in this class because i am looking for something i can win at i am looking for a class thats not going to drain my bank account of every last penny and use the equipment i have laying around that has since become outdated.
Sure you are. You're taking your admited older TC, that wouldn't be competative elsewhere, or that you've already retired instead of staying current and racing with the bigboys --- and breaking it out to bash around with the new boys. You are after trophies, or you would have kept running your outdated stuff against the newer stuff in TC. Your argument doesn't hold water.
I've got nothing against pinching pennies, but once again you're suggesting that you TC boys (especially you ones with old beaters) should be the only ones allowed to play in the sandbox, or pinch pennies to go TA racing --- and it ain't right..........
RocketRob40 is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #741
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 421
Default

I'm really not interested in continuing this back and forth banter.........

.........for it's obvious that many of you have your opinions, as I have mine, and that we're not going to agree.

Your arguments for the idea that it's a great place for your old, dust collecting, no longer competitive in TC, steed to take back up where they left off doesn't hold water - if it did they'd still be considered top-of-the-line racers in TC. But the fact is they aren't any longer there, and there's no greater chance of them being that in TA.

I'm all for the TA bodies, I'm all for the majority of the rules (4-cells, stock motors, and spec tires keep costs down). But the harsh reality of it is that all this is doing is creating another non-areo, low grip tire, 4-cell, stock TC class - and I think that's been done before to some extent or another.
If that's what you'll be happy running, fine I'm happy for ya.
But make sure all of you guys defending everything set aside check back and chime in this time next year (but make sure you're all running all your old gear, and haven't upgraded).

All I WAS doing was attempting to offer another option for people, a way for more people to get into the hobby, a way for someone less knowledgable of TCs to show up and race and not get schooled, an additional class that could increase interest as well as car counts at TransAm events.

As I said all along, before all of you gang-tackled me, I was just trying to voice MY opinion and offer up another idea and another way of thinking about it.
RocketRob40 is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #742
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,588
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I don't think we are looking for something we can win at. We are looking for something we can race and have fun at. I have had plenty of losses in T/A. I have also laughed and had more fun on the drivers' stand in 5 or so months than I have in probably 10 years. I have seen more old faces coming out of the woodwork than I ever have. I have also seen more new guys than I have in years, and more spectators too.

Touring cars are cheap and easy to get, if you look around- Especially the plastic chassis cars. I listed all the outdated cars I have been beaten by. An unnamed Corally team driver was beaten (ahem) by a local with a Tamiya car at our track. Yeah, if he keeps at it, the Corally guy will be real fast in the class. The point, though, is that everybody has a fighting chance in there. And the cool factor is so high, we all enjoy the racing and have a ton of laughs, but still compete. Things would not be taking off like this if something was not going right.

So basically we want to grow what is working. Not that there isn't room for other stuff out there, but why not go with the momentum that has built?
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #743
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

RR40,
If you feel strongly enough about it, kick it around with the other racers and see if it "holds water".
If enough kids wanna play, the race director will surely set up a heat or 2.
Why wouldn't he?
So take "your" ball and see who wants to play by "your" rules.
That's what this guy did and it seems like a lot of kids wanna play by his rules.
F N CUDA is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #744
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRob40 View Post
I'm really not interested in continuing this back and forth banter.........

.........for it's obvious that many of you have your opinions, as I have mine, and that we're not going to agree.

Your arguments for the idea that it's a great place for your old, dust collecting, no longer competitive in TC, steed to take back up where they left off doesn't hold water - if it did they'd still be considered top-of-the-line racers in TC. But the fact is they aren't any longer there, and there's no greater chance of them being that in TA.

I'm all for the TA bodies, I'm all for the majority of the rules (4-cells, stock motors, and spec tires keep costs down). But the harsh reality of it is that all this is doing is creating another non-areo, low grip tire, 4-cell, stock TC class - and I think that's been done before to some extent or another.
If that's what you'll be happy running, fine I'm happy for ya.
But make sure all of you guys defending everything set aside check back and chime in this time next year (but make sure you're all running all your old gear, and haven't upgraded).

All I WAS doing was attempting to offer another option for people, a way for more people to get into the hobby, a way for someone less knowledgable of TCs to show up and race and not get schooled, an additional class that could increase interest as well as car counts at TransAm events.

As I said all along, before all of you gang-tackled me, I was just trying to voice MY opinion and offer up another idea and another way of thinking about it.

WTF man? What do you think this class is? How many times have you even ran T/A class ANYWHERE???? I think you're the one looking for a class "they can win at" other wise you would'nt be complaining. There are more than 20 T/A cars showing up a night every where they are racing. Grow a pair and come racing. THEN comment on how good or bad the class is. Otherwise quit ruining the theme of this AWESOME CLASS that ANYONE could do very well at......INCLUDING YOU. Run a X Ray T2 008...run a TC3....run a TL01, everyone has a equal shot.....and everyone has FUN!!!
RAPED APE is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #745
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I don't think we are looking for something we can win at. We are looking for something we can race and have fun at. I have had plenty of losses in T/A. I have also laughed and had more fun on the drivers' stand in 5 or so months than I have in probably 10 years. I have seen more old faces coming out of the woodwork than I ever have. I have also seen more new guys than I have in years, and more spectators too.

Touring cars are cheap and easy to get, if you look around- Especially the plastic chassis cars. I listed all the outdated cars I have been beaten by. An unnamed Corally team driver was beaten (ahem) by a local with a Tamiya car at our track. Yeah, if he keeps at it, the Corally guy will be real fast in the class. The point, though, is that everybody has a fighting chance in there. And the cool factor is so high, we all enjoy the racing and have a ton of laughs, but still compete. Things would not be taking off like this if something was not going right.

So basically we want to grow what is working. Not that there isn't room for other stuff out there, but why not go with the momentum that has built?
Thanks for the mature reply. It was much appreciated.

And as I said..... "If that's what you'll be happy running, fine I'm happy for ya.
But make sure all of you guys defending everything set aside check back and chime in this time next year (and make sure you're all running all your old gear, and haven't upgraded)."


No harm, no foul.............

Last edited by RocketRob40; 04-12-2008 at 12:51 AM.
RocketRob40 is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 12:48 AM   #746
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPED APE View Post
WTF man? What do you think this class is? How many times have you even ran T/A class ANYWHERE???? I think you're the one looking for a class "they can win at" other wise you would'nt be complaining. There are more than 20 T/A cars showing up a night every where they are racing. Grow a pair and come racing. THEN comment on how good or bad the class is. Otherwise quit ruining the theme of this AWESOME CLASS that ANYONE could do very well at......INCLUDING YOU. Run a X Ray T2 008...run a TC3....run a TL01, everyone has a equal shot.....and everyone has FUN!!!

Look I don't need your thinly-veiled profanity shouted at me.
I know exactly what the class is. And, realistically, since the so-called "class" hasn't really been around - seems as if you couldn't have run many TA races either. And while I can't be certain I've run more TransAm bodied races than you, I'm guessing you don't have a single national title on the shelf anywhere do you to back up your supposed expertise?
I'm NOT looking for a class, and I wasn't complaining - and you should really learn the difference between inquiring about, or offering up another option, or refuting lame excuses, and complaining. Look the word up in the dictionary if neccessary.
To tell the truth - my guess is I've "had a pair" back when you were still sucking mom's tit, so get over the tough guy talk and grow up.
And since when did they make YOU the official "if I don't like what someone else writes" -- God forbid someone actually has a freaking opinion -- "I'll cuss 'em out, chew 'em up and spit 'em out RCTech Forums police" ????
Oh, my mistake, you're a third-time poster --- and thus, coming in blasting away like that, puts you in the TROLL category.
RocketRob40 is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #747
Tech Elite
 
K_Spec_RC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Powder Springs, Ga
Posts: 2,734
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to K_Spec_RC
Default

Hey guys, i'm not sure how many people will use this... but I made a template of the HPI Cuda body for anyone looking to design a paint scheme. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-cuda.jpg  
__________________
HighVelocityRacing.com | TurtleTraxRaceway.com | itFitzDesign.wordpress.com | Misfitz Motorsports | Jconcepts | KO Propo | Tekin | Kyosho RB5 SP | Kyosho Ultima SC
K_Spec_RC is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:34 AM   #748
Tech Master
 
shadow102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,441
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRob40 View Post
Then you haven't a clue what mechanical grip is, or how it's achieved.
But just to give you some insight, while tires play part of the role in this - chassis, let me say it louder so you can hear it, CHASSIS design and mechanics and set-up has the most to do with mechanical grip (notice the operative word, mechanical).
And this is the reason why so many folks have gotten away from TCs, to stay competitive in the scheme of achieving optimum mechanical grip manufacturers are constantly redesigning the wheel to push the envelope and enable their cars to get more traction.

And that, pal, eventually takes everyone wanting to win back to the same old game of "buy some $450 rolling chassis just to hope to be competetive."

And I don't care what you might think, any motor manufacturer will tell you that there is no way you can compare brushed to brushless motors, Plain and simple, ain't gonna happen - period, end of story.



Since when is running stock motors, or limited them to 4-cells, a bastion of your new touring car class?
You can do that with any car, in any class - and I never mentioned that the "Lights" cars wouldn't follow this anyway. It's a great idea, and a needed one considering the cars lack of AERODYNAMIC GRIP.
And, just so you know, they're talking as we speak about 4-cell in Europe for next year.



Just to let you in on a dirty little secret --- THIS IS A NEW CLASS. FIRST YEAR EVER RUNNING. IT IS NOT ESTABLISHED. IT'S GOT NO HISTORY BACKING ITS PREMISE. And if one is going to get in on the ground floor of making change (or additions), or inquiring about it, it seems to make sense doing it sooner than later.
And name me one class of RC racing that HAS NOT changed its rules over the years. Cat got your tongue?



Sure you are. You're taking your admited older TC, that wouldn't be competative elsewhere, or that you've already retired instead of staying current and racing with the bigboys --- and breaking it out to bash around with the new boys. You are after trophies, or you would have kept running your outdated stuff against the newer stuff in TC. Your argument doesn't hold water.
I've got nothing against pinching pennies, but once again you're suggesting that you TC boys (especially you ones with old beaters) should be the only ones allowed to play in the sandbox, or pinch pennies to go TA racing --- and it ain't right..........
Have you ever even raced an RC car? There is just so much wrong with your argument against this class not too mention back to your original argument of running pan cars in vintage trans am as far as i know pan cars dont use hex hubs which also mean they cant use the wheels mandated by the rules which more or less means they cant us the tires also mandated by the rules. Plain and simple most of your TC hating nature doesnt leave you with much of a leg to stand on in this class
__________________
Hot Bodies Cyclone - - TeamTekin - - Spektrum - - Team Orion - - Futaba

www.nexusracing.com
www.go-rc.org
shadow102 is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 03:25 AM   #749
Tech Regular
 
deweycj5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: "i did it all for the wookiee"
Posts: 280
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

2 years ago i bought a nitro lst used form a guy...why...because i liked the way it looked. i had never raced a nitro so i knew nothing about the setup, how to tune, what springs and all the other stuff that goes along with it. but i raced it and met a geat bunch of people that helped me along the way...i learned
2 weeks ago i bought a used tc3 and vintage rims and tires... i think ya all know why. do i know how to set up a touring car, nope... never touched one, but i will learn and im sure that there are people that will help me along the way. will i get beat by the next best car out there..im sure but he will get the weight added for the win. its about time this sport / hobby became fun again.
after all it is just a toy...thanks for reading
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/groups/281683941894234/
deweycj5 is offline  
Old 04-12-2008, 03:30 AM   #750
Tech Regular
 
deweycj5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: "i did it all for the wookiee"
Posts: 280
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC View Post
Hey guys, i'm not sure how many people will use this... but I made a template of the HPI Cuda body for anyone looking to design a paint scheme. Enjoy!
thanks... i was looking for somthing like this
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/groups/281683941894234/
deweycj5 is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Georgia Vintage Trans Am Racing shadow102 Georgia Racing 725 02-24-2012 09:56 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Thursday Vintage Trans Am racing at Victory in Green Bay Brian F Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 13 05-10-2008 08:37 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:41 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net